latch-delatch-latch-delatch at night - waking himself up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is 6.5 months, and used to sleep okay at night - waking 1 or 2 times to nurse, and usually giving me a 3 or 4 hour stretch somewhere which was nice. The last week though he's been waking every 2 hours to nurse, plus nursing a lot during the day - I suspect a growth spurt, though its been a long time so that seems odd.

But the really difficult part of this is that one of the night nursing sessions (or more than one) he'll latch on, delatch, look for nipple again, repeat - for like a dozen times. I don't get what is going on. He's getting milk, though not sure how the letdown is functioning with this on/off thing - but it inevitably ends up waking him (and me) way more up than a regular just latch on sleepy nursing session.

Plus, he has two bottom teeth and tends not to always open super wide for a latch on, and its dark, so it ends up hurting a bit w/ that many latch-ons!

I just can't figure out what is causing this - its not distraction, since he doesn't look around or anything, and at first his eyes are closed as well, he just pops off, pops on, pops off, pops on, ad infinitum. Eventually all the popping wakes him up more and we often have to bounce him back to sleep in the middle of the night. Last night it was the 2am session that did this, and I ended up bouncing him but he had gotten a wind so it wasn't until 3am that he started to be more tired again, and then he even was doing his hungry cry, so I nursed him to sleep around 315am.

its just super tiring! I don't even mind nursing every two hours, its just that for the last 6 nights at least one of the sessions results in him awake and for an hour or so, DH and I are both exhausted.

my only guesses:

teething? though he isn't showing huge signs of it during the day, I'm guessing his top teeth are coming through soon based on looks

tummy issues? I was on antibiotics last week for bronchitis, and some of his digestive stuff does seem a little wonky (some diarrhea, pooing in the evening which is unusual for him, etc)

flow issue? He's nursing so much that I am often not very full with at least one or two sessions at night, so maybe he's just frustrated? I tried squeezing a boob this morning when he was doing it and that seemed to keep him on a bit more, but he might have been wanting to stay on anyway so its hard to tell.

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

User Tag List