prepping to nurse baby #2? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-10-2010, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone doing anything to prep for nursing baby #2 or 3, or 4? I nursed DD for almost 3 years, we weaned a month before her birthday this past March, so I have lots of experience. But nursing a toddler and nursing a newborn are two totally different things and it will have been 4 years since I nursed a newborn. Will it all come back to me? Or should I take breastfeeding class again? Read some books? Is anyone else doing anything?

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-10-2010, 03:42 AM

I was amazed at how easy #2 was. With #1 we were both learning. With #2 I felt like I knew what I was doing and could guide her. It felt so natural the second time around.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#3 of 5 Old 01-10-2010, 11:02 AM

i nursed my first for 18 months and it was a breeze from the start. This time around I had a lot of trouble in the beginning, DD#2 had a really high palate and getting her latched on was such a struggle and so frustrating. Even 8 weeks in we were still struggling. I was so glad I'd had a good experience the first time around to encourage me to power through that time, I'm so glad she was my second or I'd probably have given up on nursing her. I can now see how first time moms can give up! She's now almost 5 months old and nursing great though.

So I think it all comes back and there is no need for classes, but each baby is so different, it can never hurt.
#4 of 5 Old 01-10-2010, 11:52 PM

For me it had been almost 8 yrs., so I refreshed my copy of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
#5 of 5 Old 01-11-2010, 12:06 AM

I second reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. My girls are only 17 months apart, but world apart in how they nursed at the beginning. I was very lucky with my 1st. She latched right away. Slept 3-4 hours until about 3 months and STTN (5-6 hrs). We had the initial 6 weeks of learning, but she was born to nurse!

My LO was much different. Nipple confusion, nursing every 1.5 hrs until nearly 8 months and then still nursed all night long. It was a completely different experience. One I didn't anticipate, either. I really thought she'd be just like her sister (boy was I wrong-she's nothing like her sister in anything) I think you have an advantage by asking all these questions! Just the knowlege of knowing it may be different is good. I'd also read up on a good latch, too. I hadn't realized the lazyiness in my toddlers latch until I was teavhing a newborn to do it properly!

Christine, Brain Aneurysm Survivor SAHM, recently stopped nursing my 4.5 yr old and 3 yr old selective and delayed vax, organic food mama to Rhiannon 4.5 and Brynn 3 ribbonburgundy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page