Question about weaning from the pump - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-25-2010, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 10 months old and I totally plan on letting her wean herself.

That said, I currently work outside the home 4 days a week and I am pumping at work twice a day. I was just wondering what your experiences were when it came to deciding to wean yourself from pumping at work. I'm not sure how much longer I want to pump for as it is. I know that I am going to continue pumping until she is 12 months old, but not sure if I want to continue after that. I probably have a 4-5 week supply of frozen milk left in my freezer and I rarely have to use anything from it.

Any advice or insight would be great!

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#2 of 5 Old 04-25-2010, 11:51 AM

My experience:
I expressed at work until 12 months, then stopped. By then ds was on more complementary food during the day, and he had some sort of other milk and water as drinks during the day. We continued to breastfeed evenings, early mornings and weekends for another 2+ years.

Good luck with your decision!
#3 of 5 Old 04-26-2010, 01:40 PM

With dd I weaned from the pump when she was 10 months. I had enough milk to make sure she had bottles during the day while I was gone to work and she never had formula as an infant. I weaned her completely when she was 13 months old. I probably won't wean from the pump that early this time b/c my backup stash is much lower. I might also wait to wean my son until he is about 18 months old to try to get him through the winter with all the cold/flu bugs going around.

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#4 of 5 Old 04-27-2010, 09:14 AM

With DS1 I weaned from the pump at around 15 months. He continued to nurse until he was 26.5 months. I was so nervous about not pumping and afraid it would kill my supply, but it was totally fine.
#5 of 5 Old 04-27-2010, 01:57 PM

I have a similar work situation--4 days a week, pumping 2x a day. I'm in the process of weaning off the pump right now. Once DD turns 1 year (in about 2.5 weeks), I'll try dropping down to 1 pump. Yesterday, I forgot part of my pump, and wasn't able to pump all day, and it did not feel good! Obviously not quite ready to stop pumping yet, but I do think going down to once a day will work out well. As soon as I can stop with once a day pumping, I'm done! Can't wait to 'hang up the horns'!!

I'm not too worried about my supply as I've not had issues before and it seems really common to wean from the pump and still be able to breastfed at other times. I hope I'm not an exception!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page