Mothering Forum banner

Duration question...

479 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Llyra 
#1 ·
My EBF 11 week old DS has suddenly (over the last week), significantly reduced the amount of time he spends eating. He still nurses the same number of times per day, he just spends a lot less time doing so - about half the amount of time he was previously (I keep track... because I am anal).

I wouldn't be too worried about this because I know babies get more efficient as they get older, except that my poor boobs are so full! I am not really convinced that he is eating the same amount as he was. Plus, I have had oversupply, and I am not sure that he is getting enough hindmilk in his short feeding sessions. He is a frequent pooper with one good yellow poop per day and the rest being varying shades of green (Is this even a big deal? I read conflicting information about it). He also has several wet diapers a day.

Other than this, he seems totally normal. Am I worrying about this unnecessarily?

ETA: I don't have him on a routine/schedule or anything like that, I just keep track of when and how long he eats. I am not trying to modify it in any way, I just think it is cool to keep track of these things and see what happens over time.

#2 ·
seems pretty typical to me. If you are worried about hindmilk, can you pump or hand express first? If he seems content and continues to gain, I wouldn't be too concerned.

#3 ·
How has his weight gain been?

Because if he's gaining weight at a normal rate, then he's doing fine. It's very normal and typical for kids as they approach three months or so, to suddenly spend a lot less time nursing. They do get more efficient, and they also start to be more interested in checking the world out. Plus, the growth does start to slow a bit once they're past the initial growth spurts. It may only be a temporary thing-- it's common at four or six months for babies to suddenly return to the marathon nursing again.

I wouldn't worry about it. I would maybe, if you're feeling very full, try offering more often. Sometimes as they start to take notice of the world, they can start to get distracted and forget to "ask" for the milk, but you can offer, and they'll immediately be eager. The worst that can happen is he turns you down
!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.