Breast Pumps - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-20-2010, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SIL gave me a Medela Pump in Style that has been through a few people and yesterday when I went to hook up my new tubing to it the part that connects the tubing to the actual pump snapped (the plastic was just too old). So now I have no breast pump as it isn't a part that can be replaced.

Anyways I don't plan on having to pump that often (if at all) as I will be home full time. But I would still like to have a pump for a night out or emergency. The Pump in Style is like $280 and although I have read that it is one of the best I don't think it will be worth it considering I won't be using it alot. Anyways what kind of breast pump would you recommend? Do you think a manual pump would be okay? They are the most economical option. Should I just wait until after he comes and decide then if I even need a pump or have one on hand just incase?

Here are some of the options I am looking at-

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Playtex-Em...-Free/11091118

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lansinoh-L...ystem/10924275

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lansinoh-M...t-Pump/7755682

http://www.target.com/Medela-Harmony...reastpump&qid=

This is my first baby by the way.

Mama to one perfect baby boy
#2 of 11 Old 04-20-2010, 11:32 AM

I have a Pump in Style, but needed to pump sooner than I thought with my newborn, and didn't have the tubing ordered. I purchased a Medela Harmony, and I was really really impressed with it. I don't need to pump a lot either, so I think its going to be my go to pump and I'm going to loan my PIS to a friend who will be working when she has her little one. I really recommend it!

I should note though, I have no issues with supply -- in fact, I have oversupply, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Mommy to two super cute kids.
#3 of 11 Old 04-20-2010, 07:57 PM

Check eBay for a deal on a Pump in Style. I bought one brand new (sealed up) for around $120. Best deal ever.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#4 of 11 Old 04-20-2010, 08:33 PM

I would wait if I were you. After my babies were exclusively breastfeeding (they were both preemies, so I had to start pumping with a hospital-grade pump), I've only pumped a handful of times, and never really had to. I already had a PISA with DS, but I would have been fine with a hand pump or even hand-expressing for DD.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 11 Old 04-22-2010, 02:36 PM

Having a GOOD hand pump on hand is never a bad idea. Avent and Ameda have had good reviews. I would wait on the electric pump until after baby is born, but set some money aside if a purchase is necessary and have the name and phone number where you can rent a hospital grade pump if necessary.

Personally, I like to order my pump and parts from an online store dealing only with breast pumps and accessories. I usually found better prices.
#6 of 11 Old 04-22-2010, 04:09 PM

Yeah, I would buy a good hand pump (I like my Avent Isis a lot) ahead of time and get an electric later if you find yourself pumping a lot.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#7 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 02:27 AM

I really liked my Lansinoh hand pump for when I just had DS and was learning to pump. I use a freestyle now and love it, but I'll be WOH in a couple of months, so I'll need it.

sleepytime.gif
#8 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 10:37 AM

as they are the most economical, try a hand pump first. for some, this works really well, others don't get as good results with a hand pump vs. the electric sort. I also second ebay! got a fab deal on my PIS!

granted I WOH 2 days a week, so I need a good pump. and I pumped almost right away, it really helped with engorgement (I was so engorged my nipples went flat and I needed to draw them out)

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#9 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 10:40 AM

I know I am a little late here, but that Lansinoh pump is the best idea of what you listed. It is a clone of the Ameda Purely Yours, which is a GREAT pump (I prefer it to the PIS,) and is compatible w/Ameda parts.

With Medela you are paying for advertising.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#10 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 11:46 AM

While I love my electric and use it all the time (I WOH) my Avent Manual is the best! I used it the first number of weeks I was back to work until I learned I could bring my electric to work (I work in a prison and thought it might be considered a security risk.) I'd definitely skip the electric and go for a portable manual!

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#11 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 03:34 PM

I never got more than 1/4oz from a so-called good hand pump. I can never know if I'd have had better luck with a Pump in Style. Anyway, maybe you don't even need a pump, but if you do, I think it's worth it to go for the best.
There is a Medela trade-in program so you can send back your broken one and get credit off the next purchase, if you wanted to look into that.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page