Breast pad suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-01-2010, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am expecting soon, and with the amount I leak now, and my mother's consistent over-supply issues, I want to be prepared for leaky breasts. What kinds of breast pads do women find helpful? Someone suggested the Kissaluvs pads, or the La Leche League pads, and I have a couple of boxes of the Lasinoh disposables a friend gave me. I would also be curious how often you needed to change them, if they showed through a bra (I'll be working shortly after but still nursing and pumping) and any other suggestion anyone has. Thanks!
#2 of 12 Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 PM

I am still using disposables, originally I was going to use reusable ones, but never got around to investing in really good ones, although I might still get around to it. So I personally love the Lansinoh ones, I only need to change them once a day, in the beginning when my milk first came in I would sometimes have to do it twice. I'm not a big leaker though either. I was also given some leftover gerber heavy flow pads that worked really well also, but I seem to always go back to Lansinoh...

At home mommy to Paige 2004, Sydney 2006 and Cole 2009 :
#3 of 12 Old 03-01-2010, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

I was kind of wondering if the disposables are less "breathable" and if this kind of thing mattered at all with breast pads?
#4 of 12 Old 03-02-2010, 02:26 AM

I do think some of the disposable pad are less breathable, but if you change them when they get damp, with can be frequently you should be fine. I would also recommend getting some of the washable pads for at home and to wear at night, because they are breathable and reusable. They do show threw your shirts in my experience but I enjoyed them for at home.

You can get the washable pads at target in the baby isle or online.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#5 of 12 Old 03-02-2010, 03:14 AM

My little one is 5months old and I am just getting over my over-supply issues. I have tried the Johnson & Johnson's, the La Leche League ones, and reusuables, and I didn't like any of them. I would soak through them in a minute when I started to feed because of the letdown.

The Gerber brand has light, medium and heavy. They are expensive but you don't have to change them every couple of hours. I used the heavy ones for about the first 4months and changed the pads every 12hrs. I know you're supposed to change them more often but I kept forgetting :P When I was changing every 24 hrs I started using the medium flow ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Contou...ef=pd_sbs_ba_2
#6 of 12 Old 03-02-2010, 03:23 AM

the absolute best ones i have found are these:

http://www.danishwool.com/products/i...sing_pads.html

they are wool and they have lanolin in them naturally so they work really well for healing chapped or cracked nipples. and they are soft!!!

i know they are pricey but you only have to buy like two sets and then you can reuse them, which is so much better than the disposables, plus the diposables always caused chapping for me because they were moist from the milk and it was SO irritating.

eh. who needs a signature?
#7 of 12 Old 03-02-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone!
Playamama, can you just wash the wool ones in the laundry? How do you care for them?
#8 of 12 Old 03-02-2010, 08:55 PM

I wore Lilypadz starting at about 3 months and they were FABULOUS! They are adhesive and I only leaked once ever (despite crazy oversupply/overactive letdown), and that was because I didn't put it back on correctly. They don't show through any type of clothing, I even wore them with a cute slinky nightgown

http://www.mom4life.com/catalog.php?item=19

Jessica , wife to L (8-5-05), Mama to H (9-18-09)
Regretting our decision to circ after complications that could have killed our baby boy!
#9 of 12 Old 03-02-2010, 09:46 PM

Disposables were terribly itchy. I hated them! I have some avent I don't think are too great. I like mine from motherhood pretty good. They don't show thru, but they do stick to my nipples sometimes.
#10 of 12 Old 03-03-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclare View Post
Thanks, everyone!
Playamama, can you just wash the wool ones in the laundry? How do you care for them?
i just rinse them in cool water and let dry. they dry pretty quickly, like overnight, maybe a bit longer if it was really damp out, you can always hand them in front of your wood stove or fire during the winter if it's wet. you can also do a lanolin rinse if needed. i get some really hot water and mix like an inch of lanolin in until it dissolves and then just pour it on them and try to squish the lanolin around.

i found if i did it in the sink more lanolin would get on the sink rather than the pads so i just put it on the pads.

eh. who needs a signature?
#11 of 12 Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Those sound great-- I think I will get a selection. I asked my mom about it, and she said that she used folded up cloth diapers for the first few weeks in her bra cups....im not vain, but I would love something a bit nicer! I will invest in some of those lovely wool ones and some of the others mentioned-- plenty of moms around me who would take hand me downs. Thanks!
#12 of 12 Old 03-03-2010, 04:47 PM

I leaked big time with DD2 (for 2 years!) and loved the Lasinoh disposables. They never failed me.
I also got some FuzziBunz reusable ones that I really like. They are soft inside and have PUL on the outside.

Leigh

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page