Where are the breastfeeders? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 03-22-2010, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've niped a couple of times now, in my son's life. I really think that you couldnt tell that I wasn't just holding the baby. Maybe you just have to look very carefully?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#32 of 42 Old 03-22-2010, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post
I don't NIP. Well, I did once, but I don't like it. I think it is great others do, but it isn't for me.
What do you do instead?

I've seen this line of thought before. And, I'll admit, I rarely NIP. It's not that easy to get comfortable, I have to entertain my other child while nursing, and I get all stressed out. I much prefer going to the car, having one child in his carseat, reading a book/playing with a toy strapped in (he doesn't mind), and nursing there. But, sometimes...well, you gotta do what you gotta do, you know?
#33 of 42 Old 03-22-2010, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
What do you do instead?

I've seen this line of thought before. And, I'll admit, I rarely NIP. It's not that easy to get comfortable, I have to entertain my other child while nursing, and I get all stressed out. I much prefer going to the car, having one child in his carseat, reading a book/playing with a toy strapped in (he doesn't mind), and nursing there. But, sometimes...well, you gotta do what you gotta do, you know?
It depends on the situation. The other day, for example, we had an appointment, so I brought some expressed breast milk in a bottle just in case. Well, not five minutes into waiting he wanted to eat. I did tell him I would give him nursies when we got back into the room (he's too young to understand that), but I gave him some of the expressed BM. I would not have enjoyed NIP while there were loads of people around.

If we are in a situation where I can leave, I will just wait to get into the car and nurse him there. I like nursing in the car; it is always my preference, though it is not always possible. I do keep a manual pump in the car for any situations where I may need it.
#34 of 42 Old 03-23-2010, 07:32 AM

Not counting the bfing group I go to, I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen another mother breastfeeding here. And I am like you, I do it anywhere. I am discreet, you don't see anything. But I never see others.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#35 of 42 Old 03-23-2010, 11:25 PM

I think it's got a lot to do with the culture in your area. I live in an extremely breastfeeding friendly town and can't tell you how many people I see NIP on the average day.

On the other hand, if you drive about half an hour north of us, suddenly NO ONE nurses in public. Or babywears. Or anything remotely "crunchy." I've gotten some strange looks up there, but, eh, whatever.

We nurse wherever we need to. Since we spend about ten hours a day out of the house and this guy still likes to eat every two or three hours... we've nursed in public literally hundreds of times by now. I have huge boobs, there's no way for me to be particularly discreet. Hey, that's life!

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#36 of 42 Old 03-24-2010, 01:53 AM

i nip'ed my toddler (until 26.5 mos) and got serious negativity for it. oh. well. i nip wher i want, when i want and i only covered when we were in really confined, close spaces and only when dd4 was younger and bf was still a challenge for us.

i see lots of bottle feeding, but as i stated in another thread, i'd not seen nip until just a few weeks ago and believe me, i look for like minded sisters!!!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#37 of 42 Old 03-25-2010, 11:44 AM

I'm still nursing my 17 mo old on demand but honestly I don't think a lot of ppl "see" me doing it. I'm discreet. No covers, but I generally have a sweater on and no one notices me lift my shirt, many will comment that it's sweet that she's "sleeping" etc. We take her pretty much everywhere. If my older kids are at friends houses or with gramma we often end up taking Laney to dinner at "nice" places that normally you wouldn't see kids. But we do spend a lot of time doing kids things of course since we have kids to entertain.

Also when my babies are small they tend to nurse for a LONG time. So I try to arrange my day according to feedings... Otherwise if I just plop down to nurse every time the baby was hungry the older kids would be bouncing off the walls. So if we have to grocery shop I'll plan a stop home or at the park to nurse so they can play...

I have a friend that I met and developed a friendship with around NIP lol... She has a baby that is a few weeks younger than my third and we would go to breakfast together and sit and nurse our babies, chat, sip coffee... I doubt many men noticed what we were doing but the little grammas always seemed to notice and comment. Our waitresses got to know us and always thought it was so funny that the babies were hungry when we were... All in all I think that that relationship lengthened her breastfeeding her son by a LONG time. She was uncomfortable nip and told me that she only planned to nurse for a few months IF that... She ended up weaning just before his first birthday which honestly is a great accomplishment in the area we live

Crystal, wife to John, mama to Jordan 11, Callie 6 and Laney 1.5, expecting baby #4 in Aug 2010
#38 of 42 Old 03-26-2010, 01:40 PM

I went my whole life (32 yrs) never, ever seeing anyone NIP here, until last week. I saw an amazing woman at Noodles&Co. She was nursing a baby, eating her own food, helping her 2 toddlers eat, all at the same time. Wasnt wearing a nursing shirt even, just a t-shirt pulled up over her breast with the babe latched on. I didnt want to bother her family meal, but in my head I was thinking, YEAH!! Finally! I wish I could have at least given her a huge smile, but she was facing the other way.

I NIP all over the place. I get a ton of stares. Not hostile or upset ones, but definately shock, like, OMG is that woman nursing? I dont cover up, but I do try to dress so I can nurse with as little breast hanging out as possible.

I see a lot of bottle feeding here. I see a lot of propped up bottles for little ones strapped in carseats/strollers.

I have only seen one other woman besides me babywearing. We were both wearing stretch style wraps, and gave each other smiles/nods.

Wish I would see more of this, but hopefully future moms, and young girls see me (or the awesome Mama in Noodles&Co) and realize that NIP is not a big deal and ok.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#39 of 42 Old 03-26-2010, 08:12 PM

I still breastfeed my 2 year old in public, but it doesn't happen too often since he's often to busy chasing after his older brother. I don't care if people give me dirty looks or whatever. I do make sure to try to wear a nursing top or a shirt with a zip up jacket so I don't expose much, since he loves to flash me to anyone who will look, lol.

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
#40 of 42 Old 03-26-2010, 08:13 PM

i NIPed for the first time yesterday! i've nursed her at the midwives' clinic and in the changing room at a clothing store, but i went out with her by myself yesterday with the express intent of feeding her in public. is that weird? i figure i'll never be comfortable with it unless i practice first, and i probably won't want to practice when i'm with other people since who knows how long it'll take/how futzing around we'll have to do.

so i went to a bookstore and browsed for a while. unfortunately she sleeps for EVER in the wrap, so i actually took her out and woke her up a bit to see if she'd be interested. i found a chair off to one side and tried it out. she's only 5 weeks, so there was quite a bit of breast on display and a few false starts, but i managed to pull it off with no tears or awkward stared from anyone else.

but yeah, from how long we were out and how soundly she slept, i don't know how often i'm legitimately going to need to feed her in public. she would have easily slept throught our whole outing.
#41 of 42 Old 03-26-2010, 08:33 PM

I see babies NIP all the time, toddlers, too. At the library, in the park, etc. Maybe it's where I live, the people I tend to hang with or the places I go but it's definitely not an uncommon sight.

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#42 of 42 Old 03-26-2010, 08:35 PM

*waving* I'm out here!

I nurse my girlies everywhere. NYC Grand Central Station during rush hour, on airplanes sitting this.close to big beefy men who I know would be uncomfortable if they knew what I was doing, in restaurants here in my very non-progressive part of the country. But the truth is I think most people don't notice, even nursing moms, unless they are looking for it.

I've only seen ... well, let me think... ONE person BFing in public.

No, I take that back. I ALWAYS notice moms with those hooter-hider cover ups, but I don't notice the ones who aren't covering up. I am SURE they are out there!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page