Mothering Forum banner

Will getting pepper sprayed be a problem?

8K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  sparklett 
#1 ·
If I am going to get sprayed with pepper spray (Oleoresin capsicum) will that transfer to my 6 month old who I am still breastfeeding? I pump at work (3 x a day) and will probably pump during this 1 day training class, but I am wondering if the stuff will transfer into my breastmilk? I am also afraid I won't be able to get most of the stuff off my skin even after a shower? Maybe I can wear layers to prevent much skin contact? Just curious if anyone has experience with this or thoughts. I plan to also ask my child's DR but they don't seem all that hip on the latest breastfeeding info.

#4 ·
Hehehe, you must be training to be a cop or something. I have fond memories of the police science kids getting pepper sprayed in college - VERY funny to watch

Ahem. Anyways. I can't imagine how it'd transfer to your bm, I mean, its not like your ingesting it!! And besides... afaik its edible anyhow - thats the beauty of it! Good luck!!

#5 ·
Totally weird suggestion, but...maybe put plastic wrap over your boobs under your bra? That way you could even change clothes entirely and they'd still be safe.

#6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I might do the plastic wrap just to be extra sure and take gloves to use when I handle the pump just to be super safe. I just hope the stuff getting into my eye membranes won't seep into my breast milk, even yhough I am pretty sure it will be fine. I'm just worried because I am already off dairy due to his sensitivity!

#9 ·
Just wanted to follow up to say everything went well. Used the saran wrap tip and made a multi layer halter top under my nursing tank and over it. They sprayed me across the forehead instead of the vertical line from belly up to eye like they did on everyone else. Hurt really bad and reactivated for the next 18 hours upon contact with water, but my baby did not suffer any ill effects from it. I was super careful around him and made sure to limit his mouth contact to my face! So if you ever are going to get sprayed while breastfeeding it is ok and can work. Also anyone needing to know or need tips about wearing a bulletproof vest while pumping at work can ask me ?'s as I have been doing it now for 4 months successfully.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxcat View Post
Just wanted to follow up to say everything went well. Used the saran wrap tip and made a multi layer halter top under my nursing tank and over it. They sprayed me across the forehead instead of the vertical line from belly up to eye like they did on everyone else. Hurt really bad and reactivated for the next 18 hours upon contact with water, but my baby did not suffer any ill effects from it. I was super careful around him and made sure to limit his mouth contact to my face! So if you ever are going to get sprayed while breastfeeding it is ok and can work. Also anyone needing to know or need tips about wearing a bulletproof vest while pumping at work can ask me ?'s as I have been doing it now for 4 months successfully.
The things we learn on MDC....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.