Mothering Forum banner

What are your favorite places to get nursing gear

738 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  mambera 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone, I'm just getting used to being a mom to a baby boy, and I'm loving the breastfeeding part. One thing I need is more nursing clothes as I haven't bought much before birth since I wasn't sure what size I would end up. So, I'm looking for tips and suggestions for styles (what was most convenient, worked, etc) and places to buy nursing gear. I'm planning to EBF, and to pump at work, so I'll need a good amount of tops that are stylish yet convenient.

Please share your finds. Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't waste your money! I did buy a few Glamourmom nursing tank tops. They are great under things or on their own in the summer. I'm no longer nursing and I STILL wear them b/c they are supportive enough to wear under something when it's cold, instead of a bra.

I stayed away from dresses while pumping, but otherwise just wear tops you already have that can be pulled up or unbuttoned to nurse or pump.

Oh, I looked for nursing bathing suits, but they were hideously matronly. I ended up wearing a 2 piece halter tankini that tied around the neck. To nurse at the beach I could untie it and slip one side down.

#3 ·
How much you use them really just depends on who you are. I have been wearing nursing tops almost constantly for 3 1/2 years now.

I have really liked nursing shirts with the empire opening. My belly stays covered/warm. I have a couple from Expressiva that I wear all the time. I have a long torso, so the longer length ones are good for me.

I have also used shirts from Old Navy as undershirts/nursing shirts. For those, I use the tanktops as they are (they are long and thin and work well to keep my skin covered when I pull up a shirt). I use a long-sleeved one sometimes and have cut slits along the side seams under the armpits - so I wear that under t-shirts in the wintertime.

There is also a maternity store around where I live whose name currently escapes me, but they had some AWESOME stretchy empire-waisted shirts when my DD was born and I am so upset with myself that I only bought one. They don't sell them anymore and mine is all beat up and gross now, but I still wear it because it is so perfect.

HTH

Tjej

#4 ·
I tried wearing tops made specifically for nursing, but for some reason I always end up going back to my basic set-up which is a cami type tank top under any shirt. It works great for me because the cami keeps my stomach covered while I lift up the shirt to nurse. The shirt also acts as a cover, especially if you wear a big enough shirt.

With my first son I always used a nursing cover because I was self conscious about nursing in public, but now with my 2nd son I use this set up and don't use a nursing cover at all because the shirt pretty much does the covering up.

You'll find what works best for you. Good Luck.

#5 ·
Target! I can't recommend their nursing tanks enough. I usually wear them under a regular tee shirt, lift up the tee, belly stays covered. I love them, although they do expose a little more than the nursing tank I have from motherhood maternity. Plus, they're only $16.99!

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by atenea View Post
Target! I can't recommend their nursing tanks enough. I usually wear them under a regular tee shirt, lift up the tee, belly stays covered. I love them, although they do expose a little more than the nursing tank I have from motherhood maternity. Plus, they're only $16.99!
Same here. I live in Target nursing gear. My daily attire is a Target nursing tank with a button down, thin, cardigan thrown over it. There are two nursing tank styles, the full sling, which does not separate the breasts individually, and then there is the type with the individual breast supports.

Target's sporty, stretchy, nursing bras are so comfortable too.

#7 ·
I have several shirts from Motherwear that I really like. This is my second time BF'ing, and I honestly like having a nursing specific shirt. Especially up north, just pulling up my top, my baby starts to clutch my bare skin with those cold wee hands of hers! EEEK!!
So, I have a few double layered shirts I wear all the time that I love. And I like Motherhood nursing bras. They are fugly, but hold up.

#8 ·
What I do is just wear a nursing tank (mine are from Target) under my regular shirts (or by themselves under a cardigan), then pull the shirt up and pop the flap of the tank down when the boy needs to eat. I get to keep wearing my regular shirts, with the added bonus of not having Dreaded Cold Midsection.

#9 ·
I LOVVVVVEEEEE the Bravado Nursing Tanks. I have 3 colors and wear them all the time! They are expensive, but worth every penny for me. They are very supportive and don't give me a UNIBOOB!

I didn't have any luck with the Expressiva tops I bought (3 of them)- I returned them all because they didn't fit. However, I am short waisted-- so that may be why!

#10 ·
I thought I would need lots of nursing wear but actually I mostly ended up wearing my regular shirts and pulling them up to nurse.

Most of the nursing shirts I bought turned out to be SO ugly and frumpy I just didn't wear them much. I bought three Motherwear shirts that I never wear bc they are so ugly and ill-fitting. In general I find that the double layers of fabric make for really unflattering clothing.

I have ONE nursing shirt that is reasonably flattering; it is the criss-cross top from Momzelle. I wear it for unavoidable NIP at close quarters (eg plane rides).

A few nursing tanks are helpful to layer under regular shirts to avoid stomach exposure (though I find a Belly Band and nursing bra work just as well really). I like both my Bravado and my Glamourmom (the Bravado is more flattering but the Glamourmom is less revealing and the nursing clips are easier to use).

#11 ·
thanks for the advice everyone - I've tried looking at nursing tanks but the ones with the built in bras always scare me as I usually find them not supportive at all (I'm 34E now - and I couldn't wear the built in bras before when I was 34D) I've considered using my usual stretchy tanks (from Limited) over the nursing bra and pull them down. Still I'd like to find a few tops (I have 1 from Japanese weekend) that are easy for NIP.
Are there any supportive nursing tanks? I just have too many layers to deal with now.

#12 ·
My setup is that i wear whatever nursing bra, and then an old navy tank in a size larger than i am over it, then a regular shirt over that.
I pull down the tank (which since its a size bigger and stretch really barley covers the bra anyway), and up the shirt.

I looked at a few nursing tops, nice idea, but SO ugly or expensive. I should design some cute ones!!

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by marinak1977 View Post
thanks for the advice everyone - I've tried looking at nursing tanks but the ones with the built in bras always scare me as I usually find them not supportive at all...
Are there any supportive nursing tanks? I just have too many layers to deal with now.

Bravado claims their tank will support up to a G cup. I'm a D right now so I can't give you a personal testimonial on that, but I can tell you the Bravado is nothing like a typical 'shelf bra.' The bra layer is made of a fabric with a really tight stretch so it holds you in, and there's a wide rubberized band around the chest that works almost like an underwire. Clever seaming prevents uniboob. It's a chore to get the thing on but once it's on it's pretty supportive.

You can see a closeup of the inner layer on their website.

http://www.bravadodesigns.com/product.asp?ID=18&area=US

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.