Low-Milk Supply Tribe - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1093 Old 09-29-2004, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ckhagen,
Boy have I been down this low supply road! I also currently live about 1 hr from you near P'cola, so PM me if you want to chat. Baptist Hospital in P'cola has some decent LCs but I have to say I feel I know more about low supply from my internet research than from them. I have had supply issues from the beginning and have tried lots of remedies- Mother's Milk tincture & domperdone worked the best for me. Hang in there! The longer I nurse, the longer I want to keep doing it. DS is 7 mos, and I thought our bfing relationship would never make it this far!

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 1093 Old 09-29-2004, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Good advice everyone. I was half asleep when I wrote mine so I am glad that I am not the only one here! I second the idea of breast compression, it will really help with getting the fatty milk. Is there any way that you can drive to see those hospital LCs? I think that it would really help. Also your period story really implies to me that you might be having hormonal issues. Be sure to push to get that checked. Also in regards to eating. Can you eat soup? I find that if I make a huge pot of lentil soup and keep it warm and buy some nice hearty bread, I will eat that and it is so good for you. Also, if I have veggies and fruit cut up in the fridge with cheese i will snack on that.

V.
#183 of 1093 Old 09-29-2004, 09:43 PM

I'm so glad I found this tribe, so so sad that there are so many of us here. I only have a minute but I wanted to give some hope to those who think they may have hypoplasia and are planning on having more babies (I'll be back later to tell my story ) I had virtually no milk after my first was born, but there was really no BF support where we were living. We supplimented and he rejected BF at 3 mos. With my second I met with LC's before the birth and did just about everything possible to boost my supply-I had a bit more milk but still not enough and was diagnosed with hypoplasia when he was one month old. Unfortunatly he too soon learned to love the bottle and weaned at 6 months. My third was born last August and we are still happily BF! I definetly have more milk this time around-I actually get engorged and my breasts got bigger during pregnancy which NEVER happened before. We still had to suppliment, but not nearly as much. Based on the increase from baby one to baby three I think that if we ever had five I may be able to EBF or at least be very close.

I don't think that hypoplasia is as rare as the medical system makes is out to be-I've met several women online and IRL. I also wonder if there may be a genetic component to it, I believe my grandmother has it too.

Good luck to all of you, you are such great mamas!

Nicole now mama to three boys
Holden Ethan and Casper

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#184 of 1093 Old 09-29-2004, 10:34 PM

Oh Nicole you have no idea how happy your post makes me!! I too have been diagnosed with hypoplasia and have often wondered if my supply would be better with my next baby. Your post has given me hope in that. My daughter is almost 8 months old and we are still breastfeeding! I'm so proud that we have made it this far. Although a week or so ago I thought she was weaning b/c she would barely nurse, but she has picked back up again. Hopefully she will nurse through the winter at least=) Thanks again for your post!

ckhagen~ My heart goes out to you! These ladies here have given you great advice! Keep trying hon! I know it's so hard but it is so worth it! *hugs to you*
#185 of 1093 Old 09-30-2004, 02:04 AM

Thanks for all the awesome advice mammas.

I have an appt with the ped in the morning and if there's still a problem I'm going to call a lady locally who sells Medela products so I can pick up an SNS from her.

I would be worried about the stress factor if this hadn't been going on for over 2 months now.

I've always had problems with him barely eating. From birth he never wanted to nurse more than 10 minutes total. Right now we're down to maybe 2 minutes on each side before he quits and/or loses his mind.

I'm working on the calories, I went out and bought a bunch of Ensure drinks, because I know I can drink those.

We were nursing every 3 hours before... but if I let him (I tested it a time or two) he would go at least six without even hinting at wanting to eat. So, I fed him every three just because I knew he wouldn't unless I offered it to him.

We do co-sleep, I feed him nearly all night long. I swear I let him nurse on one side, flip over and then the other, and the cycle keeps going until about 8 in the morning. The only long stretch of maybe 4-5 hours might be when he first goes down at night, but I'm trying to pump during that time now.

I'm thinking it's possible you could be right about him just "evening out" I guess the ped will be keeping an eye on it and if he holds steady he won't freak over it. However, we're still sure I've got some level of low supply.

I did have an IV during the birth but he was massive, not just in weight. His chest was so wide and his shoulders would have never fit. The OB was positive she'd have had to break his collarbone to get him out... I had a c-section by the way after 38 hrs of labor because he was extremely stuck and not presenting correctly.

I do wear him in a sling often. He generally loves it. I'll try doing it more often.

I've just started trying to use breast compression, I haven't noticed a difference but I'll keep trying. I did notice that he doesn't take those long drawing sucks, but rather short fast sucks.

I've been out to GNC twice now for fenugeek and they've been out, but I'm going to try and find this elusive health food store out in Fort Walton that everyone swears exists and see what they've got, hopefully they may have the Mothers Milk tea.

I'm glad you brought up the thyroid/hormonal problems. I'll have to look into it. Because I called my OB and they told me that my situation with the period was "totally normal for some people". I was like... this is crazy... this can't be totally normal.

Thanks for lead lead on the LC's at Baptist, if it comes to it I may have to try trekking down there.

I can eat soup. Making soup is another story, but I can try anything.

Thanks SO much for your help, you've all mentioned at least one thing each so far that nobody else has. I'll update you all on tomorrows appointment. Thanks again!
#186 of 1093 Old 09-30-2004, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

I had one more thought - is he developmentally were he should be? have you tried to pump just to let down and then latch him on to see if he would nurse longer. If you did that and used compression, he might stay interested for longer.

Also, have they ruled out thrush, teething pain and ear infections that might cause him to stop nursing?
#187 of 1093 Old 09-30-2004, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I've always had problems with him barely eating. From birth he never wanted to nurse more than 10 minutes total. Right now we're down to maybe 2 minutes on each side before he quits and/or loses his mind.

We were nursing every 3 hours before... but if I let him (I tested it a time or two) he would go at least six without even hinting at wanting to eat. So, I fed him every three just because I knew he wouldn't unless I offered it to him.

We do co-sleep, I feed him nearly all night long. I swear I let him nurse on one side, flip over and then the other, and the cycle keeps going until about 8 in the morning. The only long stretch of maybe 4-5 hours might be when he first goes down at night, but I'm trying to pump during that time now.
So he will only nurse for 2 mins per side during the day, but will nurse for very long stretches at night lying down? Maybe nursing lying down is more comfortable for him? Does he nurse effectively at night? Suck suck with a definite swallow? Does he have a good inch of areola in there?

I wonder if he sustained neck or jaw trauma during his traumatic birth? The pain might bother him more when he is fully awake during the day, causing breast refusal. I would go see a chiropractor or a Cranio-Facial practitioner. Does he hold his head over to one side ever? This is called torticollis or wry neck.

http://www.ecureme.com/emyhealth/Ped...s/Wry_Neck.asp

link on why a baby might fuss at the breast:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html
#188 of 1093 Old 09-30-2004, 11:24 AM

Me again. I just wanted to say there is a terrific co-op in Pensacola called Ever'mans. They have fenugreek, Mother's Milk tea, and just about every other herb I've tried to increase supply (alfalfa, marshmallow root, fennel, brewer's yeast, etc). It's located downtown on Garden Street. It might be a trek now after the hurricane, but you could just take 98 from Destin straight there. If you like organic, natural foods-type places, it's worth a visit. Not sure where the health food store is in Fort Walton, though. Another thought is to get GNC to order it for you- I know GNC in Navarre had it when I bought it there a couple of months ago.

Also, you could order from http://www.motherlove.com. I've had good results with her stuff.

I hope your ped is more pro-breastmilk than mine. I tried to get her to write me a prescription for human milk, but she wouldn't do it so I wouldn't have to supplement with formula. Sigh.

Good luck!
#189 of 1093 Old 09-30-2004, 11:30 AM

See, if the baby is only willing to nurse for 2 minutes per side, boosting the milk supply with galactogogues may just cause engorgement. I would look to the root cause of why baby won't, or can't nurse!
#190 of 1093 Old 09-30-2004, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

I agree with Darylll. It seems that maybe your milk supply is because he is not/can't stimulate it properly. My son when to a chiroprator and it was night and day difference with nursing. Also a DO might help (make sure to find one that does manipulation) and would be covered by most insurances.

If there are none of those in your area, you could call around to doulas and ask them. They always have resources!

V.
#191 of 1093 Old 09-30-2004, 06:01 PM

Hi ladies

I have four children and had low supply with #3. I know that horrible feeling of praying for a wet diaper, or a BM. My DD would not suck from a bottle. I had to spoon feed her fruit juice and pureed fruit. We did nurse for one year but really she was weaned by 8 months. I managed to nurse a couple times a day till her first birthday but almost all her food was not BM. It was very hard and so sad and depressing to go through. I felt like I was failing her and starving her.

I still don't know what caused the low supply. Did she not like to nurse b/c I had a low supply, or did I have a low supply b/c she did not like to nurse?

She finally started sucking from a bottle around her first birthday, and she still drinks from a bottle. She is 2 1/2. She is tiny and has always been my tiniest-- she is always around the 20th percentile or lower. My others are in the 90th.

I never had this problem with the other children.

to you all!
#192 of 1093 Old 09-30-2004, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorian
I agree with Darylll. It seems that maybe your milk supply is because he is not/can't stimulate it properly. My son when to a chiroprator and it was night and day difference with nursing. Also a DO might help
V.
What's a DO?
#193 of 1093 Old 09-30-2004, 09:59 PM

Okay, so after reading all 10 pages of this thread I joined mothering.com for the express person of joining this tribe. I am so so thrilled to have found you (though not so so thrilled to be among those with low milk supply.

I'll try to make my story short. I gave birth via C-section at 37.5 weeks one day prior to a scheduled C-section due to preeclampsia. One baby went straight to the NICU and I didn't get to see him again for 24 hours, b/c the drug I was on (mag sulfate) made it impossible for me to get out of bed. I was in the hospital for 5 days, with my blood pressure actually getting worse instead of better. Charlie spent 8 days in the NICU and 3 on the Peds floor. The OB wouldn't let me pump for him at first, saying I needed to be resting instead (b/c of my bp). I didn't really learn to pump until 2 days later, didn't get to bf Charlie at all til he was 3 days old. Rob bf'd from the beginning but developed jaundice and lost more than 10% of his birthweight; they made me supplement with formula.

That whole week was extremely traumatic - my bp when I left the hospital was 175/115 - higher than when I checked in. In fact, I was on bp meds for 6 weeks postpartum. One of my LCs thought the drug might've hampered my milk supply. In retrospect, I also think that my horrible first week (there is much, much more to tell about the awful hospital stay but I won't lest this post grow even longer) may have resulted in some of my milk-making cells shutting down. I slowly realized I wasn't even making enough for one baby, let alone two.

Like the rest of this tribe, I tried everything, thinking that bf'ing was only a matter of determination, stubborness, perseverance, and hard work. Here's what I tried: saw 3 different LCs; tried fenugreek, blessed thistle, Reglan, Make Milk tincture (w/ fenugreek, blessed thistle, goat's rue, and borage), and am currently on Domperidone (without a prescription); used an SNS and later a Lact-Aid; rented a hospital scale, did test-weights on both babies before and after bf'ing then again before and after using the SNS (so I knew which baby had how much formula); kept detailed charts of everything; pumped up to 5 times a day for a total of no more than 4 ounces; spent 3 solid days in bed with both babies nursing on demand and only later realizing they must've been starving that whole weekend; took both babies to an osteopath for cranial-sacral therapy; listened to a CD with guided meditations and affirmations. In the process, I nearly drove dh crazy and cried almost every day. I felt betrayed my by body. And I just kept at it, thinking I couldn't give up b/c true milk insufficiency supposedly only strikes 1% of the female population.

Around the time the babies hit 3 months, it began to dawn on me how absurd my life had become, and I finally began to let go of my dream of fully bf'ing both babies. That was about the same time I started taking Domperidone, which I only found through internet research (none of my LCs ever mentioned it). For the past 3 weeks I've been taking 80mg and I'm finally able to fully bf Rob. Meanwhile, a donor angel has given me bags full of her extra frozen EBM. Charlie now gets that, along with some formula, along with whatever I'm able to pump. Every few days I will try to bf him, but it is mostly an exercise in frustration for both of us. He has never taken very well to the breast whereas Rob really likes to nurse (and does so nearly constantly - his constant demand helps my supply, whereas every time I've tried to work Charlie in, I think I have a dip).

So that's where I am for now - and so glad to know I'm not alone. In 2 1/2 weeks I go back to work, and I'm worried that I may have additional supply problems. As I face that possibility, here are my questions:
1 - I notice that some of you take much more domperidone than I do. How much can I safely take?
2 - I have a Medela PIS. Should I rent a hospital pump instead?
3 - Rob nurses very frequently (at 4 mos. he nurses about 12 times a day, maybe even more [I'm not always sure during the night since we cosleep and I don't always fully wake up to feed him]). Is this b/c of my supply issues, or may this just be normal for him? I know some newborns nurse this frequently, but I didn't know one his age might do the same thing. He seems happy and he has plenty of wet diapers. I haven't weighed him since I returned my hospital scale 10 days ago, but his weight gain seemed fine then.
4 - Given how frequently Rob nurses, how frequently during the work day should I plan on pumping? I live less than 2 miles from home and have a flexible schedule, so I can probably work it out to nurse him once during the workday, but otherwise I will be away from him for about 7-8 hours a day. Should I pump every 2 hours?

Okay, enough from me already. I'm just so so happy to have found you people!

p.s. to DaryLLL - a DO is a Doctor of Osteopathy
#194 of 1093 Old 09-30-2004, 11:21 PM

Good news!!!

He gained 9 oz in 10 days! I'm so excited. Evidentally the frequent feedings is helping. He BARELY ate today, I swear I feel like out of the 6 times he's nursed in the past 12 hours it would total 10-12 minutes.

It's not so much that he nurses for long stretches at night, it's that he doesn't scream, so I've tried nursing him lying down during the day, but it doesn't seem to help much. I think at night he's just tired and doesn't have time to think about whether or not he's getting something, he's just sucking for comfort at that point. The sucking action is about the same, usually the only time he takes long draws is right in the beginning.

I should also mention that I've never had anything close to nipple soreness (aside from the first 36 hours), never any cracking or bleeding, or anything of that sort. I've been immensely blessed in that respect.

I've not purposely tried the pumping then feeding idea. I accidentally pumped once about 20 minutes before it was time for him to eat and I think that was the most pissed off he's ever been. He wasn't getting anything. He got so mad I had to give him formula.

Developmentally, the ped hasn't said anything except for him having a slight bit of hypotonia (low muscle tone). He can stand up holding on to the couch... he's only 4 mos. old so I think that's pretty good. He doesn't roll over back-to-stomach yet, but he hates being on his stomach, so he sees no reason to. He's the happiest baby you'll ever meet, he always smiling, he loves people and faces, but feeding him turns him into a monster!

No thrush, no signs of teeth (he does drool excessively, which the ped brought up as meaning he is hydrated, and he chews his hands and feet all the time, but no bumps, and no crying except when eating.)

We don't suspect any injuries, we could always be wrong but he never even crowned. I got to 8cm, but the only thing that looked wonkey on him was the big lump on the top of his head that was swollen He doesn't lean at all, I've seen cases of torticollis and he definitley doesn't have that. He does prefer my left breast, which by the way almost always gives up double what the right one does when I pump, which could be a result or the cause of him favoring it. Who knows!?

I may try the chiro I've never been (my mom has) but we have a great one out here who delivered all four of his kids at home with water births, so he's very AP friendly.

I found the HF store in FWB, I got the Fenugreek and Mother's Milk tea... What should I do with them? Hehe... I'm clueless.

You all are so awesome. Hopefully I'll be getting somewhere with this. I'm so proud of his weight gain though. It makes me feel a little better.

Btw, I hear everyone reccommending the Whittlestone pump. Are the recs coming because it's painless, or does anyone see an increase in EBM as a result of using it? I had to bring back my elec. pump I had (some cheap Evenflo one) because it just wasn't working well... the manual one works WAY better.
#195 of 1093 Old 10-06-2004, 09:22 PM

doin' the bump

(am hoping for some answers to the questions in my long-winded previous post)
#196 of 1093 Old 10-06-2004, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

NAK

Hello Earthchick. Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I have been frantic with getting homework done and tired bacause I get up so early to do it

I think that your birth experience really f***ed up you milk supply (to put it bluntly). I too got to the point where my definition of breastfeeding success was to continue to nurse him even if it wasent exclusively. I think that it was a very healthy place for me to be. You are a great mom and are doing a great job! I hear a lot of pain in your story, and a lot of power being taken away from you. I suggest that if possible you find a Birthing From Within teacher and ask if they teach a birth story workshop. It will help you to reclaim some of that power. Another great resource is the www.bfar.org website. Although you didnt have a reduction, their website is great for info!

to answer your questions:

1 - I notice that some of you take much more domperidone than I do. How much can I safely take?

http://www.bfar.org/domperidone.shtml - 160 (40mg/4x a day)

2 - I have a Medela PIS. Should I rent a hospital pump instead?

you could try it. everyone is different. I got the same # of milk from an Isis handpump than with a big fancy one! I have a friend that pumped exclusively for 12 months due to a baby with a neurological disorder that make nursing imposible. She was part of a yahoo group for exclusive pumpers at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EPers/. they might be able to help with these questions.

3 - Rob nurses very frequently (at 4 mos. he nurses about 12 times a day, maybe even more [I'm not always sure during the night since we cosleep and I don't always fully wake up to feed him]). Is this b/c of my supply issues, or may this just be normal for him? I know some newborns nurse this frequently, but I didn't know one his age might do the same thing. He seems happy and he has plenty of wet diapers. I haven't weighed him since I returned my hospital scale 10 days ago, but his weight gain seemed fine then.

my 15 month old murses that much. I think it sounds completly normal. remember nursing is more than food.

4 - Given how frequently Rob nurses, how frequently during the work day should I plan on pumping? I live less than 2 miles from home and have a flexible schedule, so I can probably work it out to nurse him once during the workday, but otherwise I will be away from him for about 7-8 hours a day. Should I pump every 2 hours?

I would nurse right before leaving, pump at every 2 hours and more if I felt "full". IF possible. How long does it take you?
#197 of 1093 Old 10-06-2004, 10:08 PM

Hello to all the new members of our little tribe. Not sure if I have any answers to your Qs, earthchick. Pumping just didn't really work at all for me- my kids were already totally on formula by the time I went back to work PT. Have you checked out the working mamas forum under Parenting Issues? Those ladies often have some very good advice re: pumping & working..... Don't know if any have had supply issues, as well as twins!!, but they might be able to help a bit.

I can, however, totally sympathize with the driving yourself mad trying everything under the sun to keep on bf-ing. I never did try the SNS- couldn't face another contraption, TBH, but that's just me. My marriage was on shaky ground over the whole ordeal, I sobbed constantly, fretted & worried myself sick over the FTT, with the second child I felt like I was neglecting the first by bfing the second all day & night just to keep him alive, yada, yada, yada..... Really, it amazes me the lengths that we low-supply mamas go to in order to keep on trying to feed our babies..... we're heroes in our own quiet way, kwim? Gotta run, as usual!!

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#198 of 1093 Old 10-07-2004, 12:20 AM

ckhagen,

How great his weight gain has picked up! Small frequent feeds might be what suits him best.

Reading your post made me think of this kellymom.com page:

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/slow_...ths_01-03.html

esp this part:
Quote:
One more reason requires a little more explanation. In the first few weeks, babies tend to fall asleep at the breast when the flow of milk is slow (this slowing of the flow occurs more rapidly if the baby is not well latched on). The baby will suck and sleep and suck, without getting large quantities at this point, but the mother may have a letdown reflex (milk ejection reflex) from time to time and the baby will drink more. When the mother's supply is abundant, the baby usually gains fine, though he may spend long periods on the breast despite the mother's abundant supply. However, by the time babies are 6 or 8 weeks of age, younger sometimes, many babies start to pull away from the breast when the flow slows down, often within a few minutes of starting nursing. This is more likely to occur in babies who received bottles early on. The mother will then likely put the baby to the other side, but then the baby will do the same thing. He may be hungry still, and may refuse the breast preferring to suck his hand. He won't get those extra letdowns that give him a few extra gushes of milk that he would have had if he had stayed on the breast. So he drinks less, and the supply also decreases because he drinks less, and the flow slows even earlier in the feeding (because there is less milk) and you see what may happen. It doesn't always happen this way, and many babies may gain even if the do spend only a short period of time on the breast. They may still pull off and suck their hands because they want more sucking but if their weight gain is good, there is no need for concern.
etc...

Take a look and see if that sounds like your baby.
#199 of 1093 Old 10-07-2004, 12:38 AM

earthchick,

Welcome to mdc!

I was amazed at your story of perseverance and love for your twin babies. How scary to have to overcome the pre-eclampsia/HBP while worried about your little guys.

My feeling was one of surprise and victory that you are able to fully bf at last one of them! I wasn't expecting you to say that!~

So, IME (15 yrs as a volunteer lactation specialist for an intl bfing org), most moms find a rental hosp grade pump (usually the Lactina by Medela) works best for long term pumping. Quieter, more efficient, no batteries wearing out. You can get a double pump kit and even a hands-free contraption to hook to your bra so you can do work or eat while pumping. Or pump one breast while a wigggly baby is on the other side. Ask your Medela rep for these. 1-800-TELLYOU for your closest rep.

BTW, all 3 of my kids nursed every hour, well past 3 mos. Well past 6 mos. OK, they nursed every hour until age 2 yrs! With one longer stretch at night if we were alseep together or very busy. Many of these frequent feeds would only be 5 mins or less when they got past a yr or so. But an older baby/toddler can suck down several oz in 5 mins.

2 of mine weaned while I was pg, but my ds still nursed 8 x/day at 3, 3 1/2 yrs. He was down to only 2 nursings a day by age 4 and weaned at 4 1/2.

For many great tips on nursing while working, get the book, Nursing Mother Working Mother. Available to borrow at most LLL groups, or to buy at:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/Web_sto...=3523220_29333

Also get Mothering Multiples, if you haven't read it already. You didn't mention if you have been to LLL mtgs.

Good luck! You are doing a great job!
#200 of 1093 Old 10-07-2004, 05:49 PM

Hi again. Thanks for the welcome, the encouragement, and the advice! Much appreciated!

Victorian, thanks for the info about domperidone and the websites you referred me to. I'm also really interested in the Birthing From Within you mentioned. My birth experience was just so not what I wanted, and it has esp. given me grief since I'm pretty sure it will be my only one. I have never heard of a birth story workshop and will definitely look into it!

Re: pumping, I usually only do about 5-10 minutes (double-pumping), as I'm usually doing it after I've just nursed Rob. The times I've pumped instead of nursing, it's more like 15-20 minutes.

aussiemum - Thanks for pointing me to the working mamas on the Parenting Issues board. I will check it out! And I totally know what you mean about the SNS being one more contraption. I hated that thing with a passion and finally got too burnt out to use it.

DaryLLL - I really appreciate your reinforcing the idea for me that it really is a victory that I'm fully bf'ing one of my little guys. It does feel that way, most of the time, though initially I had some guilt over "giving up" on Charlie.

I have ordered a hands-free kit for pumping at work and I do think I will rent a Medela Lactina for at least a month. I used one in the beginning when I was working on my supply issues til a friend gave me her barely-used PIS.

I have read Nursing Mother, Working Mother and found it helpful (though I still had questions and I guess I won't know how it's all going to work til I do it myself). And I own and love Mothering Multiples (though I must admit it contributed to my madness since it reinforced for me the belief that if I only tried hard enough I could make things work - overall though, it was a very good book and I still refer to it). I am a member of a local LLL group and have found my leader to be very very supportive of my efforts.

I'm so glad to know that my big guy's constant eating doesn't mean a supply issue. I was just really unprepared for an older baby to still eat so frequently!

Thanks for all your help everyone!!
#201 of 1093 Old 10-12-2004, 02:04 AM

unfortntly or fortuntly (however you see it lol) i belong here also
i nursed my 1st babe for 6 months and then stopped due to a low supply. i am still nursing my 2nd at almsot 8 months but i take domperidone and believe its the only thing that is preventing me from quiting. that and the fact the my 2nd LOVES to nurse lol!! my 1st was either or.
My problems are probly due to the fact that i use a sheild due to inverted nipples and i think because 1 of my breasts is smaller than the other.
sometimes it makes me wonder what gives ya know? why is it that the people that want to BF have so many problems and the people that dont are "perfect" ya know?
anyhoo im rambleing!
#202 of 1093 Old 10-12-2004, 02:29 AM

Oh yes, I know that evil jealousy monster..... I have been very guilty of wishing for a set of someone else's boobs.... I'm glad to hear that bf'ing bub number two is going better than the first.

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#203 of 1093 Old 10-12-2004, 09:50 PM

Well I finally started Domperidone. However, I planned poorly and I am going to run out before my new shipment arrives.

Is there anyone here who might be willing to "loan" or sell me some Dom to tide me over? I'm sort of desperate as Aunt Flo is almost upon me and my supply dries up to practically nothing.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#204 of 1093 Old 10-13-2004, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

I wish I had some to send you. Try posting on the breastfeeding boards and trading post too.

V.
#205 of 1093 Old 10-13-2004, 03:13 AM

Hello all...
I feel all your pain...
After 5 years...yoga, organic, travel with my dh, selling my art and loving life...I heard a knock, my baby calling me. A brush with cancer and they said I mite never conceive. I was pregnant!!!!!!!!!!
I was adopted, an abandoned baby...my baby would know he was wanted...loved, from the second he was conceived...
Yes a homebirth please...midwife...no doctors for us, thankyou.
Midwife going back to university, move to the city for access to midwifes...book into the local birthing suite...at the hospital :
Back in my own home, we made a nest for our baby...family bed, b-feeding, organic, homegrown...love love love.
Shock....transverse breach, big healthy baby 57cm long at birth, 35cm head (big head like his mama) I was a size 6!!
C-section...I cried for days...
Next shock...tongue tied, could have surgery, but no aneasthetic, not for my precious baby, no-circ either...back off you butchers!!!
Lucky he was 9lb born...we tried lactation consult, herbs, acupuncture you name it.
I bled, he lost weight...we wailed together in the nite. No help from mum, she nursed 6...just popped them on and off they went.
Nasty SIL (4mths preg) said she'd read somewhere that "they can even get MEN to b-feed now...b*tch...but there's karma...she has not been able to feed her three...and stuck them in daycare at 6WEEKS!!!! she doesn't work either, but she does have nice nails, hair and goes to the gym!!!
Anyway, he went on the formula at my dh's insistance
Now he's 5 and a half...and so beautiful...no allergies yet, so clever, reading age of 9 or 10 ( I was a teacher)
Happy healthy, gymnastics, tennis...organic, sugar-free
I recovered from PPD...exercise, sleep, love...no help though...wish I had a supportive family...but I have MY family now...DH, PB (precious boy) and me.
#206 of 1093 Old 10-20-2004, 06:35 PM

question for you all: what does giving formula to a baby do to their digestive system? positives and negatives? please cite sources and give links (if you have them).

thank you!

warmly,
claudia
#207 of 1093 Old 10-22-2004, 02:47 AM

Ah, I'm another member of this sad tribe. I am proud that I've been able to nurse my son 6 months now, although he gets less than half his milk from me. But what he does get is a great comfort to him and so it's been worth it--and like so many of you ladies, I've tried everything.

I'm currently on Domperidone, which is allowing me to have the little milk I do have. But it's also suppressing my periods. Have any of you been on dom and stopped taking it? How long did it take for your fertility to return? I'd like to TTC as soon as we're done nursing.

I don't know when that will be, but the dom seems to be losing its effectiveness for me...
#208 of 1093 Old 10-22-2004, 02:45 PM

You know I was thinking the other day that the domperidone must be suppressing my periods too. Makes sense I guess b/c it elevates your prolactin levels. Right now not having a period is just fine with me b/c we aren't trying to get pregnant until next year. Unless once I come off of it will it take a long time to get my period back.
#209 of 1093 Old 10-22-2004, 03:02 PM

i was wondering about it all too, i have been on domperidon for 8.5 months now and never seen a sign of my periods yet, and i will want to ttc early next year, should i stop taking it now?? but then i will have no supply. So do i have to quit nursing so my periods will come back and can have another baby.
im so confused. i dont want to stop nursing but with wanting to concieve and returning to work in january do i have much choice.

yanjam, i agree i think dom has lost lots of its effectiveness for me too
#210 of 1093 Old 10-22-2004, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hi. Just wnated to point our that I am not on dom. and Niko is 15 months old and I am period free still .

don't have any advice on stopping nursing to tcc. I am not going to try again. But that is a good question.....did you go to a fertility expert? Maybe the ladies on the TCC board here might have some ideas or suggestions if you ask them.

V.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page