reccomend a bottle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-29-2010, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is 3weeks today shes is exclusivly breastfeed and almost always at the tap but there are times (medical reasons) where I really need her to take a bottle were still having trouble finding the right one though..
I tried syringe and eye drop feedings but that was a huge failure and made the worst dent in our nursing incidently..
THen we tried the playtex drop ins since thats what I used with my first when she took a bottle but she ended up really fussy and gassy and just wouldn't latch on well.
next the nuby silicone shes latched on great and at first we thought YEA!! BUt the flow was too much and like 5 mintues after no matter how often we tried to burb her ect she'd spit up every thing shes drank
tried advent was instantly reminded why we HATED it with our first...
Our last attempt was the playtex airvent wide mouth the flow was great she latched to bottle nicely no gas milk stayed down it seemed like a winner but nw when shes goes back to the breast after a bottle (currently getting 2oz a day of pumped milk mostly as we try to find what works) her latch on me is really lazy it gets better after I help her shes like remembers but I think the latch on the bottle is still confusing her...
So please reccomend something....
I've eyed the breastflow but the reviews seem so mixed...
Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#2 of 20 Old 03-29-2010, 12:07 PM

we use the breastflow bottles. my dh says the babe doesn't like them, but as long as she eats and likes the bottles less than the boobs, it's working fine.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#3 of 20 Old 03-29-2010, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
breastflow for us too. They are about 5 dollars a bottle, though so we only bought 2 and rotated.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#4 of 20 Old 03-29-2010, 02:00 PM

we use breastflow with great results. No hesitation between taking either, but I do feel he prefers the boob.

sleepytime.gif
#5 of 20 Old 03-29-2010, 02:03 PM

Have you heard of the adiri breastbottle nurser? We have one, which DD loved but XP hated so she went onto Avents. I still have mine, #2 will be getting it if i ever need them to take a bottle.
#6 of 20 Old 03-29-2010, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

I had the adiri with my oldest and shes HATED it I did too I'd rather find something I might be able to get locally before I attempt those again.. We also disliked the advents with both the flow was way to fast and my baby just spilled everything and chocked..
I think I'll give the breastflow a change then the cost isn't a big deal I don't need a ton of bottles 2 will work fine.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#7 of 20 Old 03-29-2010, 09:46 PM

I have used Breastflow bottles with success.

(My DS has also used Playtex Drop-Ins with success.)
#8 of 20 Old 03-30-2010, 01:56 PM

Oh... and if she liked the nuby-- the standard nuby bottles (narrow neck) should fit the evenflo comfi nipples (these were the slowest flow standard bottles, wide based nipples that we could find).

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#9 of 20 Old 03-31-2010, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

I tried a breastflow today I think its now between that and the playtex drop ins I realized when I tried it earlier I used a Variable Flow nipple (not sure where I got that??) and we tried again with a slow flow natural latch and did really well...
But tried the breastflow today and I really liked that one as well.. I really liekd how her latch looked both at the bottle and once back on the breast dirrectly..My DH however though it leaked a bit but I showed him that she needs to open wide and latch on well and that requirment was a good thing cause thats what she has to do with the breast a lazy latch on the bottle wont help me...

Deanna

#10 of 20 Old 03-31-2010, 04:24 PM

Another vote for breastflow. We tried several different kinds. DD would take Adiri, but she didn't like them. We have had no latch problems with breastflow--DD has used them since she was 3 months and is now 9 months. We never "moved up" to a faster flow bottle--she still uses slow flow.

I get them here, which is a bit less than $5 per bottle:

http://www.babyearth.com/the-first-y...-5oz--3pk.html
#11 of 20 Old 03-31-2010, 05:54 PM

we never found a bottle that didn't interfere with our latch in the early days.

If your situation allows, I would try an SNS. If I had my situation to do over again that's what I would try. From the way you worded your post, it sounds like your situation is such that an SNS wouldn't work for you.

Best of luck!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#12 of 20 Old 04-01-2010, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

thanks all an update We are having fablous results with the breastflow bottle! So I'm really glad I gave that one a change and shes going seemingless from the bottle back to breast when it happens.
My milk is actually fine actually its great no supply issues (which is super great cause I did with my first) the problem is I'm type 1 diabetic and nursing is dropping my blood sugar a lot. Thats not a biggie normally actually its a nice thing however when shes does eaither long marathon cluster feedings or those cluster growth spurts feedings my body can't keep up and I'm falling to dangerous lows faster than I can injest juice gloucose ect to raise it... Whike I obviously still want her to nurse and I realize those grouped feeding are healthy normal and her way of signaling by body what shes needs I do also for the sake of countinuing success for both of us have to know when I might need a bit of help. We were hoping to hold off a bit but things changed.. She now recieved one 3oz bottle of pumped milk in the evening to help with MY medical needs. I pump shortly after for some reason I can pump with out the massive drop...

Deanna

#13 of 20 Old 04-01-2010, 11:56 PM

Great to hear that the breastflows are working for you!

It's awesome you are still breastfeeding with the blood sugar issues-- I'm sure it takes dedication to keep track of pumping, and the glucose levels ect.

#14 of 20 Old 04-02-2010, 12:04 AM

Also I tried the Playtex drop ins - some success, bit of confusion really.

But then I tried the NUK brand and she latched right on to those! Didn't have access to the Breastflow otherwise I would have bought those - but the NUK seem to be alright as well

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...
#15 of 20 Old 04-02-2010, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Also I tried the Playtex drop ins - some success, bit of confusion really.

But then I tried the NUK brand and she latched right on to those! Didn't have access to the Breastflow otherwise I would have bought those - but the NUK seem to be alright as well
The good old fashion gerber nuks were what we first used with my oldest when shes started to take a bottle we eventually went to the playtex disposables when she was oldeer but nuks were totaly what worked at first.. This one not so much but the BF are doing great!

Deanna

#16 of 20 Old 04-05-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermom View Post
I'm type 1 diabetic and nursing is dropping my blood sugar a lot.
My sugar has been steady as a rock since I started nursing. I have heard this is common. Hopefully once your body gets used to being not pregnant and making milk your sugar will level out!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#17 of 20 Old 04-05-2010, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
My sugar has been steady as a rock since I started nursing. I have heard this is common. Hopefully once your body gets used to being not pregnant and making milk your sugar will level out!
Is been slowly getting better I even recently upped my 3am rate on my pump because I was starting to go a wee bit up in the AM! (LOL never thought I'm be glad to increase a rate) The one bottle is actually working out great though and my supply is still super strong and DD is getting lots fresh from the tap

Deanna

#18 of 20 Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 PM

I'm glad that you found a bottle that works. We also use the Breastflow bottles and DD has had no problem going back and forth between the breast and bottle.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#19 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 01:43 PM

I am glad something worked for you finally.
Since this topic came out I just wanted to share so other mamas that look for help can find it thru search.
We tried pretty much all of the bottles and nipples out there and what finally worked for us 100% was Dr. Browns premie nipples, these are way softer than other nipples and have slow flow, in addition Dr. Browns vented bottles (I was so glad to find they had glass version now). Getting this combinations stopped couple weeks of hell with my son. Luckily I was only working part time and I was able to come back home he was really hungry.
#20 of 20 Old 11-04-2012, 04:14 PM

Hi i had a question I live in yuma arizona and want to buy breastflow bottles but dont know wer to find dem I looked at walmart but didnt find any does anyone kno wer I could find dem please???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page