has anyone ever attempted this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2010, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not even sure if this will be successful, normal, or acceptable?

However, I am about have another baby in October, and I plan to breastfeed of course. With my first child, (she is now 2), I was unable to breastfeed her (looong story- I still cry about it.), I have always wanted to make it up to her, she had my colostrum, but that was about it.

So I was wondering after I establish breastfeeding with my new baby, would it work out by giving my then 3 year old some either expressed milk or let her drink it from me? maybe 1 feed a day. Would it be beneficial? Health wise for sure! But what will people say? can I keep it secret because of what they might think? Or is it going to mess with her head?

My reasoning is that it will be healthy, immune enhancing, at least making up for it a little bit, and she will feel included (i think emotionally and mentally it will be ok, but im open to hear what others say)...

Anyone know of people who have done this? I would like to know if its possible and get some support if I choose to do this.

Some questions:

She doesn't have the bottle any more, so maybe I would have to express it and give it to her in a cup?

Will expressing milk affect my milk supply for my new baby, or will I just keep producing more and more?

I am looking forward to suggestions, I have months to figure this out!! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 10:11 AM

It won't hurt her at all! I believe 4.2 yrs is the world wide weaning average (my # could be a little off), so it's perfectly normal for a child that age to be receiving mama milk. I'm sure it would give her lots of great immulogical effects. My first dd holiday weaned at only 2 1/4 yrs old (I was also 3 monthes pregnant) and by the time I realized what had happened she had already forgotten how to latch. From that time on, whenever she was sick I would pump her a glass of milk and she said it always made her feel so much better (I quit when she was 5). As for telling people, I just wouldn't mention what type of milk it is...it might really weird some out.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DD weaned just after her 2nd birthday, while I was pregnant with DS. When he was born she did ask a couple of times if she could have milk too but she had forgotten how to latch on.

While it was not a regular thing I did give her some expressed milk, usually mixed with her porridge. I've never been able to express much so it was not very often. I think If I had been able to pump easily I would have done it more.

She must have liked it, we always sent rice milk to preschool for DD as she did not tolerate cows milk, more than once she asked us to send "some of that milk squeezed from your nipples"
Old 05-05-2010, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thankyou Mama w/two, and hyena!!!
Old 05-05-2010, 11:45 PM

Just wanted to say that I plan on expressing milk for my son (turns 2 this month) once the new baby is here in August. Especially if I have the same wicked oversupply I had the first go around.

Wife to a bearded dude.
Mama to DS [05/21/08] & DD [09/16/10] 43 weeks 1 day!
Old 05-06-2010, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunChild View Post

Some questions:

She doesn't have the bottle any more, so maybe I would have to express it and give it to her in a cup?

Will expressing milk affect my milk supply for my new baby, or will I just keep producing more and more?
I would do it. The way I see it, it's way less "weird" than adults drinking milk meant for the young of other mammals

I would go with a cup or a sippy cup... a bottle would be strange at that age and teaching a toddler to latch properly would be difficult.

The more milk you remove from your breasts the more milk you'll make... so if anything pumping for you toddler will give you an oversupply, but no worries about the new baby getting enough. (My tandem nursing book does mention though that the baby should nurse first in the first few days when you're only making colostrum and I guess the same "rule" would apply to pumping for another child?)

Good luck! Post an update in our DDC if this works out for you.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
Old 05-06-2010, 03:04 AM

I think pumping for a cup/glass is a great idea. If she wants to try to nurse, you could do that, too. It might be harder to teach her to latch correctly at this point, and tandem nursing can be rough (but worth it) - but I don't see why she can't get the benefits from breastmilk in a cup. I might wait until nursing has been established with the new baby (especially since it can be really hard the first several weeks), and your supply has regulated - then you can start pumping once a day, and work up to more if you want.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:37 AM

What a sweet and ambitious thought!

The one thing I can think of is, if she's used to the flavor of other milk, human milk may taste strange to her (so many of us can barely switch from skim to whole, etc., without objecting). So maybe the "mixed in porridge" and similar ideas should be on hand (and don't take it personally if she finds the taste unusual!).
Old 05-06-2010, 08:26 AM

I nursed my first until 22mos, when I was 10wks pg with number 2. By the time baby was born, he had forgotten how to latch. He did try to nurse 4 or 5 times and I think he did get some milk (mainly cause I was squeezing it into his mouth to see if he would figure out the latching/sucking thing) and he didn't seem to mind and said it tasted "nummy." I do still give him some in a cup every now and again, especially if he's getting sick. He won't drink it straight, though, so I usually mix it in with something, usually the kefir or soymilk that he drinks.
It's great that you want to do this. I actually pumped colostrum and gave it to my oldest right after the baby was born. He got the H1N1 flu and I gave him 1 oz of my colostrum twice, and he hardly got sick at all. Just the 1 day of fever and then back to normal. Breastmilk is amazing stuff!

User Tag List