best bottle nipples for bf baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-02-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have low supply and need to supplement with formula. I've been using the slow flow nipples that came with my bottles (Medela and Evenflo) and some Gerber medium flow, all silicone. Now that DS is breastfeeding more, he seems to be liking them less and less and seems confused when he has to bottle feed (though he's not when he's nursing, yay!).

Which nipples are the most like breastfeeding? I use silicone exclusively.

Also, should I stick with slow flow?

Thanks!

Lore, mom to my sweet little boy, born at home 11/09, and my spunky little girl, born in the hospital 10/10

#2 of 6 Old 03-02-2010, 01:23 PM

I think different babies respond to different nipples. My ds did well with the Avent number 1's (slow flow), and he never had any issues going between bottle and breast. Dd is a little different. She takes the Avent or VentAire fine - maybe even drinks them faster - but I've noticed that she is fussier about "working" at the breast or impatient about waiting for the letdown when she's used those during the days I work.

I've asked caregivers to try the Breastflow instead, even though it takes her longer to drink. The idea is that baby has to use both suck and compression to get the milk, like with bf'ing, so it requires a little more "work". I don't know yet whether this will make a difference, but so far I like them best.

Also, I have always understood to stay with the slowest flow if baby is still nursing also.
#3 of 6 Old 03-02-2010, 01:28 PM

People at my LLL meetings recommend these - http://www.learningcurve.com/breastflow

Ashlee - wifey to Josh , mama to Gavin 9/2007 , and expecting a baby GIRL 7/20/10.
#4 of 6 Old 03-02-2010, 02:52 PM

Definitely stick with slow-flow. I would actually suggest supplementing him at the breast with a Lact-Aid or SNS instead of with a bottle, it helps avoid that preference, and it helps boost your supply at the same time.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 6 Old 03-03-2010, 03:48 PM

I second the breastflow.. the only downside to the breastflow bottles is that they do not fit on my pump (or any pump, i assume by the size of them).. make sure you get the bpa free ones if you do, they were a bit slow to issue those and i think you might still be able to get the old ones on amazon if you're not careful.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#6 of 6 Old 03-03-2010, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! DH is out at BRU as I write this picking up a few different brands of slow-flow nipples to try out (we desperately needed new ones) but I'm gonna order some Breastflow bottles. Cristeen, thanks for the tip! I'm thinking about getting the Medela SNS. There's a mini one for $18 that I'm going to try to see how it works. If so, I'll get the more expensive one.

Lore, mom to my sweet little boy, born at home 11/09, and my spunky little girl, born in the hospital 10/10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page