FT WOHM having trouble with weight gain and getting 9 1/2 to eat at breast at home...need help/encouragement! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I am a FT WOHM to a 9 1/2 month old nursling (and his 2 1/2 yo big brother, who doesn't nurse)...he is a petite thing...born 6 lbs 6 oz at 39 weeks, and has always been right around the 5th percentile for weight...the ped has never shown concern or even mentioned the idea of supplementing...but at his 9 month appt, he dropped to just under the 1st percentile, and she started to get concerned...he's just not gaining like he should...I feed on demand when he's at home, but lately he's been refusing all but his overnight (usually up once a night, occasionally sleeps through) and early morning feedings from the breast...and he will only drink about 8 oz of ebm while at daycare, and we've started giving him a 6 oz bottle in the evenings if he he absolutely won't eat from the breast - sometimes he drinks it, sometimes he doesn't...I'm really concerned about his intake, because I KNOW it hasn't been what it should be...but it's not for lack of me offering! I don't force him or push the issue, but I don't know what else to do! the ped had suggested adding a 1/2 tsp of formula for every 3 oz of bm we give him in a bottle...so I started that late last week, and it just kills me!

Any suggestions? he LOVES his solids...what calorie/nutrient dense foods can I try feeding him to help with his weight gain? I don't want to keep giving him oatmeal mixed with ebm every night...the kid needs variety!

I do have a healthy freezer stash, but if I continue having to give him so many bottles, I doubt it will last until he's a year, after which I won't have to worry about pumping and bottles as much...

ETA: my goal has always been for Peanut to not get a drop of formula (obviously didn't happen ), and to breastfeed as long as HE wants to...I had dreamt of going until he was at least 2, but that is quickly going out the window...I only lasted about 5 weeks with my first son, so this is new territory to me...I've worked so hard to breastfeed this time, and pump all.the.time to have enough of a freezer stash so I'd never have to worry that he'd have bm to drink...I feel like an utter failure right now...

Wife to my lobster, mama to Dude (6/07), Monkey (3/09), 3 puppers and unexpectedly expecting #3 (edd late June/early July '11)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 01:02 PM

You could try some lentils or chickpeas... they have lots of nutrients and iron. Just boil them (if they are dried) and mix them with some bm. My DS loves cheese and yogurt as well but he is a little bit older (11 months).

27 yo mother of DS 02/07/09 & DD 11/13/10. 
Old 01-11-2010, 01:04 PM

Oh Mama. You are not a failure. You and your little one can overcome this. Was the growth chart used for formula fed babies? I know our docs office, and most use them. Here is a link to one for breastfed babies...

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...wthcharts.html

I don't have too much time right now, my little man just woke up. Avocado. That is the only thing I can think of right now. I'll be back later. Hugs Mama!

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

Old 01-11-2010, 01:08 PM

Avocado is extremely nutrient/fat-dense, and easy to mix in with other things (like applesauce or banana) for variety. It's best to buy fresh avocados and just mash them as you need them, as opposed to buying commercial baby food. The nutrition in fresh is much better.

I wouldn't be concerned about the tiny bit of formula he is receiving. You could offer that portion in a sippy cup at mealtime, even, and just think of it as a beverage if that helps you get past your opposition to it. I know there are a lot of reasons to oppose formula, but this doesn't seem like one of those situations.

Are you having issues with your supply as well, or is it just the fact that he doesn't seem interested in nursing frequently? Do you feel like he is getting plenty of milk when he does nurse?

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
Old 01-11-2010, 03:50 PM

You are not a failure! You are doing great and are so loving, concerned, and working so hard for your baby. DS really liked yogurt (full fat) mixed with pureed fruit at that age. He also really liked pureed sweet potato and squash, but I am not sure how calorie rich those are. Maybe your LO is on a bit of a nursing strike? At 9 mos. mine would not nurse hardly at all for several days, and then just gradually got back to it. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebsmommy25 View Post
Oh Mama. You are not a failure. You and your little one can overcome this. Was the growth chart used for formula fed babies? I know our docs office, and most use them. Here is a link to one for breastfed babies...

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...wthcharts.html

I don't have too much time right now, my little man just woke up. Avocado. That is the only thing I can think of right now. I'll be back later. Hugs Mama!
I could KISS you seriously...our ped is very, very pro-bf'ing and waiting until 6 months for solids, so I just assumed she'd been using a chart specific to breastfed babies...but looking at the chart in the link you posted, Peanut is actually around the 17th - 18th percentile for weight...I could cry, I'm so relieved - I feel like a huge weight has been lifted!

ETA: I just plotted his weights on the bf'ing specific chart - he is the typical bf baby! Spiked in the first 2 months, and has been leveling off since then, with even a bit of a jump between 6 and 9 months!

Wife to my lobster, mama to Dude (6/07), Monkey (3/09), 3 puppers and unexpectedly expecting #3 (edd late June/early July '11)!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye_mama View Post
ETA: I just plotted his weights on the bf'ing specific chart - he is the typical bf baby! Spiked in the first 2 months, and has been leveling off since then, with even a bit of a jump between 6 and 9 months!
Just came to post this! Aren't the WHO charts great? And I love that they are a standard for ALL babies - this is how babies normally grow under optimal conditions (which includes being breastfed) If you want one to print out for your ped, here is the official version http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand...boys_p_0_2.pdf

And remember, it isn't about being a certain percentile - it's about following a curve.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:48 PM

HOORAY!!!

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

User Tag List