mastitis or clogged duct - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2010, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak

how do u tell the difference? my right breast just became sore to the touch yesterday and is also sore when DS is lying on my chest. could this be a clogged duct or mastitis?

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you have a fever? Red streaks? If you do, I would guess mastitis. Otherwise, I'd just nurse extra on that side and use warm compresses. Mastitis can come on really fast though, so watch carefully. Good luck!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post
Do you have a fever? Red streaks? If you do, I would guess mastitis. Otherwise, I'd just nurse extra on that side and use warm compresses. Mastitis can come on really fast though, so watch carefully. Good luck!
No, no fever or red streaks, just tender. And I've been nursing extra long on that side all day today. How long should I give it to heal before I should be concerned?

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
Old 03-24-2010, 12:57 AM

Sounds like plugged ducts. WArm compresses and while nursing on that side direct chin to sore area. Here is an article from Dr Sears: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022100.asp

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
Old 03-24-2010, 01:35 AM

Keep doing the nursing on that side and warm compresses. You don't really need to be concerned until it gets infected but hopefully you can get the plug out before that is a concern.

Like a pp said mastitis can come on quick (and sometime get bad quickly) so just work it out as best as you can but if you get the red streaks, hot to the touch, or a fever you might want to go in.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Old 03-24-2010, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
No, no fever or red streaks, just tender. And I've been nursing extra long on that side all day today. How long should I give it to heal before I should be concerned?
I'd wait a few days unless you start having a fever, red streaks, or feeling like you have the flu (chills, upset stomach). Resting, eating well, and drinking a lot of water have helped me more often than not and I used to be the queen of mastitis. And, of course, keep nursing on that side first and using warm compresses. good luck!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:51 PM

castor oil compresses with moist heat will really help break up the clog. Stay on op of it! It can go bad fast!

High-tech Hippie Mama to Dd1 (9/22/06), Dd2 (2/25/10) and Ds (05/27/2013). I eat Clean, cloth diaper, and spend way too much time online.

User Tag List