Low-Milk Supply Tribe - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1093 Old 09-15-2005, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just want to add some huge s to the group.

I won't share my whole story since it's not entirely relevant, but I did have a taste of what it would be like to have a low-supply (caused by ineffective milk transfer). . .the formula, the bottles, the non-stop pumping, the herbs, the Lact-Aid . . .WOW. I was always on the edge of a nervous breakdown. Low-supply mamas are THE most dedicated breastfeeders ever.

This doesn't get discussed enough!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#302 of 1093 Old 09-16-2005, 12:10 AM

You are so sweet!

We do just trudge along and try our darndest to give our DCs as much of mommy's milk as possible!

Your support means the world to us!

~ deb, BFAR mommy to ds1 Dec 7, 2003, Jan 08, ds2 Sept 20, 2009
#303 of 1093 Old 09-27-2005, 09:58 PM

Just joining in here. I'm Michelle, DS is Riley, he'll be two weeks tomorrow. We're struggling with low supply. I wish I had time to completely explain- I'll have to sub and come back when I have more time. We are talking about trying domperidone next week, and I'd like to hear from other moms who have had success with it. It's so expensive- I want to know that it's worth it.
#304 of 1093 Old 09-27-2005, 11:33 PM
Banned

I'll join. I had a bilateral breast reduction at 19. My first attempt to breastfeed my daughter 7 years ago was not successful because I had no support, no knowledge, and when I had to suppliment, I did it with generic bottles (heavy flow.) in no time flat, she refused the breast all together.

With my next baby due in little over a month, I am armed and ready! Plus, since it has been so long since the surgery, my nipples are no longer numb (nerve damage has been reveresed,) and I am producing colostrum prior to pregnancy, which means my breasts may have recanalized, which means I will likely produce a lot more milk this time around.
#305 of 1093 Old 09-28-2005, 01:05 AM

welcome, shell and mrsmoe! please let us know if you have any questions we can help with.

shell, we tried dom and it did not seem to have a significant effect for me. i took it for almost two months, the last couple of weeks increasing the dosage to 120 mg in a 24 hour period. we still supplemented with donor breastmilk and enhanced goat's milk (EFAs, iron, folic acid added) as well as my own small amount of pumped milk. wish i had better info to give you. have you read dr. jack newman's info about dom?

also, have either of you looked into the yahoogroup called mobi (mothers overcoming breastfeeding issues)? they are a wealth of knowledge and very open and non-judgmental.

sending you milky vibes...

~claudia
#306 of 1093 Old 09-28-2005, 10:30 AM

I also tried many of the herbs/foods that are supposed to increase milk supply. Taking whole fennel and fenugreek seeds did help a lot, but the Chinese herbs were amazing. I noticed an increase in my supply a day after taking them. I also had acupuncture done in conjunction, so it was probably both of those things together.
Even when milk started coming in pretty well a few weeks ago, I still had (and still have) problems pumping, because my let-down response is not very strong. I have found it best to pump at about 4 or 5 in the morning when he wakes up. I pump on my "best" side to get the most milk and then let him nurse on the other side. I have read that pumping before feeding on one side is good, as you will make more milk for the baby, but not for the pump.
At night, I have found a better let down response if I drink one or two dark beers and then sit in a warm bath, or have dh massage my breasts for me. Eating some peanuts with the beer seems to improve the LDR also (weird). I'm sure a lot of this is about relaxing.
#307 of 1093 Old 10-03-2005, 02:47 AM
Banned

request...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=350142

Above is a link for a request for a letter writing campaign that I posted here on MDC. I have the "inside track" that publishing date keeps getting the slip and the book would be released sooner (in turn helping more mothers) if a few people were to write to the woman/publisher in charge of the final bits of the book at the and request she speed things up.

The book is written specifically for women with low supply.

Making More Milk: A Nursing Mother’s Guide to Milk Supply
by Diana West , BA IBCLC, and Lisa Marasco, MA IBCLC

This book is going to be published by the LLL. It is geared twords women who have medical issues for a low milk supply. Currently, there is no release date (but originally there was - the original date was set for this Fall,) so I and a few other women wanted to get together a campaign to get the publisher moving!

It makes me sad the original date of this Fall seems pushed off - because I and a few others mothers I know have babies due this Fall/Winter and were really excited about an entire book dedicated to low supply issues.

If you want a background on the author...

Diana West is also the author of the only book out there (that I know of) for women who have had breast reductions. The book is a WONDERFUL source of information, so I know this next book is going to be awesome. You would be FLOORED at how little medical professionals - including Lactation Consultants - know about breast reductions. The general attitude is either you can BF or not BF - which is so wrong. All BFAR women can BF - the question is - how much to suppliment - because nearly all of us have to suppliment.

http://bfar.org/ <--- more info on this book and the previous one

Ok, I will stop rambling now. :LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboClaudia
have you read dr. jack newman's info about dom?

also, have either of you looked into the yahoogroup called mobi (mothers overcoming breastfeeding issues)? they are a wealth of knowledge and very open and non-judgmental.

sending you milky vibes...

~claudia

I have actually read Jack Newman's book. He is in Toronto, and I am tempted to see if I can make an appointment with him after the baby is born - if I need it.

Will check into the group- thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsparilla
I also tried many of the herbs/foods that are supposed to increase milk supply. Taking whole fennel and fenugreek seeds did help a lot, but the Chinese herbs were amazing. I noticed an increase in my supply a day after taking them. I also had acupuncture done in conjunction, so it was probably both of those things together.
Even when milk started coming in pretty well a few weeks ago, I still had (and still have) problems pumping, because my let-down response is not very strong. I have found it best to pump at about 4 or 5 in the morning when he wakes up. I pump on my "best" side to get the most milk and then let him nurse on the other side. I have read that pumping before feeding on one side is good, as you will make more milk for the baby, but not for the pump.
At night, I have found a better let down response if I drink one or two dark beers and then sit in a warm bath, or have dh massage my breasts for me. Eating some peanuts with the beer seems to improve the LDR also (weird). I'm sure a lot of this is about relaxing.

What Chinese Herbs worked for you?? Would love to know!

Beer however lowers milk supply - as does any form of alcohol.
#308 of 1093 Old 10-03-2005, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

yes, but if it is the let-down reflect, beer can help to relax mama

Anyway, I also had great success with Chinese Herbs. I had some actual plants that I made the worlds worse, most discusting tea with. Then I struggled to drink about 399 gallons of it a day :LOL but after a few days, I had MASTITIS!!! And more milk than I had before for sure. AND Domperidone did nothing for me.

I have looked at the BFAR website in the past...very informative.

V.
#309 of 1093 Old 10-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorian
yes, but if it is the let-down reflect, beer can help to relax mama

Anyway, I also had great success with Chinese Herbs. I had some actual plants that I made the worlds worse, most discusting tea with. Then I struggled to drink about 399 gallons of it a day :LOL but after a few days, I had MASTITIS!!! And more milk than I had before for sure. AND Domperidone did nothing for me.

I have looked at the BFAR website in the past...very informative.

V.
What Chinese herbs? Want to have everything on hand when our baby is born the first of next month.

As far as the BFAR site - the forum is a goldmine of info.

And Domperidone makes me nervous. First off, I don't like Rx drugs, esp when BFing. Second - the FDA warns agaisnt BFing mothers from using Domperidone, because it's not even supposed to be used for lactation - it's a side effect of the drug itself. Third, I have some little heart things (MVP and valve regurgitation issues and other stuff) and Domperidone (DMD) has been known to cause cardiac arrest, death, and other issues when given via IV. No way am I pumping that stuff into my baby's body, because it is passed along in breastmilk.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWER.../ANS01292.html
#310 of 1093 Old 10-03-2005, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

I highly suggest that you read the professional reduttals to that ruling. It was highly political and not really based on the science. Also read up on how the FDA approves drugs...it really is interesting about drugs from foreign countries. (to the President even Canada is full of dangerous drugs).

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/O...atements.shtml

Like every drug, it is not for everyone, but I do think that the weight of the evidence is toward it being a useful tool for lactating women.

Also, re: chinese herbs - it is not like western medicine where you take the same things as Joe A and B. It is a customized blend of herbs for you. If you are interested in this form of medicine, I highy recommend that you look for a practioner in your area. If I were to become pregnant today I would start there.

Victorian
#311 of 1093 Old 10-03-2005, 04:27 PM

ditto what victorian said. domperidone dosage for increasing lactation is usually 20mg/ 4x day orally. the studies that were done addressed iv usage, which is inappropriate and irrelevant for breastfeeding moms. the fda research is also heavily biased because dom is locally compounded and it becomes an economic issue because pharmaceutical companies can't cash in on the dollar for getting it prescribed. off-label use for drugs is common in the u.s., albeit sometimes dangerous, like cytotec aka misoprostol now and diethylstilbestrol aka DES given in the 70s for bad morning sickness. in addition, i believe the active ingredient molecules in dom are too large to pass into breastmilk in significant amounts. to try it or not is of course an entirely personal issue, and with your heart issues, another course of action might be preferred.

i, too, am not fond of prescription meds, but was willing to try to see if it improved my supply situation. it did not do much.

i also saw a chinese medicine practitioner who prescribed herbs for me. they helped a small amount, and the acupuncture was interesting. i think what helped the most was that i went in the evening while my partner took care of our son, so it was nice quiet, meditative time for me. i didn't start seeing a chinese medicine practitioner until our son was 7 or 8 months old, though.

~claudia
#312 of 1093 Old 10-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorian

Also, re: chinese herbs - it is not like western medicine where you take the same things as Joe A and B. It is a customized blend of herbs for you. If you are interested in this form of medicine, I highy recommend that you look for a practioner in your area. If I were to become pregnant today I would start there.

Victorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboClaudia

i also saw a chinese medicine practitioner who prescribed herbs for me. they helped a small amount, and the acupuncture was interesting. i think what helped the most was that i went in the evening while my partner took care of our son, so it was nice quiet, meditative time for me. i didn't start seeing a chinese medicine practitioner until our son was 7 or 8 months old, though.

~claudia

Thanks - I am due in a month - will look into practioners in my area.
#313 of 1093 Old 10-05-2005, 04:01 PM

I was reading some stuff by Dr. Jack Newman on how if a breastfed baby isn't gaining weight properly it may be better to introduce solids early (like 3-4 months, not super-early) and wean from the formula supplements. Anyone else see this info and what do you think?
#314 of 1093 Old 10-05-2005, 04:24 PM

I have seen that info, I believe off of kellymom.com, and when I presented it to my very pro-bf doctor, she (very gently, as she knows how broken I was about not being able to breastfeed T my own milk) said that, inasmuch as the formula is an ever-present painful reminder of my breasts' inability to make enough milk for Tristan, it is a more developmentally appropriate way of getting nutrients and calories into a 4-month-old than spoon feeding solid foods. She also pointed out the increased risk of food allergies when you start a food too early, because the gut is inable to digest it.

I frankly am more willing to trust my dr than Dr Newman because my doc has been there and been supportive of me from the beginning - was even willing to prescribe Domperidone to me (didn't help much) - and Dr Newman blew me off when I asked a question about hypoplasia. I do have a friend who started her 4-month-old on solids and she's fine and dandy and healthy. I guess you do what feels best for you and what suits your baby.

I guess my post came around full-circle to a big shrug :LOL

good luck, J

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#315 of 1093 Old 10-05-2005, 06:45 PM

i, too, have read that info from jack newman. perhaps it is appropriate for some babies who take great interest in solid foods at that age, but our son did not, and i did not believe that he would have gotten sufficient appropriate nutrients from the solid food he was ingesting. i think i mentioned before that our son began eating solid foods in great earnest (i mean, literally huge portions of oatmeal for breakfast and whole avocados for lunch and a whole pear for dinner, plus other stuff) at around age 9 months, and he became less interested in nursing and the bottle. one day, i just accidentally forgot to give him any supplemental milks in a bottle and i hadn't used the lact-aid either, and he appeared to be happy and satisfied, so i was like, hmm... the next day, i watched for signs that he was wanting more liquid sustenance and he didn't give me any. same the next day and the next. and that was the end of supplements for him. he was still nursing about 4-6 times a day and a few times during the night. then about a month later, his nursing during the night turned into chewy-nursing which hurt me, so we started soothing him other ways and ended up nightweaning him accidentally over the course of about a month. interestingly, he started sleeping better during that period of time, too, and now consistently sleeps 10-12 hours a night and nurses about 1-3 times a day at age 16 months.

it is so hard to imagine what i was feeling a year ago at this time when we learned of his low weight gain and my milk supply issues. all i know is it gives me a knot in my throat and tightness in my stomach and chest and eyes and i start to cry...

how are things going for you, marcy? and how about everyone else? we haven't had an update and here's where we're at note from folks in a while...

~claudia
#316 of 1093 Old 10-12-2005, 11:37 AM

Hi Claudia! Thanks for asking about me! We're doing good. I can't believe that she'll be 6 months old tomorrow. And talk about rolls upon rolls...what a chunky monkey! We're still using the SNS. I emailed Dr. Newman and he seems to think she's a good candidate for supplementing with solids. Surprisingly, her pediatrician agrees at this point. Some days she shows so much excitement over solids and other days she could take them or leave them, kwim?

I just want her to be healthy and I think instinctively babies know what they need so I'm going to take her cues day by day. Selfishly, I'd love to get rid of the SNS and go strictly to nursing+solids.

Let's see...what else.....oh, she doesn't want to NIP anymore. Too much to see, I guess. Is that normal for this age? She won't even let me NAK or watch t.v. ....geesh!

What are the chances this tribe could get it's own board? Other parenting message boards sites have bottle feeding & breast feeding boards. I don't feel like I 100% belong at either. I found another parenting site that has an "unable to breastfeed" board, but I technically don't belong there. The low-supply moms need to speak out - especially the long-term SNS users. I think we should be recognized for what we do for our babies.

Well...time for school (homeschool).
#317 of 1093 Old 10-12-2005, 02:19 PM

I will tell you, Marcy, that I have been having very spotty luck on using the SNS less. There are just times when he wants to have a full tummy before taking a nap, and times where he wants both food and comfort. he likes having formula in a cup when he's in his chair to eat or when my dp offers it to him, otherwise it's the *$*(@(!*#*!!!!! SNS he wants. He has been taking SO much formula when he nurses lately, though, 8-10 oz per feeding. I have to have 2 full SNSes at the ready. I wish I could get him to take at least half of it by cup, but when it's me, he pushes it away and wants the breast. The IBCLC I talked to was of little help so if you figure out something that works well, let me know. I tried fourfriends.org but only one person had a reply and what she suggested hasn't worked well for me yet.

Do any of you read the weekly mothering.com updates? Last week's featured a story that got me very excited - what? this article sounds like my story! I was reading, and reading, yes, pumping, yes, hungry baby, yes, yes! FINALLY, how good to see this in print - and then I got to "I put 2 oz of breast milk in a bottle and fed it to him" - oh well, maybe not. When it went on to extol the virtues of breastmilk (which I completely agree with) and put down formula as evil nastiness (which I can't agree with because without it, Tristan would not be alive), I stopped reading. How nice to pump several ounces at a time! I can only imagine. When I pumped nearly 1 oz out of a breast after T stopped nursing when he had hand, foot and mouth disease and his throat hurt so bad he couldn't suck or swallow, I was ecstatic at the quantity.

I wish some mothering writer would stop by here and see all of the agonizing work we put into the commitment to nurse our babies and write a nice article about US, to maybe balance out the article about the woman who made so much milk that she could nurse twins on one breast.

OK, I'm done now. Happy to be nursing my TODDLER!!!!!!

xo, Jen.

ps: Marcy - a friend of mine said that I should start an awards program for mothers who nurse with supplementers and I should give myself the first certificate of merit maybe when I have more time on my hands (when will that ever be? 18 years from now?) I will think about such a thing...

#318 of 1093 Old 10-12-2005, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

hmm..it would seem that if you can get that much milk from pumping that the problem is with getting it into the baby, not with the production.

Jen - you just signed yourself up to write the article

I started one called "Nursing Niko" but I didn't get too far

V.
#319 of 1093 Old 10-13-2005, 12:46 AM

I agree Jen, I too, found that article painful to read, altho I did finish it, & read it twice just to try & understand the tone of it. I did appreciate her sentiments about how she felt when had to change her whole way of looking at herself as a mother because she was unable to bf her child- that bit really did hit home. And the part about how we as expectant mothers are never told about the possibility of low-supply or other bfing issues- honestly, I just had no idea that such a thing could ever happen to me before it did. Education could go a long way towards alleviating some of the pain the low-supply/ffing mums go thru, & I would really, really, really love to see this topic discussed in Mothering mag.

A few months back I caught up with another homebirth mum who just had her second baby, & we got to talking about baby stuff, as you do. Somehow we got onto the topic of breastfeeding (imagine that ) & somehow I ended up briefly relating a few of the difficulties that I had with my two kids.... low-supply, ftt, no milk when I pumped. Nothing in great depth, because I don't like to tell horror stories to new mums either, but the worst thing was that she didn't believe me when I told her my kids did not gain weight no matter how long I had them at the breast. She said she'd never heard of such a thing, & the conversation was finished. So sad.

But as much as I would love to see a Mothering article, I don't believe it would ever be published. Mothering is clearly in the pro-breastfeeding &/or breastmilk is the best & only way & everyone can do it if they just try hard enough camp. If they changed that stance even slightly, they would lose half their readership, imo. The editors' potential agony of having to read thousands of outraged emails & letters should they ever take a different approach, not to mention loss of revenue, must exert a strong force for no change. It's my understanding that the reason why MM does take such a purist attitude is because new mothers have to put up with so much anti-breastfeeding crapola in US society, & so the magazine provides a space where mothers don't have to put up with looking at bottles or even have to think about formula milk. Lucky duckies.

Unfortunately, that leaves our little minority group of mums out in the cold. It seems somewhat ironic to me that an anti-bf culture, & the resultant pro-bf backlash (backlash is not a bad thing here, btw), combine forces to foster such sadness for the mums who are very pro-bf, but are forced to supplement with formula milk.

And Marcy, I am so glad to read about your chubby bubby. Enjoy it while it lasts, I have such fond memories of my kids eating anything I gave them without complaint. :LOL

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#320 of 1093 Old 10-13-2005, 01:15 AM

I am too tired to be profound, but I was glad to see that article. I told DH about it--and that it felt good to have some of my thoughts echoed, but overall still so sad. I have no other analysis of the larger issues to add.

I was feeling weird about going to an MDC gathering today with my bottles of formula, but I know that individuals are almost always generous and kind in person, even if they were to be judgemental about generalizations. This whole thing has taught me alot about judging people for how I perceive their care of their babies/kids. You really never know what someone is going through!!!

On a super positive note, an MDC mom is now pumping for me! Yay! We have the same midwife so I feel good about the health issues. I was worried about that. ALSO, my sweet babers nursed (8 weeks old on Sat) for a bit both yesterday and today after a 3 week strike!!!!

Take care everybody!
--Adrienne
(someday I'll get the signature going)
#321 of 1093 Old 10-13-2005, 04:28 AM

Hmmmm...... this has nothing to do with low-milk supply, but didn't our thread used to be in the FYT forum? Or did I miss a change somewhere?

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#322 of 1093 Old 10-13-2005, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

wow you are right. Wonder when that change happened!

I sure hope that this doesn't open our tribe to judgements or debate. If it does, let's all hit the ! button and request SANCTUARY!!

Adrienne - I know how you feel re: bottles (it was super hard to go to doula gatherings). But, I haven't yet met a mama in PDX that would judge you so please feel free to whip out whatever is necessary

Call me again if you need to talk or need help

V.
#323 of 1093 Old 10-13-2005, 05:32 PM

Thanks, Jen! We haven't had too much success weaning from supplements either. There are a few positives, though. I usually don't need to use the SNS first thing in the morning or for any 'overnight' feedings. And...depending on how long and when we're going to be out, I don't always need to use the SNS in public. She's getting so antsy when we're in public she really doesn't want to take the time to nurse anyway. Today she was so hungry she was crying so I tried to nurse and it was 'on and off and on and off and on and off.' I'm thinking...geesh...if you're that hungry then just nurse already. Every time someone new walked by she had to check things out (we were at the mall).

We DID used to be in "finding your tribe"! I'm glad they moved us to breastfeeding so low supply moms can find us. It's so easy just to give up and switch to formula/bottles - it takes a special mom to battle low-supply issues. I remember when I first did a google search I had no idea what would happen. I think I searched for "overcoming breastfeeding problems" or maybe it was "breastfeeding using an SNS". Whatever it was, thank heavens MDC was one of the sites that came up!
#324 of 1093 Old 10-15-2005, 09:05 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm -- unfortunatly -- a new member here.

My baby and I got off to a rocky start and I never knew it. I put so much energy into pregnancy and birthing research and didn't have ANY idea bfing would be so hard.

To make a long story short, I went to the BC and was 1-2 cm. They told me I wouldn't have the baby until at least the next day. I was given a sleeping pill to take at home so I could rest up for the next day of work. We drove home. I was prob entering transition by the time we got home and we didn't know it. DH gave me the sleeping pill as per the midwife's instructions at home. Labor kept on. I had the baby about 3 hours after we first went to the BC and she came out with one push. So much for predictions.

My husband caught the baby in his hands while I stood in the hallway. I lost a lot of blood. My first time trying to get the baby to nurse was on the gurney in the ambulance.

I was anemic and no one told me that could affect milk supply. I was also on percocet and codeine in the hospital due to some painful tearing. I was in survival mode and it never crossed my mind the drugs would also make the baby sleepy. Dumb, I know. But I was very out of it at the time.

We had her weighed at 2 wks and she was a few oz under her birth weight and the ped said not to worry. Six weeks went by. We started to get concerned that she felt so light so we took her into her 8-wk appt early and found out she'd gained only 5 oz over her birth weight!!

I called an IBCLC. She came over Friday and we put together this plan:

1. Feed more often than baby demands (baby had not been demanding enough we think).

2. Pump 6 x per day 30 min after a feeding to increase my supply.

3. Supplement with EBM as much as I can and formula when I can't BEFORE a feeding at the breast.

4. Baby will sleep 6-7 hours but I now wake her 4 hours after her final feeding to feed her.

What do you think about supplementing *before* nursing at the breast? Some people say it's better to nurse first so the baby is at her most vigorous then.

I'm taking fenugreek on my own. I don't smell like maple syrup yet, so does that mean I'm not taking enough?

I'm also eating more. I think I didn't get enough calories before.

I've cancelled all plans for the upcoming week. I have this one last week left before I have to return to work and want to put everything I have into increasing my supply.

I use a PIS and get about .5 oz from each breast when I pump. Very discouraging but I'm not giving up yet.

The LC weighed the baby before and after a feeding and the baby got about 1.5 oz from my breasts.

Please let me know about other herbs I can take and any other things you think I should do or need to know. I've read a lot at kellymom.com and am starting to read the Jack Newman articles.
#325 of 1093 Old 10-15-2005, 09:18 PM

HI Deborah--it's me from our August group. Also (unfortunately) here too.

Are you using an SNS? As I posted on the other thread, I highly recommend that you use one to preserve the baby's preference for the breast over the bottle. My baby now refuses to nurse and I can't possibly express how much I regret not fighting harder to keep him at the breast in the first place!!

Otherwise, there are two medications which can help milk supply: Reglan and Domperidone. I am taking Reglan which is helping somewhat, but has some potential side effects. Domperidone can be effective, but is not FDA approved for lactation so it's harder to get insurance to pay for it and can be expensive and have to order online, etc.

Another herb that has been found to be helpful, especially for people with PCOS, is Goat's Rue. I have been taking it for almost a month--not sure it's helping, though.

Just keep pumping!! Try to pump for 20 mins if you can. The schedule you are on is probably incredibly difficult to maintain, so go easy on yourself and arrange as much self-care and treats that you possibly can.

Is there anyway you can get a postpartum doula or someone who can help you this week?

Take care--wishing you and little O the best!

--Adrienne
#326 of 1093 Old 10-15-2005, 09:18 PM

I disagree with the advice to supplement before putting her to the breast - I would definitely nurse first then give any supplements through an SNS to stimulate your supply further.

I would add blessed thistle to the fenugreek - 3-4 capsules 3 times a day - or bag the pills and go for More Milk Plus by Motherlove. I would check Whole Foods, MOM's (My Organic Market) - in Rockville, and/or the Village Green Pharmacy off West Cedar Lane. I'm pretty sure it's sold locally. I would also consider ordering domperidone from www.globaldrug.tv - it will take a couple of weeks to get here. If you want to take it and need some, PM me as I have a box left over.

I would also rent a hospital grade pump - and make sure the flanges are the right size for your breasts. One size does not fit all!

Can you delay going back to work for another week and treat the remaining time as one long giant nurse-in?

Are you co-sleeping so baby can nurse at night as much as possible?

ETA: also make sure to eat a big bowl of oatmeal every morning for breakfast. I can also lend you the book Mother Food about foods/herbs that increase/decrease supply.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#327 of 1093 Old 10-15-2005, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

I agree completely with Quirky. All supplements should be done at the breast. Also on the hospital grade pump...PIS is good if you have established your supply already.

On you on *disability* through work? Ask your doctor for a note that you are unable to return to work yet.

V.
#328 of 1093 Old 10-16-2005, 08:02 AM

Quirky--

Thanks! I'll pm you.

Yes, she co sleeps with us but she was already sleeping through the night on her own. I had to rouse her after 4 hours and it sometimes take an hour to get her awake and then by the time I nurse and rouse her constantly it's another hour or so.

i feel like night feedings are not going well.

nak...
why wld an lc say to supplement b-4? crazy.

adrienne--sorry to see you here also.

i'm scared to ask for another week off...i'm a chicken...my boss is nice and wld prob say yes but our company is small...technically he did not have to give me any time off but he gave me 2 months total and a month of that paid.
#329 of 1093 Old 10-16-2005, 02:42 PM

The only reason why I could think that an LC would suggest to supplement first would be that if you are not having a let-down or making enough milk, baby may be so hungry that she's not going to want to just hang out and work to get that milk and so may not stay latched on - supplementing first maybe would take the edge off so that she was willing to concentrate on nursing. However, as others have suggested, you can use a supplementer like a Lact-Aid or SNS and both supplement and nurse at the same time. We've been doing it for over a year.

More Milk Plus now comes in a concentrated gel-cap form, if you don't like taking the liquid. Don't know if it's available in stores yet but motherlove has it on their website. Also check the labels of maple-flavored teas - my friend sent me a "Maple Herbal Tea" that she got on a trip to Canada and its main ingredient is fenugreek - and it must be a lot, my dp says I reek like syrup after I drink it.

Some compounding pharmacies dispense domperidone. My Dr prescribed it to me and I got it at a local compounding pharmacy, no problem.

Good luck... jen

#330 of 1093 Old 10-17-2005, 02:48 AM

I was just trying to go to sleep and I realized no one had explained SNS for you, Deborah, and I think it's really important. So I jumped up to the keyboard. PLEASE ask your LC about this ASAP.

SNS is a Supplemental Nursing System with a container of EBM or formula which runs into a tube. You put the end of the tube in the baby's mouth at the nipple, so they are getting the extra food while nursing. It keeps them from developing a preference for the bottle because it gives them more food and faster food.

It's another thing to have to deal with logistically, but if it can save your breastfeeding, it's WORTH IT!!!! Please learn from my mistakes and painful painful regret.

Here is the link for Medela's SNS... and there is another one available called a Lact-Aid. Maybe another user could tell you the pro's/con's of the Lact-Aid vs. Medela's SNS.

Sorry to be such a pushy mama...but please call your LC and ask her about it this morning!!!!!

Take Care! Wishing you the best this week...

--Adrienne and little Owen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page