Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybutterfly View Post
Hello!

Would appreciate it if you all would keep the UA in mind when posting.

There are other ways to get your point across about how ill-informed the doctor was without calling him names.

Thanks!

tinybutterfly
I edited of couse I have no intentions on violating any agreements. Its hard though the whole appointment was soo horrible I have like no respect for any part of his medical practice right now.

deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think plenty of great advice has already been given. I hope you get your sweet LO in to see someone soon, if for no other reason that to ease your mind and rule anything out.

I just thought I'd add that when DS was an infant (4-6 months, maybe?) and very gassy, my extremely pro-forumla feeding mother suggested that I try pumping some milk and putting it in one of those bottles meant to reduce air bubbles for him. I seriously couldn't hold back the laugher. I said, "Less air than my boobs?" and then cracked up. I couldn't help it. Even she admitted that, now that she thought about it, it might not be less air than my boobs, but definitely worth trying anyway. I said thank you very much, ignored her, and moved on. Some people... lol

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
Old 03-21-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
Wow

If my boobs are filled with air where is the valve so I can deflate them a couple cups?!
: no kidding! I need one of those... I love hilariously bad advice from peopel, it makes me smile.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cetan Luta View Post
I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but if baby is mostly constipated, giving a small amount of white grape juice with an eyedropper can dramatically loosen things up, without being as traumatic as some of the other solutions people sometimes suggest. Also, doing the same with weak catnip tea does wonders to relax tight little stomachs, expell gas, relax baby, releive colic (major or minor), especially when combined with some time relaxing in a vibrating bouncy seat. Catnip will also help a ton if you drink it yourself so baby gets it through the milk instead. DS2 had similar gas/colic/constipation problems in the early weeks and the catnip/bouncy seat combo worked wonders. You may also want someone check baby's latch, as they can get less milk and more air if latched incorrectly. HTH Best of luck to you Momma.
you would give juice or tea to a newborn? we just lubed up her bottom a teeny bit...

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Old 03-22-2010, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for removing the namecalling, ladies. And sorry for the modpile.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 03-22-2010, 02:00 PM

I've never mod-piled before...I thought it was fun!

( just kidding!)

And yea, thanks for the edits!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 03-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermom View Post
I edited of couse I have no intentions on violating any agreements. Its hard though the whole appointment was soo horrible I have like no respect for any part of his medical practice right now.

deanna

I understand. I got some really bad advice off and on when my boys were little. It's sad that 20+ years later, there are still doctors giving out awful advice.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 03-22-2010, 05:33 PM

My DD had meconium stools for several days after we brought her home. Our Ped that met us at the hospital told us to use rectal stimulation to help with bm. In the hospital we had two nurses do this and show us how to do this. It did not help the first time, the second time, her bm started while rectal stimulation was going on. We used the rectal thermometer at home with lubrication. It was suprising to us how long it took for the meconium to finally finally pass and her stools started to be runny.

I would be concerned about any possible bowel obstruction that might be interfering.

Since then, we do abdominal massage, very gently, moving up baby's right side, across, then down left side where the large colon is. That has also helped our DD.

About insurance: sometimes it is worth the extra $$ to go with a doctor that is out of network that you like and respect rather than going to a doctor that costs a bit less but does you no good.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

Old 03-22-2010, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

I'm doign the rectal stimulations and it helps but shes can only produce a BM with it not on her own.. Today I finially got her removed from medicare so I'm goign to call the PEd I wanted and see if I can get her in. The good news though shes been a TON less gassy and fussy (from all that breast air ) lately the biggest change is I notice I'm not majorly leaking anymore my supply is fine but I think its starting to regulate so the flow is getting more managable for her and I think thats helping. I'm also doing breast compressions in hopes she is getting better hind milk.
She is 2 weeks today...

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 03-22-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post
Who knew that boobs were filled with air!
I wish they were! After almost 4 years of nursing mine could use a little air... haha.
Even if you don't go back please do send him some info or something. It won't affect your baby but might help another one if he stops giving this crazy advice.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
Again, NOT NORMAL FOR A NEWBORN. It is important to give relevant information. It is not normal for a newborn to go days between bowel movements. At all.
No need for the virtual shouting, it's like been at school again and be outed infront of the whole class for getting something wrong. I only was going by my past experience from my own lo's aswell as what i had been told by my hv that breastfed babies don't poo as often because breastmilk is full of goodness that sometimes the body uses it all all and as long as they have plenty of wet nappies and don't go over a week.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

Old 03-23-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyand3littlemonsters View Post
No need for the virtual shouting, it's like been at school again and be outed infront of the whole class for getting something wrong. I only was going by my past experience from my own lo's aswell as what i had been told by my hv that breastfed babies don't poo as often because breastmilk is full of goodness that sometimes the body uses it all all and as long as they have plenty of wet nappies and don't go over a week.
Exactly why I gave the info that I did.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
Old 03-23-2010, 02:53 AM

If she is going now, are the stools yellow yet?

Your milk is regulated down by 2 weeks? I didn't have that sort of thing until a number of months out. Is your baby fairly alert and getting bigger? Are you totally sure there is a lot of milk transferring? I don't want to be a scare-monger, but the no poop for so many days really concerns me.

Also, since it is taking rectal stimulation, would you consider trying pottying her instead? I know my DS was able to "hold it" as a newborn and would go when offered very very young. EC is pretty amazing.

Tjej
Old 03-23-2010, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post
If she is going now, are the stools yellow yet?

Your milk is regulated down by 2 weeks? I didn't have that sort of thing until a number of months out. Is your baby fairly alert and getting bigger? Are you totally sure there is a lot of milk transferring? I don't want to be a scare-monger, but the no poop for so many days really concerns me.

Also, since it is taking rectal stimulation, would you consider trying pottying her instead? I know my DS was able to "hold it" as a newborn and would go when offered very very young. EC is pretty amazing.

Tjej
is starting the regualte but it by no means is fully I dont expect that for quite a while yet. I just mean I'm not completely soaking through shirts ALL day long I still have leaks I still have active let downs its jsut better... My baby is quite alert especailly being still so small. shes isn't fussy or overly sleeping or listless.. She has almost fully regained her birth weight back..
Shes was 5.7 at birth
5.2 when discharged at 24 hours
4.13 at her one week
5.6 today (weighed at hosptial for genetic screening)
When shes nures she is clearly sucking and swallowing I see milk in her mouth she is soaking through diapers
I'm also pumping once a day and i get a good amount with that as well. (2-3 ounces in around 10-20 mintues)..
She is just not producing BM on her own right now
I'm painfully aware of what FTT looks like my first had it her tiny body begin to give up and shut down before someone took me seriously she'd sleep ALL day I couldn'y wake her to nurse and she was jsut liek an empty shell... TOTALLY diffrent this time... I still want to know why and get her some help if needed but she is healthy...
As for EC no desire I have personal reasons for it but at this time no I don't and likely won't...

Deanna

Old 03-23-2010, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

BTW this is from "Yesterday" but I actually recorded how lon and often shes BF that day jsut to see if anthing stood wout to anyone... This reflectes a preety typical BF day around here.... Lots of wet diapers ut no BM...

FWIW last night she fell asleep around 11:30pm...
3:34am woke nursed about 12 mintues (I was super sleepy so didin't really pay attention )
more sleep....
6:45am nursed right side about 9 mintues left about 18 (shes ussually avoids my left side) a bit fussy after but I gave her her drops swaddled and carried and she settled down fast..
7:50 right side about 10 mintues
some alert time some little naps...
9:37am right side 25 mintues left about 2 (just took the edge off LOL) the right again about 6 (and fell asleep at breast)
"napped"
11:28am right side nursed 12 mintues
12:15 right side another 15 mintues
...longest nap for today...
3:10pm left side around 20 mintues
(I did a quick grocery store run and left baby with DH she slept the entire time and I was back in around 20 mintues)
4:15pm (I offerd her the breast as I wanted to see if she'd take in a feeding before I started dinner) took right around 9 mintues left around 5

aother nap..
typical evening cluster feeding time...
6:16pm nursed right side 10 mintues
6:45 again right side around 18 mintues
7:00pm both sides around 20 mintues each
8:30 left side around 15 mintues
9:30 right side around 10 mintues
10pm pretty much same amount as above
I also pumped another 2.5 oz this evening..
I changed her rocked her to sleep and she'd been down since around 10:30pm... so well see how the night goes.

Today seemed pretty typical in her patterns naps ect.. Today shes had 14 seperate at the breast feedings and each time is nursing as little as 5 mintues up to around 20 or so on average... She cluster feeds in the evening and rarely goes over 2 hours not nursing... in the day.. Night time streatch seems to average between 4-6.5 hours....

deanna

Old 03-23-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
This is not the case for newborns:

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/L...Jan98p123.html
http://www.mother-2-mother.com/norma...ough-milk.html

It is not til several months old that it is normal for bf babies to not have bm every day. Especially in the first few weeks as bf is becoming established, it is important to note several bm daily. I would highly suggest a lc for a nb not having bm for several days.
Well I have had two kids out of six that did not have bms every day from the beginning. The first one is now 12 and it didn't seem to hurt him. The other child is four and she is just like he was.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:24 PM

Seeing your schedule reminds me of why it is called "baby bootcamp" .

I'm really glad to hear your DD is gaining well and looks good. I would still keep track of the BMs and go in about it, but yeah for a growing baby!

Tjej
Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
My daughter started skipping days after about 2 weeks. Lots before then though. Now when it comes its usually all in a 20 minute period. She's all beast fed.

User Tag List