Is it weird to sell a gently used Breast Pump? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2010, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, with our first we had tons of trouble BFing and ended up going to formula due to poor latch and not knowing that at the time. We did however, at the time buy the Medela Swing pump. It's a single pump, and this time around we are fully committed to doing whatever it takes to BF and think that if we had a double pump it would be better to use in the long run, also to pump both boobs at the same time if my supply runs low. So, Babies R US is having a sale on them, and the Medela PIS is 279 and I have a 20% off coupon. I want to sell my Swing pump and use that money to go towards the double pump. I was thinking since I bought it for like $150, and I only used it a for about 3 weeks, I'd sell it for like $75?

Is this weird? It's been sterilized through a medical grade sterilizer. Do you think people would buy it? is $75 about right? How would I go about selling it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 05:54 PM

I don't think it's weird at all! My pump is on its third owner and fifth child. Pumps are super easy to sterilize, so it's not an issue really.

Check Ebay to compare prices on used models, that'll give you a sense of how much you can ask for it. I wouldn't be surprised if you have to sell it for far less than $75, though, so be prepared to take quite a loss on it. You can also try to sell on Craigslist, and might be able to ask more for it there.

Good luck!

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:07 PM

I bought a used pump a few years ago from the Trading Post. Didn't seem weird to me. I just boiled (sterilized) it really well.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
Old 01-28-2010, 10:18 PM

Not weird at all! I actually found my Medela PIS on freecycle!!! I see people selling used pumps on craigslist all the time. It isn't very expensive to buy new parts if the new owner would like. I'm sure someone will buy it, hopefully at the price you are looking for!

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:25 PM

I put mine on Craig's list and had two offers the same day; I think they are very much desired used, since they are so expensive new. I'd definitely go for it.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:23 PM

here are some guidelines from medela concerning this issue.

Admittedly thet are trying to sell more pumps but it does address some issues to think about.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.

User Tag List