Best nursing bras for the well-endowed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-17-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for bra recs that will provide good support and look somewhat flattering under clothes. I've been BFing for over 7 years with almost no break and with a newborn, I anticipate several more years in a nursing bra and I'm just done with unsupportive nursing bras that leave me looking huge and saggy and that don't fit well. I've never had problems with clogged ducts and am leaning toward underwire nursing bras at this point. The lady who did my bra fitting told me that if the cups are the correct size (big enough), the wire shouldn't interfere with breast tissue and frankly I really need the support for these girls...I was measured at a 34G so I need something that comes in that size. I bought one of these and I like it so far, but I was also looking at the Bravado Allure online (haven't tried it on IRL) and am also wanting other suggestions if you've got 'em.

As a related aside, I can't really remember what is typical of size fluctuation post-partum. I'm not quite 4 weeks post-partum. I'm still 25 lbs. over my pre-preg weight. I don't want to invest big $$$ in nursing bras that won't fit in a month or two if my size is still likely to change a lot in the near future, but I need more than one bra and for all I can remember, I'll be this size for a year while I EBF (I generally intro other foods at around a year and BF around the clock until then).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 04-17-2010, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am very happy with my Anita underwire nursing bra. I purchased one through Amazon and it was $40. I could not be happier with this bra.

#3 of 11 Old 04-17-2010, 11:30 PM

I tried a bunch. You really can't beat the underwire Anita. In fact when I had to go get a new size after about 10 months the bra fitter just said, "and you'll obviously want another Anita since they are our best nursing bra". I didn't even buy them both at the same place. I'm currently a 38H. I need support.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3009952?...=searchresults

Mom to Kira March 2009
#4 of 11 Old 04-17-2010, 11:32 PM

I don't have a specific bra reccomenation, as I have been sticking with soft cup ones, but am considering switching to underwire - more options and cheaper! - I am a 42G, and have been that size since just before baby was born, and he is nearly 5 months old. I only gained 25 lbs and have pretty much lost that. Need to lose bunches more, but that's another topic!

do have a website recommendation: www.herroom.com you can see the bra with various necklines/shirt types, have a lot of reviews on the bras, and a great maternity selection. prices are decent also. Good luck!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#5 of 11 Old 04-18-2010, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm nowhere near your size, but I used to be a bra fitter at a nursing bra store, so I thought I'd chime in. I'll 3rd the Anita recommendation, they can be spendy, but they have the best fitting shape of any company I've seen. Medela carries a good underwire in that size range for less $ than Anita, but you may have trouble finding it, as they had switched to a new style and then within a month decided to switch back, so the manufacturing hasn't quite caught up yet.

As far as size fluctuation goes, if you think your band size is likely go down as you lose the baby weight, you could buy a smaller band size and get a set of extender hooks to wear for now. It won't help you if your cup changes, but it will save you from needing a new size if just the band changes.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#6 of 11 Old 04-19-2010, 06:06 AM

I tried nursing bras before and hated the way they shaped my breasts, the dealing with clips, and the straps falling down so I went back to my normal bras. I just use the strapless convertible Cacique bras from Lane Bryant. I pull the cup down and fold it in half towards the inside, then just nurse over the top of it. The bras keep their cup shape great even after folding down the cup hundreds of times, they are supportive with an underwire, and they are so sexy. I also love having no straps to deal with.

Kristin SS

Oh, BTW, the bras go on sale twice a year buy one get one free (coming up in May or June probably) and if you get on their mailing list, they send nice money off coupons in the mail you can sometimes use on top of the BOGO sale.
#7 of 11 Old 04-19-2010, 12:26 PM

There just isn't much out there to chose from. I did find two Anita bras on ebay (brand new) for about half price. I also really like the discontinued Medela underwire bras (the way I understand the manufacturing thing is that they had some kind of recall on their new styles. I don't think they're going back to their old styles, but they also haven't gotten anything new out to the market. The old ones, if you can find them, are more supportive and comfortable than my Anita bras but the nursing flaps are harder to open. If you can find any of the Medela bras in stock anywhere and like how they fit you, don't wait to buy them because you might never find them again.
#8 of 11 Old 04-26-2010, 11:50 PM

I'm a very similar size to you, and I've lived in my Anita bras for the past year, the underwire styles. I especially liked the lacy one.

BUT my nursing pads and nipples always showed through, and when it was time to buy a new one, I got the Bravado Allure and I LOVE IT! It is very comfy, and the cups are very thick so I have no nipples showing up at bad moments. I highly recommend it.

Also, with my first, I tried to guess what my size would be so I could buy my bras early, and it ended badly. This time around, I waited until 2-3 weeks after my baby was born and then measured and bought them. I think I still had to exchange for the right size, but with a good online shop they will ship quickly. Measurements are just estimates, I think.

So I recommend wearing a sleep bra like the Majamas one for the first few weeks.

Good luck!

Jen
#9 of 11 Old 04-27-2010, 12:11 AM

36 G here...
After the first 4 months I just wore a really supportive underwire (non-nursing) and hiked it up over the boob to nurse. Otherwise I looked AWFUL and felt frumpy,,, Do I recommend it? Well, I don't want to be responsible for nursing problems but 5 years later, no issues !!
#10 of 11 Old 04-28-2010, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasneedlove View Post
I'm a very similar size to you, and I've lived in my Anita bras for the past year, the underwire styles. I especially liked the lacy one.

BUT my nursing pads and nipples always showed through, and when it was time to buy a new one, I got the Bravado Allure and I LOVE IT! It is very comfy, and the cups are very thick so I have no nipples showing up at bad moments. I highly recommend it.

Jen
Since you've worn both the Anita G and the Bravado Allure, can you tell me how the sizes between the two compared? If I'm 34G in Anita G does it seem like the Bravado Allure in the 34 F/G would be a safe bet? I ask because I doubt that I'll be able to find it to try on IRL.

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
#11 of 11 Old 04-28-2010, 01:59 PM

I too feel your pain. I'm a 36G/H post pregancy and I'm super happy with this Anita underwire bra http://breakoutbras.stores.yahoo.net/seminuunbyan.html

I even ordered a 2nd one. It's not cotton, it's microfiber, but I haven't been lucky enough to find a cotton one that fits as well as this one.

MC #1: 12/05; MC #2: 1/09 Mama to our first that arrived 11/2/09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page