Should I be worried? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-24-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am concerned that my baby isn't getting enough milk. He's 10.5 months old and he hasn't been gaining the 2oz/week that kellymom and other sights recommend. He's happy and alert and crawling . . . I do offer solids but he usually refuses . . . here's his weight history for the past few check ups:

4 mo - 16lb3oz
6mo - 18lb4oz
9mo- 19lb7oz

He was weighed the other day and he was just under 20lbs, so his weight gain really seems to have dropped off. I don't feel that strong letdown anymore and I notice that his "drinking" time at the breast during a letdown is much shorter than it used to be. Also, stools are no longer daily and diapers are not as heavy.

I don't get it, I nurse on demand and I co-sleep. I try to do the "dream feed" thing to add a good relaxed feeding and sometimes he'll go for it, but many times he just wants to sleep!

If breastfeeding is a demand and supply deal then why do so many moms have trouble supplying even if their babies are demanding? My baby never seems unhappy at the breast, but I don't know if his laid back attitude toward life is allowing him to be satisfied with less than what he needs.

What do you think? My ped wants me to start supplementing, she's not all that breastfeeding friendly. I know that if I do that, I'm just introducing a problem rather than solving one so I blow her off. Should I try some herbs?

I guess I wonder if I really have an issue or not. The loss of letdown really concerns me since it is normal for me to feel it.

Worried mama here . . . thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 04-24-2010, 08:09 PM

I don't think I would worry... My DS followed the same kind of trend. When he was born, he weighed just over 8 lbs. By the time he was 4 months old, he was up to 19 lbs. Now, at just over 7 months, he's 21 lbs... But he was 20 lbs at 5 months, and 21 lbs at 6 months. His weight gain has definitely slowed down... But he's also much much more active!

If he seems satisfied at the breast, I think he's nursing okay. He's probably a much more effecient nurser now and doesn't need to nurse as long as before. Or maybe he's just so busy crawling that he has no time to nurse! But he will nurse if he needs to, and let you know if he's still hungry.

As for the let down, maybe you're just so used to it?

I do think that you should go by how your baby is acting, but if you are really concerned, try and find a more breast feeding friendly doc in the area.
#3 of 8 Old 04-24-2010, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantads View Post
I am concerned that my baby isn't getting enough milk. He's 10.5 months old and he hasn't been gaining the 2oz/week that kellymom and other sights recommend. He's happy and alert and crawling thats a good sign. . . I do offer solids but he usually refuses totally normal!. . . here's his weight history for the past few check ups:

4 mo - 16lb3oz
6mo - 18lb4oz
9mo- 19lb7oz

He was weighed the other day and he was just under 20lbs, so his weight gain really seems to have dropped off. again, totally normal! crawling burns lots of calories I don't feel that strong letdown anymore many women dont by that age and I notice that his "drinking" time at the breast during a letdown is much shorter than it used to be. as babies get older the milk becomes concentrated. same nutrition in less liquid. so just because he nurses for a shorter time, he isnt necessarily getting fewer calories Also, stools are no longer daily and diapers are not as heavy.

I don't get it, I nurse on demand and I co-sleep. I try to do the "dream feed" thing to add a good relaxed feeding and sometimes he'll go for it, but many times he just wants to sleep! omg, let him sleep for goodness sake! LOL

If breastfeeding is a demand and supply deal then why do so many moms have trouble supplying even if their babies are demanding? My baby never seems unhappy at the breast, but I don't know if his laid back attitude toward life is allowing him to be satisfied with less than what he needs. it doesnt sound like theres anything wrong with your supply. if he was hungry, you'd know

What do you think? My ped wants me to start supplementing, she's not all that breastfeeding friendly. i think you answered your own question with that statement I know that if I do that, I'm just introducing a problem rather than solving one so I blow her off. Should I try some herbs? try a big can of stout and some oatmeal if you are worried

I guess I wonder if I really have an issue or not. The loss of letdown really concerns me since it is normal for me to feel it. its normal in the early days, but ALL of my irl friends have nursed and i dont know one of them, myself included, that still regularly felt let downs at 10 mos

Worried mama here . . . thanks!

Bring back the old MDC
#4 of 8 Old 04-24-2010, 11:11 PM

Pretty much everything blessedwithboys said. Also it may make you feel better to plot your DS's weight on the WHO's breastfed baby weight charts since what you describe is a very normal weight gain pattern for a BF baby. Frequently peds use a weight chart developed w/ ff infants that makes it look like a bf baby is really falling off the average when that may not be the case. I know that happened to me w/ my dd between 9 and 12 months.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#5 of 8 Old 04-24-2010, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I didn't even bother to weigh my kids after the first one. My second was really tiny for awhile, actually she is still pretty small for her age, about the same size as her sister that is 2 1/2 years younger. Not a problem.

I would be concerned if he was losing weight, looked lethargic or excessively sleepy, was showing signs of hunger/not getting full while eating, or was not peeing/pooping at all or very little.

It is totally normal for a bf'ed baby to go a few days between poops and right now he is probably getting to that active stage where he is working off the baby fat and that will probably reflect in his weight chart.

#6 of 8 Old 04-25-2010, 12:02 AM

Sounds totally normal to me too! I have also noticed that DD's weight gain plateaued shortly after 7 months old. She still BF's on demand including at least 2 feedings during the night and is hitting milestones at appropriate times. She is an every 3-4 day pooper and has been since around 2 months old. Once they become mobile, they burn a ton more calories and their weight gain slows down, but that does not mean that you need to supplement. Just listen to your mommy instinct.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#7 of 8 Old 04-25-2010, 01:24 AM

I wouldn't worry too much girl
#8 of 8 Old 04-26-2010, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the encouraging words, it helps me relax a bit . . .

Blessedwithboys - I have never heard that before about milk becoming more concentrated. How wonderful our bodies are!

Thank you . . .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page