Help - 8 week old refusing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-10-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd is 8 weeks old. Bf has been going very well. Two days ago, she increased her nursing frequency - about every 2 hours during the day and every 4 through the night. Yesterday, she nursed normally throughout the day, maybe nursing longer than usual at several feedings. Around 8 I offered a feeding before she fell asleep (usually last feeding before bed). She was not interested. She woke at midnight, when she refused my left breast but accepted the right without complaint.

She woke again at 5:30. I offered my left side first, since it's a little fuller. She refused, crying and screaming. I eventually calmed her and offered the other side - same thing. I just held her skin to skin. She would calm and start to search, I'd offer and as soon as my breast was near her mouth, she'd start to cry again - a really sad, betrayed kind if cry, like I just wasn't doing what she needed. I did give her a pacifier to help her settle. She doesn't like them for "casual" use but she does take them when she;s upset.

Background: She is offered about 2-3 bottles of expressed milk per week. She accepts these, so far without any confusion or complaint. I have no pain, redness, cracks, etc. so I don't think I have yeast (however, I did eay popcorn with brewer's yeast during the past couple of days). She has had what seems to be a mild sinus infection - a few instances over the past week of wiping or sucking green snot, but otherwise, she has not complained, had a fever, or showed difficulty breathing.

know it's only been one feeding like this so far, but it's just so unusual for her that I'm looking for answers. Help!
#2 of 5 Old 01-10-2010, 11:07 AM

My dd did just what you're describing when she had an ear infection. It wasn't even very infected, just red, but it must have hurt enough to lay and have to suck so hard to nurse, she just wouldn't do it. Not even 24 hours of antibiotics and she was a new baby. Can you take her in somewhere today to get her ears checked? Also maybe trying to help her nurse in an upright position, if it's her ears, it may hurt less if she can nurse sitting up, maybe not comfortable, but it could help.
#3 of 5 Old 01-10-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Oh man, I was kind of afraid of that. She was touching one of her ears yesterday while she nursed, but I was thinking/hoping it was a proximity, twiddling thing. But given some recent sinus congestion, it could really make sense. She has a well-baby check on Wed - I was hoping to make it until then, but I don't want her to suffer, if that's what it is. Poor babe.
#4 of 5 Old 01-10-2010, 11:55 PM

My DS started doing this around 12-14 wks. of age. I figured out finally he either needed burped or to change position. He likes the cradle hold for the right breast and the football hold for the left. Could you try to change positions?

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
#5 of 5 Old 01-14-2010, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Turns out it was thrush! I had no symptoms until after the dx, and even then they were mild. She had her tongue painted and I got Nystantin. She seems better. Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page