Could my 'new' breastmilk be giving toddler diarreah? Also, what to do for diaper rash due to diarreah? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2010, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just gave birth a week ago and I'm tandem nursing. My 20 month old has had soft stools for two days now (about the time my milk really came in). He's pooped several times a day, mostly soft (close to watery) and stringy. Sorry TMI. He now has his first red, sore bum ever. Could these be related? Also, any suggestions on what works for a red bum? It is causing him a lot of discomfort. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
yup, early milk is perfectly designed to clear meconium. i would suggest giving your toddlers bum a thorough cleaning and then putting some breastmilk on it and then maybe a layer of shea butter over that to seal and protect the skin. if at all possible, give him lots of nakey time, though that may not be practical if it would mean you would have to clean up lots of potty accidents while recovering from childbirth.

do you CD? a snappied prefold would catch messes but still let the skin breathe a bit.

Bring back the old MDC
Old 02-27-2010, 10:36 PM

Yes, colostrum is a laxative and you should expect your toddler to have diarrhea until your colostrum disappears (I was told this from a LC). Actually, she told me that this happens before you have your baby (colostrum can come in as early as 20 weeks pregnant or so).

As for the diaper rash, lots of nakey time and breastmilk. If we're going to use a cream of some kind, we love Magic Stick when we're using cloth, and when we're not, I like Lansinoh diaper rash cream.

SAHM mom to 3 wonderful kids!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:47 PM

it does have that laxative effect, though my toddler adjusted in a week or so. It's great for weight gain and immunities, so it's not bad, just have to treat the dipe rash before it gets worse :

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   

User Tag List