Introducing cow's milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2010, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MY DD just turned 11 months. I work full time out of the house and she goes to daycare. I have been pumping since she started daycare (at 3 months). It's been a struggle and I barely stay ahead of her needs. She nurses on demand when we are together and still nurses several times through the night (which is fine with me). I am hoping to be able to stop pumping when she turns 1. It is so hard with my schedule at work. I plan to continue nursing her when we are together for... I don't know, no specific end date in mind. The problem is, I have no freezer stash and what I am able to pump is rapidly decreasing. I have been sick this last week and my supply is just dwindling as a result. The last few days I have only been able to pump 6 ounces total each day. Three pumping sessions a day. I don't want to give her formula if I can help it. Is it too early to supplement my pumped breastmilk with a little cow's milk (organic or I do have access to organic, raw cow's milk)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 02:38 PM

I would try to avoid straight cow's milk. It won't necessarily hurt her but cow's milk is pretty hard on the digestive system. I continued with my first on formula even past one year because it's easier on the system than straight cow's milk.

What about just yogurt once or twice a day and other food the rest of the time you're away. Yogurt is much easier on the system than cow's milk and at 11 months, your baby is getting more than enough of your milk if she is nursing every morning and evening and during the night.

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
Old 03-26-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

She does love yogurt, so that's a good option.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:55 PM

Then I would just go with yogurt. It's the equivalent of milk but milder because it's in a fermented state, plus it's got all that good bacteria. I would give it to her as a snack along with some fruit between breakfast and lunch and as another snack between lunch and supper.

Actually, if she is still nursing at night, you probably only need to give her one serving on yogurt.

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif

User Tag List