Need help with a little survey. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-13-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm doing a little survey about breastfeeding and weight loss. If anyone would like to share here is the info I need.

1. Did you lose weight while breastfeeding?
2. Would you describe your weightloss as 1. significant 2.just a little 3. none or 4. I gained weight?
3. How long did you breastfeed?
4. How long did you exclusively breastfeed?
5. Did you go to work or have to spend time away from your infant while you were exclusively breastfeeding? If so, when did you start spending time away from your infant, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen?
6. If you had to supplement at any point during your exclusive breastfeeding please describe why.
7. Did you cosleep?
8. For those who delayed introduction of solid until after at least 9 months, did you notice continued weight loss after your baby turned 6 months? For those who introduced solids at 6 months or prior to 6 months, did you notice any continued weight loss after you baby turned 6 months?
9. For everyone, once your child was eating solids did you have to spend time away from your baby on a regular basis (like for work)? If so at what age was this, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen, if any?
10. Did you feed on demand?
11. Did you use pacifiers?
12. What was your pre-pregnancy weight? What was your weight right before your baby was born? What was your weight after delivery? What is your current weight?

So here is an example with my answers:
1. Did you lose weight while breastfeeding? Yes.
2. Would you describe your weightloss as 1. significant 2.just a little 3. none or 4. I gained weight? 1. significant
3. How long did you breastfeed? My son is turning 2 in February and still breastfeeding.
4. How long did you exclusively breastfeed? Until 12 months.
5. Did you go to work or have to spend time away from your infant while you were exclusively breastfeeding? If so, when did you start spending time away from your infant, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen? No.
6. If you had to supplement at any point during your exclusive breastfeeding please describe why. No.
7. Did you cosleep? Yes.
8. For those who delayed introduction of solid until after at least 9 months, did you notice continued weight loss after your baby turned 6 months? Yes, in fact I notice a dropped down past my pre-prego weight after the 6 month mark. I continued to lose into the 2nd year of breastfeeding. For those who introduced solids at 6 months or prior to 6 months, did you notice any continued weight loss after you baby turned 6 months?
9. For everyone, once your child was eating solids did you have to spend time away from your baby on a regular basis (like for work)? If so at what age was this, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen, if any? No
10. Did you feed on demand? Yes
11. Did you use pacifiers? No.
12. What was your pre-pregnancy weight? 124lbs What was your weigh right before your baby was born? 153lbsWhat was your weight after your baby was born, if you know? in the high 130s or low 140s i think. What is your current weight. 117lbs

Thanks to everyone who can help out! Please pm me with your responses.

***I just cleared out my inbox so it is ready to receive***

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#2 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 01:48 AM

1. Did you lose weight while breastfeeding? no
2. Would you describe your weightloss as 1. significant 2.just a little 3. none or 4. I gained weight? 4
3. How long did you breastfeed? 2.5 mos, 6 mos, ep 6 mos, 26.5 mos, 3 mos still nursing
4. How long did you exclusively breastfeed? 2.5 mos, 6 mos, 0 mos, 6 mos, still ebf
5. Did you go to work or have to spend time away from your infant while you were exclusively breastfeeding? If so, when did you start spending time away from your infant, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen? no
6. If you had to supplement at any point during your exclusive breastfeeding please describe why. babies #3 (30 wks) and #4 (35 wks)were on hmf briefly
7. Did you cosleep? yes
8. For those who delayed introduction of solid until after at least 9 months, did you notice continued weight loss after your baby turned 6 months? For those who introduced solids at 6 months or prior to 6 months, did you notice any continued weight loss after you baby turned 6 months? no
9. For everyone, once your child was eating solids did you have to spend time away from your baby on a regular basis (like for work)? If so at what age was this, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen, if any? no
10. Did you feed on demand? yes
11. Did you use pacifiers?yes, no, yes, no, no
12. What was your pre-pregnancy weight? What was your weight right before your baby was born? What was your weight after delivery? What is your current weight?
155-204-189; 150-170-160; 155-170-155; 155-197-188; 165-170-155 and currently i'm 180. i've gained 25lbs since her birth and usually gained about 25 lbs while bf. i have 5 kids so answered as such.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#3 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 02:27 AM

1. Did you lose weight while breastfeeding? I lost the weight I gained during pregnancy and a few pounds more.
2. Would you describe your weightloss as 1. significant 2.just a little 3. none or 4. I gained weight?-just a little i guess.
3. How long did you breastfeed? 9 months and counting
4. How long did you exclusively breastfeed? 7 months
5. Did you go to work or have to spend time away from your infant while you were exclusively breastfeeding? If so, when did you start spending time away from your infant, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen? I started working again 2 months post partum and I pumped 2x in 8 hours.
6. If you had to supplement at any point during your exclusive breastfeeding please describe why. N/A
7. Did you cosleep? Yes.
8. For those who delayed introduction of solid until after at least 9 months, did you notice continued weight loss after your baby turned 6 months? For those who introduced solids at 6 months or prior to 6 months, did you notice any continued weight loss after you baby turned 6 months? no, but weight loss had stopped around 2-3 months pp.
9. For everyone, once your child was eating solids did you have to spend time away from your baby on a regular basis (like for work)? If so at what age was this, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen, if any? 8 hours, usually and pumping twice during that time.
10. Did you feed on demand? I do.
11. Did you use pacifiers? No.
12. What was your pre-pregnancy weight? What was your weight right before your baby was born? What was your weight after delivery? What is your current weight? Pre-preg. weight-170. 195 before delivery and after delivery it was 175. I am 168 now.
#4 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 03:09 AM

For DS, born March 07

1. Did you lose weight while breastfeeding? YES
2. Would you describe your weightloss as 1. significant 2.just a little 3. none or 4. I gained weight? 1
3. How long did you breastfeed? 13 months
4. How long did you exclusively breastfeed? 6 months
5. Did you go to work or have to spend time away from your infant while you were exclusively breastfeeding? If so, when did you start spending time away from your infant, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen? NO
6. If you had to supplement at any point during your exclusive breastfeeding please describe why.
7. Did you cosleep? YES
8. For those who delayed introduction of solid until after at least 9 months, did you notice continued weight loss after your baby turned 6 months? For those who introduced solids at 6 months or prior to 6 months, did you notice any continued weight loss after you baby turned 6 months?
9. For everyone, once your child was eating solids did you have to spend time away from your baby on a regular basis (like for work)? If so at what age was this, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen, if any? NO
10. Did you feed on demand? YES
11. Did you use pacifiers? NO
12. What was your pre-pregnancy weight? 130lbs What was your weight right before your baby was born? 180lbs What was your weight after delivery? 170lbs What is your current weight? 130lbs

For DD, born August 08

1. Did you lose weight while breastfeeding? YES
2. Would you describe your weightloss as 1. significant 2.just a little 3. none or 4. I gained weight? 1
3. How long did you breastfeed? 17 months (to date)
4. How long did you exclusively breastfeed? 8 months
5. Did you go to work or have to spend time away from your infant while you were exclusively breastfeeding? If so, when did you start spending time away from your infant, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen? NO
7. Did you cosleep? NO
9. For everyone, once your child was eating solids did you have to spend time away from your baby on a regular basis (like for work)? If so at what age was this, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen, if any? NO
10. Did you feed on demand? YES
11. Did you use pacifiers? NO
12. What was your pre-pregnancy weight? 130 lbs What was your weight right before your baby was born? 160lbs What was your weight after delivery? 147lbs What is your current weight? 130lbs

joy.gif
#5 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 11:08 AM

DD born 10/2/2008

1. Did you lose weight while breastfeeding? Yes
2. Would you describe your weightloss as 1. significant 2.just a little 3. none or 4. I gained weight? 1. Significant
3. How long did you breastfeed? 15 months +
4. How long did you exclusively breastfeed? 7 months
5. Did you go to work or have to spend time away from your infant while you were exclusively breastfeeding? If so, when did you start spending time away from your infant, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen? Yes. At 14 weeks old, I returned to work 5 days a week. Pumped 3-4 times during an 8 hour shift.
6. If you had to supplement at any point during your exclusive breastfeeding please describe why. n/a
7. Did you cosleep? yes - bed share.
8. For those who delayed introduction of solid until after at least 9 months, did you notice continued weight loss after your baby turned 6 months? For those who introduced solids at 6 months or prior to 6 months, did you notice any continued weight loss after you baby turned 6 months? We intro'd at 7-8 months, and the weight loss did continue at the same rate.
9. For everyone, once your child was eating solids did you have to spend time away from your baby on a regular basis (like for work)? If so at what age was this, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen, if any? Yes. Working part time, 3 days a week. Still pumping 2-3 times for each 8 hr shift.
10. Did you feed on demand? Yes.
11. Did you use pacifiers? Only in the first 4 months.
12. What was your pre-pregnancy weight? What was your weight right before your baby was born? What was your weight after delivery? What is your current weight? 140/193/178/132

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#6 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 AM

[QUOTE=tutucrazy;14927696]I'm doing a little survey about breastfeeding and weight loss. If anyone would like to share here is the info I need.

1. Did you lose weight while breastfeeding?
YES
2. Would you describe your weightloss as 1. significant 2.just a little 3. none or 4. I gained weight?
MORE THAN JUST A LITTLE, BUT I WOULDN'T CALL IT SIGNIFICANT
3. How long did you breastfeed?
4 MONTHS AND STILL GOING
4. How long did you exclusively breastfeed?
4 MONTHS AND STILL GOING
5. Did you go to work or have to spend time away from your infant while you were exclusively breastfeeding?
NO
If so, when did you start spending time away from your infant, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen?
JUST A LITTLE IN THE HOSPITAL BECAUSE LC RECOMMENDED IT, BUT STOPPED AFTER A COUPLE DAYS
7. Did you cosleep?
YES
NOT THERE YET
9. For everyone, once your child was eating solids did you have to spend time away from your baby on a regular basis (like for work)? If so at what age was this, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen, if any?
N/A
10. Did you feed on demand?
YES
11. Did you use pacifiers?
IN THE BEGINNING BUT NOT NOW
12. What was your pre-pregnancy weight?
What was your weight right before your baby was born?
What was your weight after delivery?
DON'T KNOW
What is your current weight?

Happily married to my hero and SAHMama to 4 precious gifts from God
#7 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 12:19 PM

1. Did you lose weight while breastfeeding? yes
2. Would you describe your weightloss as 1. significant 2.just a little 3. none or 4. I gained weight? just a little
3. How long did you breastfeed? with DD1-23 mo. DD2 3 mo and counting
4. How long did you exclusively breastfeed? DD1-6mo, DD2 still
5. Did you go to work or have to spend time away from your infant while you were exclusively breastfeeding? If so, when did you start spending time away from your infant, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen? no i am SAHM
6. If you had to supplement at any point during your exclusive breastfeeding please describe why. no supplement
7. Did you cosleep? yes
8. For those who delayed introduction of solid until after at least 9 months, did you notice continued weight loss after your baby turned 6 months? For those who introduced solids at 6 months or prior to 6 months, did you notice any continued weight loss after you baby turned 6 months? DD1 started solids at 5 mo but not for nutrition till 9 mo. all weight loss stopped at 2 mo pp for both babies.
9. For everyone, once your child was eating solids did you have to spend time away from your baby on a regular basis (like for work)? If so at what age was this, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen, if any? never away from my babies
10. Did you feed on demand? yes
11. Did you use pacifiers? only with DD2, only when fussy and not wanting to eat.
12. What was your pre-pregnancy weight? What was your weight right before your baby was born? What was your weight after delivery? What is your current weight? DD1- 160, 199, 185, 172. DD2- 172, 199, 185, 172.

eta: had GD with both babiesw but didnt do the diet for DD1, just DD2.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#8 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 01:16 PM

2. Would you describe your weightloss as 1. significant 2.just a little 3. none or 4. I gained weight? Just a little
3. How long did you breastfeed? Still breastfeeding. Child is 16 months
4. How long did you exclusively breastfeed? Until we introduced solids around 8 months
5. Did you go to work or have to spend time away from your infant while you were exclusively breastfeeding? If so, when did you start spending time away from your infant, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen? I work full time, 8 hrs per day, 5 days per week and I pumped for 15 months. In the beginning, I pumped 3 times per day, then got it down to two times.
6. If you had to supplement at any point during your exclusive breastfeeding please describe why. Never had to supplement.
7. Did you cosleep? Yes
8. For those who delayed introduction of solid until after at least 9 months, did you notice continued weight loss after your baby turned 6 months? For those who introduced solids at 6 months or prior to 6 months, did you notice any continued weight loss after you baby turned 6 months? No change in weight loss.
9. For everyone, once your child was eating solids did you have to spend time away from your baby on a regular basis (like for work)? If so at what age was this, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen, if any? When she started eating more solids, I only pumped once per day.
11. Did you use pacifiers? No
152, 200, 185, 175
#9 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 04:07 PM

Hello!

Anyone else answering questions for this survey, please PM your answers to tutucrazy directly, and don't answer on this thread.

Thank you so much!

tinybutterfly

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#10 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 04:49 PM

Pm'in...
#11 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 05:27 PM

2. Would you describe your weightloss as 1. significant 2.just a little 3. none or 4. I gained weight? I guess significant - I lost ~50#s with DS1 and so far ~25# w/ DS2
3. How long did you breastfeed? I've been nursing constinously for 34+ months
4. How long did you exclusively breastfeed? DS1 7.5 Months, DS2 5+ months so far
5. Did you go to work or have to spend time away from your infant while you were exclusively breastfeeding? If so, when did you start spending time away from your infant, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen? No
6. If you had to supplement at any point during your exclusive breastfeeding please describe why. N/A
7. Did you cosleep? Yes
8. For those who delayed introduction of solid until after at least 9 months, did you notice continued weight loss after your baby turned 6 months? For those who introduced solids at 6 months or prior to 6 months, did you notice any continued weight loss after you baby turned 6 months? Intro at 7.5 months - not really much if any difference, just a constant slowing of weight loss
9. For everyone, once your child was eating solids did you have to spend time away from your baby on a regular basis (like for work)? If so at what age was this, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen, if any? No.
11. Did you use pacifiers? No
12. What was your pre-pregnancy weight? What was your weight right before your baby was born? What was your weight after delivery? What is your current weight? DS1: pre- 135, at delievery 195ish, don't know right after. DS2: pre-145ish at delivery ~185ish currently ~160ish
#12 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 08:15 PM

1. Did you lose weight while breastfeeding? No
3. How long did you breastfeed? DD#1 was 18 months, still bfing DD#2 at 5 months
4. How long did you exclusively breastfeed? First 10 months with DD#1, then some solids too, still EBFing DD#1
5. Did you go to work or have to spend time away from your infant while you were exclusively breastfeeding? If so, when did you start spending time away from your infant, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen? Starting at 12 weeks old I worked 2 days/week, 12 hour shifts and pumped 3 times during that 12 hours.
6. If you had to supplement at any point during your exclusive breastfeeding please describe why. Never supplemented
7. Did you cosleep? Yes
8. For those who delayed introduction of solid until after at least 9 months, did you notice continued weight loss after your baby turned 6 months? For those who introduced solids at 6 months or prior to 6 months, did you notice any continued weight loss after you baby turned 6 months? I've always gained weight while bfing, even though we delayed solidas
9. For everyone, once your child was eating solids did you have to spend time away from your baby on a regular basis (like for work)? If so at what age was this, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen, if any? Still worked 2 days/week and pumped every 3-4 hours until just after first birthday. After first birthday I only pumped once while at work.10. Did you feed on demand?
11. Did you use pacifiers? Yes, mostly just when they couldn't comfort nurse, like in the car.
With my first pre-pregnancy was 165, Last prenatal check weight was 200, just after delivery (within first 2 weeks) I was back down to 170, but slowly climbed back up to 185 within the first year. With second pregnancy started about 175, last check pre baby was 205. Lost down to 180 just after delivery. Currently at 5 months pp I'm 201 pounds.

I think this is genetic, my mom and sister also gain weight while breastfeeding, it seems our bodies feel the need to hang onto every extra ounce just incase there is a famine, lol!
#13 of 15 Old 01-14-2010, 10:34 PM

1. Did you lose weight while breastfeeding? Yes, each and every time that I have BFd or EPd.

2. Would you describe your weightloss as 1. significant 2.just a little 3. none or 4. I gained weight? 1 and 2. After my twins, I EPd and lost a LOT of weight! After each baby after that, I lost the weight slowly but surely.

3. How long did you breastfeed? I EPd for my twins for 7 or so months. I BFd my DD until three years old. I EPd after my surro son for a few weeks, and my plan is to EP after this surro baby for a few months.

4. How long did you exclusively breastfeed? I EBFd my DD for 7-8 months.

5. Did you go to work or have to spend time away from your infant while you were exclusively breastfeeding? If so, when did you start spending time away from your infant, how long were you away and what was your pumping regimen? N/A

6. If you had to supplement at any point during your exclusive breastfeeding please describe why. My supply stunk when EPing for my twins. I now know because I wasn't getting enough rest, not eating and drinking enough and had a lack of support. I didn't supplement, I just dealt with it. :/

7. Did you cosleep? With my DD, yes. With our twins, no, because they didn't sleep well with us.

8. For those who delayed introduction of solid until after at least 9 months, did you notice continued weight loss after your baby turned 6 months? For those who introduced solids at 6 months or prior to 6 months, did you notice any continued weight loss after you baby turned 6 months? I stopped losing weight around 4-5 months PP.

10. Did you feed on demand? N/A

11. Did you use pacifiers? With my twins, yes and with my DD, no.

Twins ~ pre-pg: 140. weight at delivery: 225 (had severe pre-e) lost it all within six weeks PP.

DD ~ pre-pg: 140. weight at delivery: 190. lost 45 lbs within 4-5 months PP.

Surro son ~ pre-pg: 160. weight at delivery: 210. lost 45 lbs within 6 months PP.

I am now 205 lbs, but am 20 weeks pg with my second surro son as well.
#14 of 15 Old 01-15-2010, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all who have already participated. I cleared out my inbox so please pm me with your answers if you would like to participate! I am analyzing the responses in order to find trends in breastfeeding and weight loss. I will gladly report the trends that I find for everyone's benefit.

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#15 of 15 Old 01-15-2010, 01:06 PM

emilyg-my mom ff her older 3(me included) and bf her younger 3. she gained weight during bf, too. i don't have any other close comparisons as everyone else ff but i wonder if it's genetic to gain. i just tell my girls that weight loss CAN BE a good side effect but i'll lose the weight later

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page