What nursing bras/tanks to buy before the baby is born? (& see ? on post #15) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2010, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I feel like such a newbie. (well, I guess that's okay, since I am) ...but I feel like this is way more complicated than it should be. I cannot figure out what sort of nursing undergarments to get. There's the nursing tanks, sleep bras, nursing bras.....Should I get one of each?.... and then there's Motherhood, Bravado, Target...and probably tons of brands I've never heard of.

Here are my concerns/requirements:

--I do not want the uni-boob effect and I generally wear supportive underwire bras & like just enough padding to not show the nippies. (I know underwire is probably a no-no while breastfeeding.)
--I want to be able to easily and discreetly nurse with all of the visitors coming in the first few weeks. (I have a nursing cover, but don't want to have to use it all the time.)
--I need to be able to order it online.
--I'll need something that can deal with the changing breast size.
--I don't usually like wearing undershirts, so I'm concerned that I wouldn't like nursing tanks, but everyone says they're so nice for not showing the tummy while nursing. (but maybe I'd like it for wearing by itself, around the house? or to bed?), I usually like my shirts long, and I only saw one brand that had a "long." ...but then I heard the Bravado has a better fit...
--If it matters I'm a 36D prepregnancy...and at 33 weeks I'm wearing a 40D. So I'm kinda busty and med/large framed.
--Between Bravado, target, and motherhood, there's quite a difference in price. If it's worth it, I'll get a better brand. If I can save money and get something just as good, I'd like to do that.

Oh! Some guidance would be lovely! I really want to cross this off of my "to do" list. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would only buy 1 or 2 before the baby comes -- you have no way of knowing yet what size you'll be once your milk comes in and then you'll go down a bit once your supply stabilizes... So you only need 1-2 to get through the first few weeks & then you'll have a better idea of what to get if you end up needing a different size.

I have 3 and I think they are all 36D or DD??

One is from Walmart, it's kind of sports-bra style with really wide thick straps. I hate the way it looks but it fits best under clothes and it's the easiest to undo. I think it's Bestform or Maidenform or some brand like that. That's the one I wear most.

I also have a really nice-looking one from Target that's kind of more silky/satiny but it's not supportive enough & the material is thin so it's hard to undo quickly. I only wear it occasionally.

Then I have a nursing tank from Target (I think)... It does give a uniboob effect and doesn't hold me in as well. But I liked it in the beginning to sleep because I leaked A LOT so I could fold a burp cloth and sleep with it in there to catch the leaks. I also wore it a lot in the summer with my summer shirts which were a little skimpier (my fall/winter shirts generally have enough extra fabric to drape & cover my tummy.

And yes, avoid underwire... feels weird at first to not have the wire but I think it can cause clogged ducts and stuff.

OH!! And you can also nurse with a regular bra... just pop it out over the top -- but depending on the bra it might be a little tricky to get it out quickly & discretely.

HTH!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 01-10-2010, 11:06 PM

I have only tried Bravado, but really like them. Not so much uniboob! The ones made from bamboo are longer than the regular cotton ones, for some reason. If you're worried about not spending too much, though, I'd go with 2-3 good nursing bras and some cheap regular tanks with a low neck, so you can wear them underneath, and then pull your topshirt up, undo your nursing bra, and pull your boob over the top of the tank. Then your belly is covered and you're covered across the top too. That's what I do mostly these days,and it's very discreet.

Lindsay, mama to Owen (06.08) and Sadie (05.11) wool.gifpartner to the amazing J. 
Old 01-10-2010, 11:11 PM

I ended up just going with the Gillian O'Malley brand nursing bras and tanks from Target (my baby came early, so my research got abbreviated and I needed something to hold in the boobs asap) - I have been very happy with the bras, the tanks are actually fairly supportive for shelf bras, but aren't big enough to fully contain my boobs unless I'm wearing another bra under them. But I am a 42DD/DDD at the moment, so that won't be an issue for everyone.

The underwires actually don't bother me at all. I thought they would, but it turns out to just be nice to have the extra support.

I do like to wear a tank under my shirt so I don't feel like I'm just exposing my entire torso when I nurse, so sometimes I wear a nursing bra AND a nursing tank. It's like armor.

Otherwise I might wear a regular cami under my shirt/over my bra and just pull it down under my boob when my baby wants to nurse.

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
Old 01-10-2010, 11:20 PM

I loooooove the Bravado nursing tank. I only bought one at first, because they were so expensive....but now that my son is 4.5 weeks old I have also bought 2 others in different colors because they are so comfy and easy to wear.

I am in a wedding/corporate party band and had a "gig" on New Years eve....I wore the blank nursing tank from Bravado with a (fake) diamond pin on it to dress it up (I also had a sparkly jacket, etc...)-- since I had to go to the parking lot and pump during the job (twice!). It was a huge hit, and got lots of compliments. Imagine the surprised look when I shared that it was a nursing tank!! No uniboob here!

I am 5'6" and currently 150lbs with a 36DD/E chest if that helps....
Old 01-11-2010, 12:59 AM

Get a nursing tank from Target. They are $16.99.

ETA: I am a 44 DD(D when I'm nursing) and I still love the tank.

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post
--If it matters I'm a 36D prepregnancy...and at 33 weeks I'm wearing a 40D. So I'm kinda busty and med/large framed.
--Between Bravado, target, and motherhood, there's quite a difference in price. If it's worth it, I'll get a better brand. If I can save money and get something just as good, I'd like to do that.

Oh! Some guidance would be lovely! I really want to cross this off of my "to do" list. Thanks.
you sound just like I did three months ago. I now have a two month old am in a 40DD. Suprisingly, walmart.com had some great deals with nursing bras and tanks. They were both 2 for $20. They are really great for wearing around the house and super descrete wearing under a cardigan.
I also hate the uni-boob look too!! these aren't that bad and they are pretty comfortable since they don't have underwires.

Here's a link:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5026122#rr

Hope this helps!

Natalie, wife to Aaron, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, non-vaxing SAHmama to two girls Addysen,(4/07), and Elliot,(10/09)
Old 01-11-2010, 01:43 AM

For bras, I love the Bravado Original Nursing Bra. Incredibly comfortable and reasonably flattering (it is the only non-underwire, non-molded cup bra I would ever wear to work).

For tanks, I have a Bravado and a Glamourmom. The Bravado is more flattering but the Glamourmom is easier to use (I can't undo the Bravado nursing clips one-handed). I notice there is a new Glamourmom specifically for large sizes that has the same puckered seams as the Bravado; if I were getting another nursing tank I would get that one.

--I do not want the uni-boob effect
Glamourmom does give a uniboob but Bravado does not, it is amazing how supportive and flattering it is without an underwire or a molded cup. It is more flattering than any regular non-nursing tank top I have ever had, for sure. I will probably continue to wear it long after I am no longer nursing.

I want to be able to easily and discreetly nurse with all of the visitors coming in the first few weeks.
Is this your first baby? If so I would give up on the idea of being able to nurse 'discreetly' for the first month or so. Nothing to do with your underwear, it just takes practice and you need to see what you're doing. Seriously I couldn't even latch dd on without assistance most of the time for the first couple of weeks (DH had to hold her flailing arms).

You might do better to limit the visitors, at least early on.

I'll need something that can deal with the changing breast size.
I think most nursing-wear is designed to accommodate fluctuating boobs.
Both the Bravado and Glamourmom cover a range of sizes, I think the Bravado range is wider than the Glamourmom range though.

I don't usually like wearing undershirts, so I'm concerned that I wouldn't like nursing tanks, but everyone says they're so nice for not showing the tummy while nursing.
It's true, but you can also use a Bella Band or similar if you have one.
If you're not sure you'll use it, just get one and see whether you find it useful. I don't actually use the nursing tanks that often so I didn't get more than two; but some women live in them.

If it matters I'm a 36D prepregnancy...and at 33 weeks I'm wearing a 40D. So I'm kinda busty and med/large framed.
FYI the Glamourmoms run rather small; I take a medium and I'm almost always a small in any other clothing.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:51 AM

I have lived in nursing tanks for almost two years now--couldn't find a comfortable and supportive nursing bra. I hate the bared stomach anyway...Target are my everyday ones, and now have two slings instead of one, but it is still a little uni-booby. Still, they are comfy and cheap. Expressiva are my favorites--supportive and cute. I have one Glamourmom (the plastic lining along the seams bothers my skin). I do think that tanks help with discreetness;there is fabric to cover almost everything!

I bought several before the baby came with my mom lined up to return the ones that didn't fit. Maybe you could order some online and sent back the wrong sizes? I didn't want to have to deal with shopping right after the baby came.

Single HB mama to 2!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:57 AM

I have some Glamourmom tanks, and I love them. I havent noticed a uniboob with mine, maybe I'll have to take a closer look at myself tmrw! I also dont think mine have a plastic lining?

It might be a good choice if you are wanting a long tank, I'm 5'10 and they fit me really well. Its usually really hard for me to find tanks that are not too short.

They are also pretty easy to snap/unsnap with one hand while you are holding baby.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
Old 01-11-2010, 04:07 PM

I bought all of my nursing tanks and bras from Target and love them. The nursing tanks (although slightly uniboobish) accomodate the size fluctuations pretty well and are great for sleeping in, I didn't buy the nursing bras until after ds was born and my milk came in to see how large of a size I would actually need.

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

Old 01-11-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambera View Post
If so I would give up on the idea of being able to nurse 'discreetly' for the first month or so. Nothing to do with your underwear, it just takes practice and you need to see what you're doing.
As a recent first timer, ITA with this. I have a 'modest' nursing style tank from motherhood (with the little slits behind the drop down) and I really don't care for it. I have a G & O tank from target that is open behind the drop down and love that one. Depends on your relationship with people, but I've had no problem telling my dad/brothers to look away, and then I cover anything excessive with DS blanket. I think it has contributed to a good nursing relationship so far.

In addition to the tanks, I have one soft cup nursing bra (motherhood clearance), bought 1 cup size up from my pgcy size and that has held me over for awhile. I id not want to invest in anything until I knew my size.

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

Old 01-11-2010, 06:03 PM

I love the nursing tanks from Target, I wear them 24/7! They are super comfy and easy to open and close one-handed. And the length is good (not too short), which I like.

Happily married to my hero and SAHMama to 4 precious gifts from God
Old 01-11-2010, 06:05 PM

I have two Belebumbum bras, and they are wonderful and beautiful. The small fit me from a C cup down to a full A over the course of my size leveling out. No underwire, but still gave me lift and support. Sigh. I love them so much... They are pricey, though. I'm 20 months PP, though, and they're all I wear when I'm not in a sports bra. They're the ONLY bra that has worked for more than a few months at a time.

If in doubt, any "sleeping bra" is easy enough to pull to the side to be reasonably discreet (although like PP mentioned, I wouldn't hold my breath), and will be comfortable through several sizes.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, Need some advice the the target ones. There is "full sling," "side sling," & "lift up."

Which are the ones that you all like?

...and I think I've decided what I'm getting. This sleep bra & this nursing bra from motherhood. Maybe 1 nursing tank from Target. ...then after my size levels out (when does that happen btw?), I'll invest in either Bravado (maybe bamboo?), or Glamourmom (full bust long style) nursing tanks....and then a few nursing bras from either of those places, motherhood, or Target.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Okay, Need some advice the the target ones. There is "full sling," "side sling," & "lift up."

I hope others chime in on this, as my local Target only had the full sling. I purchased two of them and they have been lifesavers for nighttime nursing, so I do recommend them. They are not flattering (on me) for going out or having guests over, though.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:

...and I think I've decided what I'm getting. This sleep bra & this nursing bra from motherhood. Maybe 1 nursing tank from Target. ...then after my size levels out (when does that happen btw?), I'll invest in either Bravado (maybe bamboo?), or Glamourmom (full bust long style) nursing tanks....and then a few nursing bras from either of those places, motherhood, or Target.

I'm a 40D and went wit the full sling. My chest was too full for the side sling. I didn't see the lift-up, but would have concerns that my nipples wouldn't line up wit the small slits.
I ordered 2 and plan to get something else after LO arrives that will offer more support.
with my 1st it took about 3 weeks to level out. I went from a barely B to a DD in that time.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 01-11-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:

I'm shopping around for the same things - a bit hesitant to buy this and that seeing I'm not sure what size I'll be, but I've only gone up from a 34C to a 36C during this pregnancy - same went for the 1st one. So, I'm going to assume that I'll be a full C, possibly D when my milk comes in.

I really like the styles that you've chosen on the Motherhood website!!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
Old 01-11-2010, 07:10 PM

I know you've already narrowed down your choices, but I have to mention my favorite nursing cami of all time by Bella Materna. I love Bella Materna - great fashionable styles in a fabric that just lasts and lasts (I wore them everyday for 3+ years and they still look great).

Here is their anytime cami which is supportive and beautiful on (they also have plus sizes and other styles).

http://www.bellamaterna.com/shop/Any...5332-2141.aspx
Old 01-11-2010, 07:11 PM

And Motherhood is having this sale tody: http://www.motherhood.com/

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
Old 01-11-2010, 07:36 PM

I have both the full sling and side sling and I like the side sling better (but I'm generally a B cup so I don't need that much support!)

Happily married to my hero and SAHMama to 4 precious gifts from God
Old 01-11-2010, 07:59 PM

The one I have is side sling, and I like it. I'm a 34E/F, and it's good enough support.

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

Old 01-11-2010, 09:36 PM

I also highly recommend the Bravado tanks and bras. My SIL convinced me to buy them while I was pregnant, but I didn't like them at the time- I preferred the ones I bought at Motherhood and thought I had wasted a lot of money. However, now that I'm actually nursing, the Bravados are perfect.

I also really like a sleeping bra that I bought at Motherhood. It is so comfy and you don't have to unclip it. You just pull it down. I still leak quite a bit (DS is 4 mo) and it's just enough to keep a nursing pad in place but not be uncomfortable.

The Bravado nursing pads are also my favorite. They're way more absorbent than any of the other kinds that I've used. The only problem with them is that Lansinoh will slightly discolor them. I swear I'm not selling Bravado or anything- I just really like their stuff!

User Tag List