Low-Milk Supply Tribe - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2006, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, Jane, you're so right... I just checked their FAQ's.
I hope ds will tolerate it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2006, 01:23 AM

leah - yes, what quirky said. They very strongly believe that breast is best for under a year and so don't market it as an infant formula for that reason. There are minimum nutrition requirements for formulas set by the government which they meet. It contains DHA and ARA precursors and has brown rice syrup instead of lactose because lactose is a simple sugar and brown rice syrup a complex one. I sent all of the info for health care providers to my dr and she reviewed it and saw no reason why we couldn't feed it to our son, we switched at around 4 months old. One big plus - it smells so much nicer and it is actually not bad tasting (it tastes a biti like Ensure if you've ever had that). I never could figure why baby formula tasted so nasty when breast milk is so lovely and sweet. If you order 2 cases at a time from their online shop it costs less than buying any of the big-name formulas. If you decide to go with it I have a bunch of saved labels for 2 free cans that I'd love to send you. Let me know. Maybe you could try it that way and not have to shell out any cash. jen

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 03-09-2006, 01:28 AM

Leah, I have a new unopened can that you could have as well - I bought it for our 72-hour kit but given that Clara is over a year now without DC going up in a mushroom cloud I don't think we'll be needing it. If you're coming to the NINO meeting next Tuesday I could bring it to you, or you could swing by and pick it up. Just LMK!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 03-09-2006, 11:26 AM

Jen - yes! That would be so great. I'll PM you with my address

Jane - thanks... I won't be able to make it to the NINO meeting this month, unfortunately But I'd love to swing by and pick it up -- just LMK what your schedule looks like these days!
Old 03-09-2006, 01:59 PM

Similac coupons - I know of another MDC mom who has some similac coupons/checks she's willing to donate to a low supply mom for use in an SNS/lact-aid - if anyone is interested, let me know.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:16 PM

Someone is doing a poll for low supply moms at:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=420786

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
Old 03-09-2006, 10:34 PM

Hi Mommas, I have been battling low supply on and off due to hospitalizations and Crohn's disease. I am on Reglan right now but plan to order Domperidone (sorry about the spelling there) I went to the health food store today and the owner sold me chlorophyll to help with supply. I did a search for it here and didn't come up with anything. DOes anyone know about if it works?
Old 03-09-2006, 10:51 PM

I know that green leafy veggies help with supply, so I imagine the chlorophyll thing is correct. Also "supergreens" (tablets/powders/bars) help as well. I like the GreensPlus chocolate bars.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:33 PM

Thanks Mary- I hate leafy greens, so this should be good for me. I am also anemic so I should probably take it anyway!

Question for you Mary, I am planning on ordering the domperidone, I have checked out globaltv and in housepharmacy, I wanted to check healthcarepharma as well, but their search feature says they don't carry it. I looked for domperidone and motillum. Should I be searching under a different name? Were you happy with the Dom you ordered from them?
Old 03-09-2006, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
It's motilium, not motillum, maybe that will help?

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8). 5 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013, 8/2014, ectopic loss @ 6 weeks 11/2014
Old 03-10-2006, 12:43 AM

Thanks, that's not it though. I just misspelled it here
Old 03-10-2006, 10:51 AM

I just checked healthcarepharma as well. Maybe they're out of stock right now. I don't know. Other than them, globaldrug.tv has the best prices. More expensive than healthcarepharma, but reasonable.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:56 AM

Thanks Mary, I wanted to be sure I wasn't looking for it wrong. Off to order it
Old 03-11-2006, 05:50 PM

Hey mamas, did you see that we are listed under "Featured Forums" on the MDC homepage?
Old 03-11-2006, 08:01 PM

How nice! We are featured! That is so cool! I hope there are other low-supply mamas out there who will see it and come visit us and know they are not alone.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:37 PM

I've been taking 3 fenugreek capsules, 3 times a day (total of 9). To be honest, I don't know if it's helping but I will try ANYTHING, kwim?

Well, I just read on another list (I think it was MOBI), that someone is taking 20 capsules a day. Geesh! That seems like A LOT!!

How much is everyone else taking?
Old 03-12-2006, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahida
Hey mamas, did you see that we are listed under "Featured Forums" on the MDC homepage?
I just came back here because I saw that.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
Old 03-12-2006, 01:10 AM

I'm taking 18 capsules of fenugreek a day. Not so sure that it is helping all that much. I'm also taking domperidone, metformin, goat's rue tincture and drinking a nursing tea from www.herblore.com I'm getting rather discouraged with breastfeeding. I feel like I'm always fiddling with an SNS. It seems like it takes so bloody long for one feeding. I tried to use the bigger tube but my little guy couldn't keep up with the flow. So we are using the small size tubing. I am thankful that my milk supply has gotten to where we don't have to supplement at night b/c that was just so tiring. Now I can just lay in bed and nurse him. For those of you that are taking goat's rue or have taken it did you notice your supply getting better the longer you took it? I'm hoping that will be the case with me. Oh and I found a green plant food drink at Trader Joes that did wonders for my supply. I went from being able to pump 1 oz in the mornings to 1.5 ozs. It actually doesn't taste bad either. Whole Foods has one very similar called Mega Green.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorker
I just came back here because I saw that.
Yay! Welcome back, Bjorker

Hey mamas - I have a question: for those of you who are nursing and giving supplements, do you feed your baby water? I read in the Dr. Sears Baby Book that ff babes should get 4-8 oz of water a day. But since he is only 30-40% ff, should I still give water?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:01 AM

I never fed T water until he started solids.

Leah, I sent labels your way yesterday.

Yippee for featured forum, perhaps one of these days we'll become our own sub-forum in breastfeeding? *tap toe*

jen

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 03-15-2006, 04:35 PM

Hi all, just thought we could use some good news, hope I can brag a little bit I had a good pumping day yesterday, and in the evening with babes I had a lot of milk, and they were both thrilled! They would hardly leave me alone, wanting to take turns and even fighting over me

It was pretty cute. It does make me a bit sad that I can't make them happy like that all the time though and I wish I could figure out what make a "good" day vs. a bad day.

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
Old 03-15-2006, 08:11 PM

yay for milky days!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:17 PM

Right on, MaryJaneLouise
Old 03-15-2006, 11:21 PM

marcyc - from what I have read, 3 caps/3x per day is fine for the fenugreek. that is what i take on recommendation from our doc.

I have a question about supplementing & starting solids. Did any of you find that you were able to stop supplementing once you started solids with your babes? I know that it's mostly exploration and not about the calories...but I was secretly hoping she won't need as much supplement once we start solids.

also, about when did you start solids if you are supplementing???? I know my DD isn't ready yet (she's not even 5 months yet)...but am excited for when i start to see signs from her.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:03 PM

MaryJaneLouise - I keep forgetting to say CONGRATS on the great milk day! I've often thought I should keep a chart and that way maybe I could trace back what caused good days/what caused bad...

Jilly - I've tried several times reduce and/or eliminate supplements since DD started solids, but she still seems to want that supplement. I'll continue to try and probably push a little harder after her first birthday when the nutrition can come from mainly food and BM/liquids are secondary. But right now while BM/Formula is primary and solids are just for fun, I'll keep supplementing as long as she wants or needs. I wish I had better news for you. All I can say is take cues from your baby and if you decide to try eliminating supplements and supplement with solids, be sure to go in for frequent weight checks. A 4 oz. jar of veggies has only about 30-50 calories as opposed to 4 oz. of formula, kwim?
Old 03-17-2006, 10:03 PM

I am new here and this is my first post. I am sad to have to be part of the low milk supply tribe. It was not always this way. My daughter, Audrey, is 4 months. We have had a rocky BFing relationship. She refused to BF at birth, then BF after 2 weeks, then I found out she wasn't gaining weight, so we went back to pumping and finger-feeding, then she BF with a nipple shield, then I weaned her of the shield, then we got thrush (which I suspect we still have, but am not positive), then she refused to BF for 2 weeks, then she started BFing with a nipple shield again. Her weight gain has been fine. She dropped off between month 1 and 2, but was still in the 50th percentile. She has always been difficult to nurse. She is kind of lazy, and if she doesn't nap well, she doesn't eat well. Things have always been up and down. I think her erratic nursing habits have finally taken a toll. She got increasingly fussy this week and barely stays on the breast for more than a few minutes. If I pump, I don't pump much (less than 2 oz). I started supplementing yesterday when I realized there was a big problem. Today, one time, she refused to BF at all and I gave her a bottle crying the whole time. A couple of hours later, I decided to try to nurse her since she probably wasn't hungry and would be more cooperative. She sucked through one let-down, then just sat there comfort sucking (we don't do a whole lot of this). She seemed to fall asleep, so I pulled her off and she opened her mouth searching for my nipple with her hand reaching out. It was so heartbreaking. I want to give up because BFing has never gone well and it has mostly been about me wanting the experience and not feeling rejected or like a failure. But when she wanted me just for comfort, I was reminded that she wants to do it, too, and I feel so bad. The obstacles seem insurmountable. And with possible thrush still lurking, I don't know if I can continue. I have been down the road of pumping like a maniac and I am not sure I can do it. I miss out on so much being glued to the pump. I want to enjoy her! I don't know what to do. My DH feels bad, but fell off the BFing wagon a long time ago and only supports me because I want to do it, but he thinks I am reaching my limit. I guess I just want some encouragement.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:37 PM

melbb - Welcome! I know it's the LAST place you want to be welcomed right now, but you've come this far. I remember when I first logged on and I think I google-searched "breastfeeding overcoming low supply" or something along those lines. I'm so glad I found MDC!!! Another thing you need to try is the yahoo group MOBI (Mothers Overcoming Breastfeeding Issues). Go to yahoo, click on groups, then search for MOBI. You need to be prepared to type in your story and send it a MOBI moderator to get approval, but once you're approved you'll be happy you joined. I feeling of failure, or not being good enough, or not being able to provide for your baby...those are all normal feelings for low supply moms.

The first thing I would say to get is an "at the breast"-supplementer. Either an SNS by Medela or a Lact-Aid system. They are somewhat different, there are pros and cons to each. I own 4 SNS's. I bought a lact-aid system, but didn't care for it so I sold it on ebay. Check ebay for Medela SNS or Lact-Aid. But whatever you do, try to get it ASAP. My very personal opinion is that for a first time mom, the SNS is easier. It's easier to set up, clean, etc. If you can afford it, spring for overnight shipping. Some LC's sell it. The hospital where I had my daugher has an "breastfeeding store" and they sell SNS's there - just get one...whatever you do.

Okay, that being said - there are some prescription meds and herbs you can take. Prescription drugs are Reglan (available in the US, contact your ob/gyn for a script) and Domperidone (available from overseas pharmacies - the popular one seems to be www.globaldrug.tv).

Herbs are Fenugreek (generally available at GNC), Blessed thistle, goat's rue, hops, nettle, red raspberry (these are less common but available on line at places like vitacost or vitamin shoppe).

Mother's Milk Tea will help - you can find this at GNC as well. I also find it at Kroger and Whole Foods.

Eat oatmeal helps boost supply as well as eat lots of leafy greens - every day I have a big bowl of dark green salad with some broccoli. Of course, avoid carbonated beverages, caffeine (chocolate), and salt, and any antihistamines (cold meds). Some people say that almonds help their supply and also malt syrup or carnation malt powder. I've also seen small supply increases when I eat grape nuts cereal. Oh, also avoid soy products. Soy increases estrogen levels and estrogen suppresses prolactin. The amounts are probably minimal, but when you're battling low supply, every little bit helps.

Check back here for hugs and support. Keep up the good work mama! Your babe knows you love her! Oh, also remember that breastmilk doesn't have to be "all or nothing"...Even if you have to supplement, you're providing all the breatmilk your body can possibly provide...mama...you rock!!!!
Old 03-18-2006, 12:26 AM

Hi there melbb, welcome! And yes, we all wish we weren't a part of this tribe For me, once I began to come to terms (I guess I am still coming to terms) with my supply issues and sought out support and community, things got a lot better.

I can't add much to MarcyC's excellent suggestions - but ditto on the LA/SNS. I know it probably sounds weird, but I *love* my SNS. I wish I didn't have to use it, but for keeping the babe at the breast, it is a godsend.

A book I have found really valuable is Motherfood by Hilary Jacobsen, a great resource for foods to increase milk supply.

We all deserve medals for perseverance and bravery in breastfeeding. I swear, we should create an awards ceremony - "The Mammies" LOL.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:09 AM

Welcome, Melbb. All the feelings you describe are familiar, and you have my sympathy. Know that you are doing the very best you can for your sweet baby, and *never* doubt the value of your struggle.

Great advice above from Marcy and Leah. I third the SNS/LA advice. I'm a LactAid devotee (I prefer it over SNS). As hard as it was to learn to use it at first, I figured it out and, like Leah, found myself really in love with the thing. It allowed me to BF my dd exclusively *at* the breast, even when I was supplementing. Using bottles at this point will probably only make things worse, unfortunately.

All of Dr. Newman's materials helped me a lot with problems I faced. His book, The Ultimate Book of Breastfeeding Anawers, is excellent, and the resources here: www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html were a big help as well. For rock-solid advice on BF in general, cheers to www.kellymom.com .

My dd and I went through an incredibly difficult start and had some really rough months, and I was so torn-up the whole time. It seemed like it was always going to be hard! But I'm here to tell you that it gets better. My dd is 9 months old now, nursing like a champ, and her only supplement is the solid foods she's eating. I finally feel like a "regular" nursing mama, and it's amazing. Hang in there! It's so worth it.

Glad you're here. Fire away with questions.

Meg, BFARing mama to two spirited daughters, born at home June 05 and April 08.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:34 AM

Hi Melbb, my heart went out to you when reading your post. I know how heartbreaking it is when breastfeeding doesn't go the way you had hoped. I'm currently nursing my second child and we use the SNS for almost every feeding and it has been a wonderful thing for us too. Even though I hate the fact that we have to supplement I'm glad that I don't have to use a bottle to supplement him with. I would highly recommend you get an SNS also. It will probably help to get your supply up and make breastfeeding so much better for you and your dd. *hugs* to you.

User Tag List