Nursing Strike? Getting worried/discouraged... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, all

I kind of posted a little about this in a previous thread, but this is a little more detailed and kind of a different side of that issue...

DS2 is 9 1/2 months old...he's always been a peanut - born at 6 lbs 6 oz, and has been in the 1st - 5th percentiles ever since for weight...at his 9 month appt, our ped was concerned over his weight gain, so she has had us starting to add just a bit of formula powder to his ebm...

also, DH is not 100% supportive of my bf'ing...if he had his way, we would have switched him to formula after the first few weeks, like we had done with DS1 and before I educated myself more...

I WOH FT, and DS2 has been going to daycare with his older brother since he was 12 weeks old...he was fairly resistant to the bottle at first, but got used to it quickly...we have always used the newborn flow nipples, although over the last few weeks, DH has been poking holes to allow for faster flow, and now wants me to get the fast flow nipples...I had to fight for it, but we did "delay" solids until 6 months...but right at 6 months, he immediately went to 2x/day at daycare (stupid "regulations" > ), and DH was pushing to make sure he had the 3rd helping at home in the evenings (usually before I got home from work)...

his usual routine is to drink an 8 oz bottle of ebm at daycare in the mornings, but generally he refuses the bottle in the afternoon (from time to time drinks *maybe* 1-2 oz of it)...he has previously nursed fine in the evenings, at night, and in the morning...a majority of the time he is up once a night to eat, sometimes sleeping through and sometimes getting up twice...

he's had a lot going on lately - teething, crawling, having a cold/cough, and generally being interested in everything going on around him...

whew...all that being said, this is my issue:

I think he's on a nursing strike...he cries and arches anytime I try to offer him the right breast, and has even started refusing the left (previously, "righty" was his favorite)...in fact, yesterday he didn't eat from the breast at ALL - completely refused and he only took about 2 oz total at daycare, which is odd in and of itself...and he refused this morning, too, which is when he usually nurses best...he did gulp down a bottle, though...his intake is on the low side to begin with, so I've had to resort to giving him bottles more and more after we try the breast...I'm really getting upset and sad...I know it's common for babies to go through nursing strikes at this age, and I hope that's all this is...but DH is already talking about me having to possibly resign myself to the fact that he may have to be exclusively bottle fed (ebm as long as my freezer/pumping stash lasts - I have a lot frozen, but I don't think it would get us to a year)...

I don't know what I"m looking for, really...any BTDT success stories? What else can I do but offer, offer, offer?? I've tried teething tablets, coaxing, cuddling, etc...should I stop using a binky completely while he's on strike? he's never had an issue with it before...

If you've made it this far, thank you!!

Wife to my lobster, mama to Dude (6/07), Monkey (3/09), 3 puppers and unexpectedly expecting #3 (edd late June/early July '11)!
#2 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 04:06 PM

I'm not an expert by any means, so hopefully you'll get some other replies soon. Here's what I'm thinking, though: Maybe go back to the slow flow nipples - make him have to suck a bit more from the bottle too. Also have you looked in his mouth for thrush? My (much younger) dd was doing what you described and I though she may have had an ear infection, but it turned out to be thrush. I didn't have any of the symptoms until after the dx (and then they were mild). Good luck!
#3 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

PAK

hmmm...i never even thought about thrush...does anyone know if it can cause slightly sour breath in infants? i did just recently finish a course of antibiotics for mastitis, and it's only been over the last few days to a week that I've noticed something different about DS2's breath...I've also had brief, slightly painful shooting pains in my breasts at what I thought were kind of odd times, but I put that down to DS refusing to eat off the boob and needing to pump...hmmm...I've also had some tenderness/soreness when I first start pumping, but just figured that I might be getting ready to start af...she's been gone for almost 19 months, and I keep thinking she's going to show any day

I'll have to have DH check his mouth when he picks him up tonight...

ETA: DS's daycare just called - he refused BOTH bottles today...that is not like him...usually he downs 8 oz without thinking in the mornings...whatever it is, it's getting worse...

Wife to my lobster, mama to Dude (6/07), Monkey (3/09), 3 puppers and unexpectedly expecting #3 (edd late June/early July '11)!
#4 of 10 Old 01-14-2010, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

all DS had yesterday was 4 oz of ebm in the morning (after refusing the breast), and 8 oz of ebm when he got home...he completely refused both bottles at daycare, and refused the breast again last night...he STTN, but we did have minor success this morning - he actually ate off the left side for a few minutes...woo hoo! it wasn't much, but I'll take anything...that was the first time he ate off the breast since monday...I did make sure to have some skin to skin time last night before I put him to bed, and I'll keep doing that each night...

I still have no clue if it's thrush...I tried looking in his mouth last night, and I thought there could maybe be a little white on the roof of his mouth, but I couldn't tell for sure...and my nips are getting more sore/tender each day...but again, I've been feeling twinges, etc in my ovaries, so I don't know if it's just AF getting ready to rear her ugly head after so long...

#5 of 10 Old 01-15-2010, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

he nursed, he nursed, he nursed!! I got him up for a dream feed last night, and he ate both sides...and again when I got him up this morning!! such relief...and happiness! how I missed it...

#6 of 10 Old 01-15-2010, 11:58 PM

Yay!! I've been following this and am happy to hear he's nursing again.

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
#7 of 10 Old 01-16-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, mama unfortunately, he refused BOTH bottles at daycare yesterday...but I got him up for a dream feed last night, and ever since he's been doing GREAT...nursed all day today (4-5 times), and I didn't have to give him any ebm *knock on wood*, but I am hoping this means the strike is over!

#8 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 09:30 PM

buckeye, I'm sooo happy for you! I am going through the same exact thing, and it is heart wrenching. I think breastfeeding is stronger than a drug because nursing strikes are an awful kind of withdrawal. At this point, I would be happy if he nursed all night long!!! I just wanted to say that I was happy for you. I know exactly how you feel.

Mom of 2 feisty boys and 1 busy business --Tmuffin--where we help moms connect through birth, babywearing, play, and parenthood.

#9 of 10 Old 01-25-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbutterflykissesm View Post
buckeye, I'm sooo happy for you! I am going through the same exact thing, and it is heart wrenching. I think breastfeeding is stronger than a drug because nursing strikes are an awful kind of withdrawal. At this point, I would be happy if he nursed all night long!!! I just wanted to say that I was happy for you. I know exactly how you feel.
thanks, mama...that was one rough, rough week...but he's back to being an enthusiastic nurser although I think the strike is going to result in af making her way back to me...I guess I can't complain, not having her show for 19 months...but I'm not ready for her to come back any more than I'm ready to wean DS

#10 of 10 Old 01-25-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye_mama View Post
thanks, mama...that was one rough, rough week...but he's back to being an enthusiastic nurser although I think the strike is going to result in af making her way back to me...I guess I can't complain, not having her show for 19 months...but I'm not ready for her to come back any more than I'm ready to wean DS
I am glad that everything is working out, but why is your husband so resistant?

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page