Low-Milk Supply Tribe - Page 25 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#721 of 1093 Old 03-24-2006, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi all,

i've been lurking here for a little while so thought it was probably about time to jump in....i have a question....

i have been taking reglan (with not too much effect) and am thinking of switching to domperidone...i am wondering if any one out there who has taken reglan has had more success with the dom and also what it was like on your body to switch?

and input would be much appreciated.......

-wanting desperetely to up my supply (just like all of us!)
#722 of 1093 Old 03-24-2006, 11:39 PM

AARRGHHH I have been waiting for my Dom to arrive from Global Drug, stretched out the last of my Reglan using 1 a day for the last 6 days instead of going cold turkey from 3 a day to nothing. Today I get a letter from Customs that my Dom has been seized!

What do I do? It had a form to respond, is it best that I don't? It said if I ignore it they will assume I am abandoning it. How do I let Global Drug Know it was seized? Help, my supply has already dropped from stretching out the Reglan, now I am out of Reglan and have no Dom either!
#723 of 1093 Old 03-25-2006, 01:23 AM

Will your doctor prescribe it to you? It's not illegal for them to do so. My doc did. She insisted that I come back in 2 weeks and have my heart rhythms checked to make sure that it wasn't giving me arrhythmia (which it wasn't). There are MANY compounding pharmacies in the USA that will fill a prescription. They make you take all the negative literature, too, but they'll fill it.

My 2 cents for the things that worked and didn't:

Worked: baby-wearing and nursing on demand, which I stlll do with an 18-month-old!

Didn't work: Everything else but my supply problem is due mostly to lack of working milk ducts... Domperidone and More Milk Plus helped the few that are working but it didn't get baby enough milk. Kind of like having a car where only a couple of pistons are working... making them work harder isn't going to make the car drive better...

Vrooom! jen

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#724 of 1093 Old 03-25-2006, 01:37 AM

Not to long ago I heard about someone else's dom being seized by customs and Global Drug sent another shipment out free of charge to the customer and she got the second shipment. I would definitely contact Global Drug and let them know. Maybe they would do the same for you. Hopefully you will get some soon so you can get your supply back up. I'm sorry that happened to you! Makes me think I should go ahead and order my next order early in case something like that happens to me.
#725 of 1093 Old 03-25-2006, 06:05 AM

Thanks for the great list, MaryJaneLouise

I still have some More Milk Plus tincture, but since making the switch to combo feeding, I have kinda given up on herbs, to be honest...just b/c I did not notice much of an effect.

I am eating oatmeal daily, trying to eat lots of lactogenic foods (those in the Motherfood book), and taking 120 mg/day of dom. I drink the nursing tea b/c I like the taste! Carob I have not tried, and might have to go for some of that because I looooove chocolate but the caffeine is not good for milk supply LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJaneLouise
Hi! I wanted to but in with a new topic that might be helpful for newbies. Here's a list of things I am taking / doing to help with my low supply:

Domperidone
http://www.globaldrug.tv/category.asp?CtgID=1003
Fenugreek and blessed thistle capsules
More Milk Plus alcohol tincture http://www.motherlove.com/product_more_milk_plus.php
Mother’s Milk Tea (Traditional Medicinals)
Yeast flakes http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=3476
Lecithin capsules (prevents plugged ducts)
Eating carob daily and using guar gum in baked goods

Other things I do:
Co-sleep
Breast compression
http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html
When pumping I use the Pumpin Pal (note spelling):
http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-SHIELDS-Br...QQcmdZViewItem

Hands-free pumping with rubber band trick:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/h...e-pumping.html

Things I’ve tried that didn’t seem to work for me / weren’t worth the time and money:

Inositol (a sugar found in oatmeal, since I’m gluten intolerant I can’t eat oatmeal)
Lactuca Virosa (homeopathic treatment)

Anybody else?
#726 of 1093 Old 03-25-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahida
Thanks for the great list, MaryJaneLouise

I still have some More Milk Plus tincture, but since making the switch to combo feeding, I have kinda given up on herbs, to be honest...just b/c I did not notice much of an effect.

I am eating oatmeal daily, trying to eat lots of lactogenic foods (those in the Motherfood book), and taking 120 mg/day of dom. I drink the nursing tea b/c I like the taste! Carob I have not tried, and might have to go for some of that because I looooove chocolate but the caffeine is not good for milk supply LOL
Leah,
I'm taking the tincture from herblore and at first it was working well... but after my 10 days on meds w/the pump and dump routine ;my supply really took a drastic dip. I was getting it back up when we went on vacation to Phoenix and dd decided not to nurse much. So, supply is again very low. ... Does the mothers love tincture have fenugreek? Fenu as I've posted b4 makes my legs swell so I don't take it.

I've made it 7 months and I'm just so tired all the time and feeling very low. I don't want 2 give up toytally but if I don't pump a min of 5 times a day my supply is nil and when I pump she cries ... not always but most of the time.... UG... Sorry for this post ,... just feeling a need to vent and maybe get it all out so I can continue to try and rebuild supply.

We're leaving for home now,... please say a prayer that I will find my good nature again so my dd doesn't see her mamma cryin all the time.
#727 of 1093 Old 03-25-2006, 02:17 PM

red17: sending you hugs, hugs and more hugs... it was hard for me to accept this from other btdt mamas, but it was still as good reminder -- that you are doing the best you can for your baby girl and it's okay to feel whatever you are feeling. it's really hard struggling with milk supply issues, it's hard to pump when baby is crying, it's hard to accept that a body can't supply a baby with all that s/he needs, it's hard to do regular life with baby things AND figure out the best solution for feeding your baby when you have a family to consider.

please know that i'm thinking of you and sending you peace and wisdom and strength and milky vibes and whatever else you need...

be gentle with yourself, too, and do something nice for yourself. you are the best mama for your own very best baby.

~claudia
#728 of 1093 Old 03-25-2006, 07:17 PM

red17, the Motherlove tincture does have fenugreek as its first ingredient

7 months - I'm in awe of you. I can only pray to continue to be able to give ds mm that long. Your dd is SO lucky to have you for her mama. We're here for ya anytime you need to vent. I could not have made it to almost 4 months without the support of my low-supply sisters. Hang in there, mama... I hope your back is better, and I'm adding my positive and milky vibes to Claudia's.
#729 of 1093 Old 03-26-2006, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboClaudia

please know that i'm thinking of you and sending you peace and wisdom and strength and milky vibes and whatever else you need...

be gentle with yourself, too, and do something nice for yourself. you are the best mama for your own very best baby.

~claudia
Claudia and Leah,
You both get a giant from me. Thank you both. You picked my spirits up with your wonderful milky vibes and sending me the wisdom and strength to take things a day at a time. Tonight was much better for our dd. She wanted to nurse!! I'm totally : with dd nursing and after she'd finished nursing I pumped and got close to an ounce!

Here's to milky days ahead@!! -- Lorraine to both of youllllllllll
#730 of 1093 Old 03-28-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto3girls
AARRGHHH I have been waiting for my Dom to arrive from Global Drug, stretched out the last of my Reglan using 1 a day for the last 6 days instead of going cold turkey from 3 a day to nothing. Today I get a letter from Customs that my Dom has been seized!

What do I do? It had a form to respond, is it best that I don't? It said if I ignore it they will assume I am abandoning it. How do I let Global Drug Know it was seized? Help, my supply has already dropped from stretching out the Reglan, now I am out of Reglan and have no Dom either!
Don't bother responding to customs.

Do contact global drug, I hear they have great customer service.

http://www.globaldrug.tv/contactus.asp

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#731 of 1093 Old 03-28-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottermonkey
hi all,

i've been lurking here for a little while so thought it was probably about time to jump in....i have a question....

i have been taking reglan (with not too much effect) and am thinking of switching to domperidone...i am wondering if any one out there who has taken reglan has had more success with the dom and also what it was like on your body to switch?

and input would be much appreciated.......

-wanting desperetely to up my supply (just like all of us!)
ottermonkey: wanted to make sure your question didn't get lost... i never took reglan, only dom, so i don't have any comparative experience to share. and i haven't done much research about the mechanisms by which they each work so i can't help there either.

the one thing i do know about reglan is that it has a higher risk of depression side effects, so if that is at all a concern to you (and for most women postpartum and dealing with milk supply issues, it probably should be) or if you have a history of depression, i would definitely consider the dom. it may or may not be hard to find someone to prescribe it for you. i actually got a prescription from the pediatric MD our son saw after his naturopathic ND (his primary care provider) requested we take him to an MD to rule out anything she may have missed. i don't know how many peds would be comfortable prescribing it, but this one was after a lengthy discussion of our breastfeeding plan with our lactation consultant.

sending you milky vibes... how old is your little one and when did you start working on increasing your supply?

~claudia
#732 of 1093 Old 03-28-2006, 04:05 PM

I agree w/ Claudia. The dom has had fewer side effects for me. The Reglan made me feel "drugged" and completely out of it. I bought my dom from www.globaldrug.tv
#733 of 1093 Old 03-28-2006, 05:28 PM

thanks for the input....ds is 4.5 months and we have been working on supply for the past month....reglan has helped but the side effects are hard to deal with....i ordered dom yesterday so hopefully it will make it through customs....we're up to about 2/3 bm (yah!) but still hoping to get to 100%....

i've been brewing my own nursing tea and it seems to have helped....here's what i do....combine in a big tea ball fennel and fenugreek seeds with hops and borage leaves...add to 2 qts boiling water for 20 min...remove tea ball and add generous amounts of raspberry, nettle, and alfalfa leaves and sprinkle in some lavender and chamomile...let steep overnight...in the morning remove all leaves and have a yummy tea left...i keep it in the fridge and add to water all throughout the day

this along with fenugreek/blessed thistle tincture/reglan (soon to be dom) /cod liver oil/and a daily bowl of oatmeal

in this month we've gone from 1/3 bm to 2/3...ds has gained near 4 lbs and grown 3.5 inches!

sending milky vibes to all!
#734 of 1093 Old 03-31-2006, 04:45 PM

gosh, i didnt mean to be a conversation stopper!

i do have a question though for all those taking dom....assuming mine gets here safely... i am wondering how those of you who take it figure out how much to take...do you start off with low doses and gradually increase or do you just go for it right away with a high dose and wean down to less if necessary?
#735 of 1093 Old 03-31-2006, 04:57 PM

see dr. jack newman's pages on dom here: http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...&id=5&Itemid=6

the lactation consultant i worked with said the typical amount that has the best effect is 20mg four times a day. that's what i started with and i actually increased it to a total of 120mg over the course of a day after not really noticing an increase. that was after talking to a friend of mine and sister low-supply mama (and MDC mama! -- Victorian!) who told me that higher doses did have some effect for some mamas.

that's great news about the increase in bm that your son is getting and his weight gain and length gain!

~claudia
#736 of 1093 Old 03-31-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottermonkey
gosh, i didnt mean to be a conversation stopper!

i do have a question though for all those taking dom....assuming mine gets here safely... i am wondering how those of you who take it figure out how much to take...do you start off with low doses and gradually increase or do you just go for it right away with a high dose and wean down to less if necessary?
Don't worry we start and stop lots. We're lobbying to get our own sub-forum without success:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=377219

Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#737 of 1093 Old 03-31-2006, 07:11 PM

thanks ladies!
#738 of 1093 Old 03-31-2006, 08:55 PM

Congrats ottermonkey on your son's weight gain and your increase in bm. Way to go, mama

I started at 90 mg/day of domperidone per Dr. Jack Newman's recommendation, and am now up to 120. I've noticed a difference from that extra 30 mg. The other night I was amazed - during my middle of the night pump, I pumped 2 ounces from each breast! That's the most I've ever been able to pump at once.

Btw, that tea you're making sounds great. I got lazy and stopped making tea (drank Mother's Milk tincture instead) but the tea is so much more soothing.
#739 of 1093 Old 04-02-2006, 10:28 PM

Hi all,

It's a miracle that I now have a MM stash in the fridge.

About a month ago, I started taking dom. It was the only thing I haven't tried. I noticed a little difference in my GI. Not sure if I should wean myself off the drug or not.

Baby started solids at 6 mos -- she's 7.5 months now -- and now takes less MM while I'm away so that is why I have some stash. I'm pumping the same and hoping, hoping, hoping that my low supply turns into the amount she needs now that she's having some solids.

I send hugs to all of you. Please be proud of what you are doing -- or what you have done -- for your little ones. I changed my sig recently because so many woman are proud of 100% bfing and I am proud of 87% bfing!! I worked so hard to be able to nurse as much as I can.

Once there was a time when I thought I wouldn't last until 6 weeks. Then I thought I'd make it just to 6 months and quit and now I'm thinking at least a year and maybe longer.

Peace,
hh
#740 of 1093 Old 04-03-2006, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto3girls

I have several unused boxes of dom you can have. I tried it for a few days and the side effects were too much for me. PM me your mailing addy and I will do my best to locate it and get it out to you asap.

--Amanda
#741 of 1093 Old 04-06-2006, 02:53 PM

How is everyone doing these days. I just figured out I have enough dom for 20 more days I wish I could take it longer, but I'm happy to have made it this far (she'll be 1 year old in a week!!!).

We're working on a sippy cup (with water). Once I start her on whole milk, I'll gradually switch to whole milk in the SNS and whole milk in the sippy as well. I'd like her to nurse as long as she wants, but I'm going to be content to make it at least a year!
#742 of 1093 Old 04-06-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcyC
I'd like her to nurse as long as she wants, but I'm going to be content to make it at least a year!
Yeah for a year! My guys turned one this month.

I know I'll still be getting not just the, you're still nursing, but the you're still STRUGGLING with nursing comments soon. Sometimes I do wonder. But it does make putting L to sleep so, so much eaiser. He just relaxes from :hyper: to la-la in 10 minutes flat

#743 of 1093 Old 04-07-2006, 09:23 AM

I'm preparing for those comments as well...especially once we start whole milk in the SNS. *they're coming...they're coming*

I have no idea how I'll respond. I'm trying to think of some witty remark, but she's cutting her 1st year molars and we're very sleepless around here.
#744 of 1093 Old 04-07-2006, 12:57 PM

I got these questions from reading another thread:

Have you ever felt let-down?

I've felt it on one side, but not regularly. On the other side, I've never felt it.

Have you ever leaked?

I've leaked a tiny tiny TINY bit on one side, but on the other not at all. I think I've used maybe 2 nursing pads this year.

What happens when baby pops off in the middle of nursing?

ONCE I had milk spraying out - it was just one thin stream, though. It wasn't like a "shower head", kwim? But that only happened once. Other than that, if she pops off, there's nothing. I don't even get the satisfaction of seeing those little milk dribbles running out the side of her mouth?

Just wondered about other low supply moms if these were things we have in common?
#745 of 1093 Old 04-07-2006, 02:11 PM

I know what you mean about the "you're still stuggling with nursing" comments. I've not gotten them yet.

I AM still struggling. I can barely pump 5 oz when I'm at work these days.

Have no idea why. The dom worked, then I stopped taking as much, and then I started taking more.

Could having taken and then stopped (for a while) the dom have caused this much of a dip? I used to pumo about 10 oz and now can barely get 5 or 7 oz per 8-hour work day.

This weekend I'll do some power pumping...

Oh, another weird event is that I'm SUPER hungry all the time--more so than usual. Oh, don't tell me I'm pregnant!
#746 of 1093 Old 04-07-2006, 02:21 PM

I've felt what I think was a letdown once, but not since then and that was 3 months ago. I leaked a couple times with my daughter but only in the morning did that happen. I've never leaked with my son. Never worn nursing pads with either of my kids. I've never seen sprays of milk or even drops when my babies have popped off. My son has started sleeping about 7 hours at night straight and when he wakes up to nurse I'm pretty full. I'm thinking I'm going to start pumping about 3 am so I don't loose that milk that he's normally been taking during the night. I just hate the idea of having to get up again to pump during the night. I was so enjoying just nursing him in the bed during the night and not having to get up to supplement or pump.

Congrats on making it to a year Marcie! That's awesome!
#747 of 1093 Old 04-07-2006, 03:17 PM

Have you ever felt let-down?

Not really, just a little tingly if it's been 2-3 hours since i last pumped.

Have you ever leaked?

Never.

What happens when baby pops off in the middle of nursing?

If I'm having a milky day, DS might have a little milk drool out of his mouth if he forgot to swallow and he's laughing or something And, it might see a couple of drops on my nipple. But never a spray it's gotta be squeezed / sucked outta there

#748 of 1093 Old 04-07-2006, 03:34 PM

This is an interesting thread about BFing low supply past one year:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=434283

#749 of 1093 Old 04-07-2006, 04:21 PM

Henhao, I bet you are!!! I must say I am *seriously* impressed with the amount of milk you can pump, but I would wonder: hm. Supply dip, hungry all the time... period late?

Q&A:
Have you ever felt let-down? The only let-down I've ever felt in connection to breastfeeding is the disappointment when I realized I would have to feed my son formula! I know, I know, that's not what you mean no, I've never felt the milk-ejection reflex.

Have you ever leaked? When I was using domperidone I would leak overnight. When I didn't nurse for quite a long time - only happened a couple times when my son's sleep schedule got off while we were on vacation - i did leak. When I accidentally slept on my stomach overnight I would sometimes leak. And when I had mastitis... yeah.

What happens when baby pops off in the middle of nursing? If he's gotten to the after-let-down point (I know I have a small let-down, because he will nurse for about a minute and then start swallowing every 2 or 3 sucks for about a minute's worth of sucking) and pops off, I get a slow drip, like one bead of milk per second.

A far cry from being able to spray the cat from across the room (one of my colleagues bragged of that).

I hope it's as sunny where you are as it is here. happy weekend, xo j

ps: eta cuz I forgot: Once I got T weaned off of the SNS I considered myself no longer struggling with nursing. He nurses now whenever he wants. Just because he doesn't get 4 oz of milk doesn't mean that anything is wrong with our nursing relationship. If someone commented to me that I was still struggling with nursing, I would look at them blankly, blink a lot and say "I am?". Just like when people look at me nursing him (with his legs kicking and looking all over and then getting down *while still latched on* and then saying "nurse! bye!" and running off) and they say "You're STILL nursing?" I look at them blankly and say "Um, yeah?". remember that you know best about your child

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#750 of 1093 Old 04-07-2006, 08:16 PM

hey all,

okay one more question....my dom arrived in the mail (yay!) so now i am wondering...do i need to fully wean off the reglan before beginning to take the dom or can i start now? i have searched the web in vain for guidelines about making this switch.

congrats to all you over a year moms.....that must feel so good!!!

thanks for any input.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page