How long at room temp? - Mothering Forums
Breastfeeding > How long at room temp?
springbride's Avatar springbride 12:38 PM 04-23-2010
I just looked in my purse and realized the milk I pumped at work is still in there It sat at room temperature for about 13 hours. Do I need to throw it away? I have to try so hard to throw it away - that would be a bummer.

AndtheStars's Avatar AndtheStars 04:16 PM 04-23-2010
I think that BM can be at room temp for 24 hours. I left BM in the car overnight with temps around 50 and DS took it just fine the next day. It smelled ok so I figured it was fine. Smell it, and if its ok, I say your good to go. And I know what you mean about throwing away milk. It makes me want to cry everytime.
ClaudiaTh's Avatar ClaudiaTh 02:20 AM 04-25-2010
"Freshly expressed breastmilk may be kept at room temperature for up to 10 hours". You can store it for up to 24 hours if the temps are slightly below room temp. (such as in a cooler w/ icepacks). I would throw it away. Now if you check on "Medela" .. they only suggest keeping freshly expressed milk at room temp for 4-6 hours.
october's Avatar october 08:24 AM 04-25-2010
My midwives say only 15 minutes!!
Quinalla's Avatar Quinalla 10:18 AM 04-26-2010
It's past the typical recommendation, but if it were me I would smell it and taste it and if it was ok, I would still give it.
pumpkinhead's Avatar pumpkinhead 07:33 PM 04-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by october View Post
My midwives say only 15 minutes!!
What? No, no, no .

OP, how old is your baby? If over 6 months, I'd probably still use it if it smells and tastes ok.
goodygumdrops's Avatar goodygumdrops 12:31 AM 04-27-2010
24 hours in a purse? NO WAY!

It depends on the temperature...from kellymom.org
Warm room 79°F / 25°C 4-6 hours
Room temperature 66-72°F / 19-22°C 10 hours
Insulated cooler / icepacks 60°F / 15°C 24 hours
pumpkinhead's Avatar pumpkinhead 05:26 PM 04-27-2010
24 hr in a purse at 50°F would be fine according to kellymom.com.

13 hours at room temp when kellymom.com suggests 10 hours? Like I said upthread, if it smelled and tasted ok and the baby was older than 6 months, I wouldn't bat an eye but I'm not suggesting that anyone else do as I do, just outlining my personal comfort level.
goodygumdrops's Avatar goodygumdrops 06:39 PM 04-27-2010
What?! Kellymom.com says that breast milk should be used for up 10 hours at room temperature, not 24 hours. A purse is room temperature.
The medical lactation books that I read are even calling for a shorter amount of storage and are written by experts that specialize in milk banking, etc. They say room temperature for 4 hours or less.

I am quote evidence-based material. I recognize that everyone has different methods of maintaining their personal supply and has a right to share their personal experiences.
pumpkinhead's Avatar pumpkinhead 07:32 PM 04-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodygumdrops View Post
What?! Kellymom.com says that breast milk should be used for up 10 hours at room temperature, not 24 hours. A purse is room temperature.
The medical lactation books that I read are even calling for a shorter amount of storage and are written by experts that specialize in milk banking, etc. They say room temperature for 4 hours or less.

I am quote evidence-based material. I recognize that everyone has different methods of maintaining their personal supply and has a right to share their personal experiences.
The OP's milk was at room temp in her purse for 13 hours. It was another poster who mentioned milk left for 24 hours but she specified that it was in her car at temps of ~50F. So, according to what you posted, 24 hours at 50F is just fine .

I'm not disputing what you're saying, I'm merely clarifying and stating that for me, if my baby were older than 6 months and the milk smelled and tasted fine, I would use it at 3 hours outside of that 10 hour at rm temp window, but again, that is me.
goodygumdrops's Avatar goodygumdrops 07:39 PM 04-27-2010
Oh I'm confusing myself
Up