Breastfeeding Schedule Confusion - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think he was nibbling but I did hear a couple gulps this morning. I gave him his bottle since he was hysterically hungry by the time we got home from taking DH to work. Then he was looking around so I put him to breast and he latched. It was nice not having him scream. Maybe next time he'll actually eat!

Stationed in Fairbanks. Wife to my amazing DH! Mommy to first born son Cody (12/4/09) and furr baby Shadow (04/30/07)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If he's latching on when he's *not* hungry, I'd see about trying to put him on the breast like every half hour (or a half hour after he's done) for a day. See if he decides he likes it...

I realize it won't help you get your chores done, but having the baby on your naked chest a lot is a good way to encourage baby to nurse...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:11 PM

Another suggestion with th nipple shield. Use your pump first for a few seconds to kind of "pull" your nipple out, then pop the shield on, and then try and latch him.

I got my son back to breast at 3 months and used the shield to do it. He was so used to bottles that the shield helped because it felt like a bottle nipple to him. It is kind of slippery and hard to keep on until you get used to it. But if you can get him on with it, then you should be able to wean him off the shield within a couple of weeks.

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 PM

Glad I'm not the only one with a super stubborn screaming baby. My DS #1 did the same thing and he was full term and healthy, just a stubborn little stinker. I never did get him to nurse, but things were the opposite with #2 that I can look back and be OK with everything.

I too have DDD and #2 was nearly 10lb when born. I found the cross-cradle the most comfortable (had to constantly hold breast while feeding). The Medela nursing stool helped me get my knees in a really good, confortable, stable position to lay baby on my lap with a full size pillow underneath. I wouldn't need to hold baby in place, but could concentrate on massaging my breast and stroke his head, face and hold his hands while he ate.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

LOL! You know those rings they make to sustain a man's erection? They should make little ones to keep nipples hard during BFing. I am sure there is something out there already but you know... it might help keep the shield on.

Stationed in Fairbanks. Wife to my amazing DH! Mommy to first born son Cody (12/4/09) and furr baby Shadow (04/30/07)!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:35 AM

I don't think the nipple needs to stay hard, mine never do. I wanted to suggest you try feeding him when he's asleep, or almost asleep, as they will often be more accepting then. Also, you can try feeding him with him on his back and you on your hands and knees over him (you might need to put him up on something and be at an angle so he can reach your nipple). to you mama.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 01-07-2010, 01:37 AM

I hope things are going well, Darryen.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Old 01-07-2010, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Not "well" but they are going and that's progress. I am not giving up on this bundle. I did have a break through of sorts today. For the first time since his birth I had feelings of protectiveness because he is mine and not just because he is helpless. I was also extremely... um randy today. I think my hormones are changing.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryen View Post
Not "well" but they are going and that's progress.
That IS progress. Hang in there, mama. The early days are rough for anyone and you've had more challenges than most. You're doing great
Have you been able to see a LC yet?

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Old 01-07-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

First LC didn't help. Gonna try another.

I know stress effects your milk supply. What can you all suggest I do when the stressor is daily and not going away for 2 months? There is a SGT at DH's work that is making things hard on us but there is not getting rid of him so I am trying to find a way to deal with it.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:25 AM

It's probably better if your nipples are not hard, as I would think (though I'm not an expert) that it would make it more difficult to latch on, and elongate the nipple. I have very short nipples, at the very first they actually turned in on themselves when I tried to position my DS to nurse! But eventually they all worked themselves out (but have never been hard). I was given a nipple shield in the hospital, but feeding was usually worse with it than without.
I use the Breastflow (or rather my DH does when I'm at work) and it does seem to work well. I've heard that it is much slower flow than even most "slow flow" nipples of other brands, and is supposed to (as you mentioned) work more like the breast. Since we've been using them, he's stopped pawing at me like he's trying to get more milk out! We bought them at Target, I don't know what you have available.
As for stress -- yikes! It's sounds like there's plenty! Since you probably can't reduce the sources of your stress, I would focus on trying to forget it when you're feeding (bottle, SNS, breast, whatever). I know that's easier said than done! For me (when my DS was younger and having feeding troubles), retiring to a quiet room to feed, watching TV (or not, sometimes it added to the stress, sometimes helped), putting on your (or baby's) favorite music (mine really likes soft piano music, which is great for me too!), lighting your favorite scented candle or some other "luxury", and just convincing yourself that the only thing in the world right then is feeding, and that even if it's not going well it's going to be ok. (Again, easier said than done!) I've even taken a bath and fed him in the bathtub (careful with that, of course, I didn't fill it very full and hands on him at all times). (He relaxed enough to poo, which he was having trouble with at that time! A swim diaper is a good thing!) The name of the game (as I'm sure you know) -- Experiment!

toddling baby boy born 7/09; running everywhere!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:28 AM

And as for LCs, keep trying until you find one that's working. I went through several. They're all very nice, I just think they are all exposed to different issues and have certain realms of knowledge and expertise. We finally did one by video conference -- it was a small fee, and we were able to talk to someone who was more familiar with our (admittedly somewhat rare) issues and helped us a lot! If you need a referral let me know.

Other than that, so glad things are getting a little bit better, and good luck with everything else!

Old 01-08-2010, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I tried taking a bath with him too because when we bathe him he FREAKS OUT!! It was really stressing me out to see him so red and hear him scream bloody murder than I just filled the bath about 3 inches and sat down with him on my chest. He wouldn't feed in there but we did get a bath with only a couple tears (he doesn't like his privates cleaned lol). They don't sell the swimmers trunks up here in the winter so I think I am going to have to order online. Right now I keep a diaper right beside the tub in case we need one for poo in an emergency. My section wound is completely healed now so I'm not worry about him peeing on me though he hasn't yet.

You know what is really upsetting? People asking me how its going. My mom asks all the time. Even on here you all don't ask me if I BFed today... you simply support and encourage. I know my family means well but its a dagger in my heart every time they ask. I lie and say it is going well so they don't ask anything else. If I asked them to stop they would be all concerned and wanna talk about it... /sigh

Old 01-08-2010, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD was born in January and *hated* being bathed... we tried the tub, we tried sponge baths... she hated it. Our pediatrician suggested we try showering with her. She LOVED it... she'd put her head back so the back of her head was in the water and swish it back and forth... just the cutest thing ever...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

I should try that.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
(he doesn't like his privates cleaned lol).
My DS was very upset when touched when he was born -- didn't like changing, bathing, didn't even really like his feet touching anything. It's like he was hypersensitive or something. He still screams when I change him at night and he's only half awake. Good thing DH is a heavy sleeper! (or not... )

Quote:
You know what is really upsetting? People asking me how its going.
I felt like I spent so much time dealing with it all, I didn't even want to be reminded about it when I was doing something else! It was the stress I think.

User Tag List