Will getting pepper sprayed be a problem? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-19-2010, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I am going to get sprayed with pepper spray (Oleoresin capsicum) will that transfer to my 6 month old who I am still breastfeeding? I pump at work (3 x a day) and will probably pump during this 1 day training class, but I am wondering if the stuff will transfer into my breastmilk? I am also afraid I won't be able to get most of the stuff off my skin even after a shower? Maybe I can wear layers to prevent much skin contact? Just curious if anyone has experience with this or thoughts. I plan to also ask my child's DR but they don't seem all that hip on the latest breastfeeding info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 03-19-2010, 11:15 AM

Yikes, sorry that you have to go through that...it must be training for a law enforcement job or something???

Did you check the OSHA material safety data sheet (or something like that!) on pepper spray? Hopefully it would be addressed there.
#3 of 14 Old 03-19-2010, 01:17 PM

Ouch! My first thought was "don't get sprayed while breastfeeding the baby!!"

I have no idea about transfer to milk - my biggest concern would be transfer from your hands to the pump etc.

Good luck!!
#4 of 14 Old 03-19-2010, 08:08 PM

Hehehe, you must be training to be a cop or something. I have fond memories of the police science kids getting pepper sprayed in college - VERY funny to watch

Ahem. Anyways. I can't imagine how it'd transfer to your bm, I mean, its not like your ingesting it!! And besides... afaik its edible anyhow - thats the beauty of it! Good luck!!
#5 of 14 Old 03-20-2010, 03:27 PM

Totally weird suggestion, but...maybe put plastic wrap over your boobs under your bra? That way you could even change clothes entirely and they'd still be safe.

Jessica , wife to L (8-5-05), Mama to H (9-18-09)
Regretting our decision to circ after complications that could have killed our baby boy!
#6 of 14 Old 03-21-2010, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I might do the plastic wrap just to be extra sure and take gloves to use when I handle the pump just to be super safe. I just hope the stuff getting into my eye membranes won't seep into my breast milk, even yhough I am pretty sure it will be fine. I'm just worried because I am already off dairy due to his sensitivity!
#7 of 14 Old 03-21-2010, 10:37 PM

A little OT, but when madamelbosque said it was edible, all I could think of was Homer Simpson using pepper spray on his food. “Mmm...incapacitating.”

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#8 of 14 Old 03-22-2010, 10:25 AM

Now I know I've lived in Washington DC too long. I thought, Oh she must be going to attend some protest...the law enforcement trainging never even occurred to me...
#9 of 14 Old 04-20-2010, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to follow up to say everything went well. Used the saran wrap tip and made a multi layer halter top under my nursing tank and over it. They sprayed me across the forehead instead of the vertical line from belly up to eye like they did on everyone else. Hurt really bad and reactivated for the next 18 hours upon contact with water, but my baby did not suffer any ill effects from it. I was super careful around him and made sure to limit his mouth contact to my face! So if you ever are going to get sprayed while breastfeeding it is ok and can work. Also anyone needing to know or need tips about wearing a bulletproof vest while pumping at work can ask me ?'s as I have been doing it now for 4 months successfully.
#10 of 14 Old 04-20-2010, 02:09 AM

sup

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#11 of 14 Old 04-20-2010, 02:41 AM

Thanks for checking back in with the info! Glad it went well (at least for the breastfeeding part! ouch for the spray!)

#12 of 14 Old 04-20-2010, 02:51 AM

Lol--I thought of a protest too! Law enforcement makes sense.

Glad to hear it went "well"..at least no transfer to baby.
#13 of 14 Old 04-20-2010, 03:19 PM

ouch sounds painful!

Jen, mom of Alisha (09/18/04) and Luke (02/18/09)
Owner of Down to Earth Baby Gear http://www.cloth-diaper.ca Cloth diapers, baby carriers and More!
#14 of 14 Old 04-20-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxcat View Post
Just wanted to follow up to say everything went well. Used the saran wrap tip and made a multi layer halter top under my nursing tank and over it. They sprayed me across the forehead instead of the vertical line from belly up to eye like they did on everyone else. Hurt really bad and reactivated for the next 18 hours upon contact with water, but my baby did not suffer any ill effects from it. I was super careful around him and made sure to limit his mouth contact to my face! So if you ever are going to get sprayed while breastfeeding it is ok and can work. Also anyone needing to know or need tips about wearing a bulletproof vest while pumping at work can ask me ?'s as I have been doing it now for 4 months successfully.
The things we learn on MDC....

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page