Lump in areola for 1w, plugged duct without plug?+mastitsis? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-19-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is 8 months and ebf except one day a week for 6 hours. A week ago he latched really good onto my areola but missed the nipple. A few days later we noticed a lump in that spot about the size of the tip of my pinky. I assumed a plugged duct at first but it didn't get any worse, it's just a lump, it doesn't hurt, isn't red, and isn't warm. However many things that help cause plugged ducts has been happening lately including stress/over activity, sleep deprivation, and my choice of clothing/sleeping positions. I've yet to feel any discomfort or pressure, and don't feel full or engorged behind it.
I was starting to think it was just a result of the "hicky". But today out of nowhere I'm feeling like I do when I am about to get sick and am worried about mastitis, as well as a slight fever and my breast is slightly warmer than the other.
Is it possible to have a plugged duct without the plug, and I'm really just sick? If it is infact Mastitis will there be clear signs at the injured spot since it is so close under the skin?
I've been heating it and massaging and nursing, trying to rest since I can't get a good nights sleep lately. Any ideas anyone? Of course if i feel like I've been hit by a truck tomorrow I'll go see somebody, but no doctor around here is breastfriendly without shoving a mom full of drugs or making them wean, and we do not have access to a lactation consultant where we live.
#2 of 4 Old 01-19-2010, 10:46 PM

Any injury to the breast can make a mother more susceptible to plugged ducts and/or mastitis.

You can attempt to nurse over your child, with child on the floor and you on all fours above to get the "lump" to pass, if you feel it is a plugged duct. In addition, warm compresses, plenty of liquids, and massage can help a plug to pass more quickly - although this may take a few days.

ETA: Above all, nurse frequently and rest the best you can.

In the event you do seek treatment for mastitis, make it clear to your doctor that you are interested in continuing the breastfeeding relationship and that medicines are available to treat mastitis that are not contraindicated during breastfeeding. If he doesn't have a copy of Hale's, see if he can either chat with a pharmacist or with an OB/GYN to figure out which ones will work for you.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#3 of 4 Old 01-20-2010, 02:46 PM

How are you feeling today?

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#4 of 4 Old 01-20-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
How are you feeling today?

Liz
I feel a little tired and stiff, but not very bad at all. I Grated a raw potatoe and put it on the breast then put a hot pack over it and used a tensor to keep it in place. I did try nursing on all fours but didn't seem to help. We've been lining up the chin too. I've been rubbing it alot. It's still there and still just a lump, but isn't quite as hard. Last night I actually got it to soften alot before bed but it is defenately hard than at that time, but softer than befor I started all this. But like I said just a little tired and stiff, other than that I'm perfectly fine.

I'm wondering if this isn't a breastfeeeding problem, and maybe a breast problem that is just coming up at this time, because \i still have no engorgment behind the lump.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page