New BFer and question... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-16-2010, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My SIL just had a beautiful baby an is very commited to nursing. Her nipples are very sore. The baby was born sunday, and is doing super with his latch, etc but it has been a while since I nursed a baby and I have forgotten alot. Any advice I could pass along to her?
#2 of 5 Old 02-17-2010, 01:20 AM

I think no matter how well you do it, it'll hurt in the beginning. Tell her the first month is very rough and tell her husband to support her and help her relax and be comfy- bringing water, etc. Then, it'll get better. By three months it'll be great.
#3 of 5 Old 02-17-2010, 12:34 PM

I didn't have nipple pain when I started nursing. My best advice is to book a consult with a lactation consultant who can observe baby's latch & position . If that's not possible, two things that helped me: remember, 1. belly to belly and 2. nose to nipple.
#4 of 5 Old 02-17-2010, 05:24 PM

I agree with the lactation consultant idea, but I also found that for me feeding my kids while lying down helped very much with nipple pain, it seemed to clear up much faster that way. Still hurt for about a week or so though.

At home mommy to Paige 2004, Sydney 2006 and Cole 2009 :
#5 of 5 Old 02-17-2010, 05:50 PM

My nips ended-up very bruised and cracked when I first started nursing and I ended up using nipple shields so that we could continue and I could heal. They were a God-send and saved our nursing relationship! If things get really bad, she might want to try the sheilds. They are basically a thin piece of plastic that fits over your nipple and baby nurses through it.

Here is what they look like. I got mine from an LC, but as you can see they are available at Target.

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page