How long at room temp? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just looked in my purse and realized the milk I pumped at work is still in there It sat at room temperature for about 13 hours. Do I need to throw it away? I have to try so hard to throw it away - that would be a bummer.

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#2 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 03:16 PM

I think that BM can be at room temp for 24 hours. I left BM in the car overnight with temps around 50 and DS took it just fine the next day. It smelled ok so I figured it was fine. Smell it, and if its ok, I say your good to go. And I know what you mean about throwing away milk. It makes me want to cry everytime.

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

#3 of 11 Old 04-25-2010, 01:20 AM

"Freshly expressed breastmilk may be kept at room temperature for up to 10 hours". You can store it for up to 24 hours if the temps are slightly below room temp. (such as in a cooler w/ icepacks). I would throw it away. Now if you check on "Medela" .. they only suggest keeping freshly expressed milk at room temp for 4-6 hours.
#4 of 11 Old 04-25-2010, 07:24 AM

My midwives say only 15 minutes!!

First time mama to sweet *~....:: Eden Magnolia::....~*  4/3/10
#5 of 11 Old 04-26-2010, 09:18 AM

It's past the typical recommendation, but if it were me I would smell it and taste it and if it was ok, I would still give it.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#6 of 11 Old 04-26-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by october View Post
My midwives say only 15 minutes!!
What? No, no, no .

OP, how old is your baby? If over 6 months, I'd probably still use it if it smells and tastes ok.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#7 of 11 Old 04-26-2010, 11:31 PM

24 hours in a purse? NO WAY!

It depends on the temperature...from kellymom.org
Warm room 79°F / 25°C 4-6 hours
Room temperature 66-72°F / 19-22°C 10 hours
Insulated cooler / icepacks 60°F / 15°C 24 hours

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#8 of 11 Old 04-27-2010, 04:26 PM

24 hr in a purse at 50°F would be fine according to kellymom.com.

13 hours at room temp when kellymom.com suggests 10 hours? Like I said upthread, if it smelled and tasted ok and the baby was older than 6 months, I wouldn't bat an eye but I'm not suggesting that anyone else do as I do, just outlining my personal comfort level.

#9 of 11 Old 04-27-2010, 05:39 PM

What?! Kellymom.com says that breast milk should be used for up 10 hours at room temperature, not 24 hours. A purse is room temperature.
The medical lactation books that I read are even calling for a shorter amount of storage and are written by experts that specialize in milk banking, etc. They say room temperature for 4 hours or less.

I am quote evidence-based material. I recognize that everyone has different methods of maintaining their personal supply and has a right to share their personal experiences.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#10 of 11 Old 04-27-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodygumdrops View Post
What?! Kellymom.com says that breast milk should be used for up 10 hours at room temperature, not 24 hours. A purse is room temperature.
The medical lactation books that I read are even calling for a shorter amount of storage and are written by experts that specialize in milk banking, etc. They say room temperature for 4 hours or less.

I am quote evidence-based material. I recognize that everyone has different methods of maintaining their personal supply and has a right to share their personal experiences.
The OP's milk was at room temp in her purse for 13 hours. It was another poster who mentioned milk left for 24 hours but she specified that it was in her car at temps of ~50F. So, according to what you posted, 24 hours at 50F is just fine .

I'm not disputing what you're saying, I'm merely clarifying and stating that for me, if my baby were older than 6 months and the milk smelled and tasted fine, I would use it at 3 hours outside of that 10 hour at rm temp window, but again, that is me.

#11 of 11 Old 04-27-2010, 06:39 PM

Oh I'm confusing myself

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page