nursing clothing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, and if it's not, I apologize!

I am having trouble finding affordable nursing tops for summer. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find some?

I have nursing with regular tops and it has been fine during winter because I wear layers, but summer will be a different story...

Mommy to 1 DS 9/21/09 Bradley Birth!
#2 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 05:43 PM

I haven't been there in a while, but at the Wrentham Outlet Mall (down near Foxboro) there used to be a giant Motherhood outlet that had decent prices. Might be worth a look.

I've been nursing for 4 years and have only ever had one 'nursing top' and it was a huge pain in the neck. I hated it. I nurse year round in knit tops. Sometimes I wear a lightweight tank/cami underneath to cover my belly, but not usally. YMMV.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#3 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 05:47 PM

I like to just wear a nursing tank under any shirt. Like the PP, I never found nursing tops I liked much, and many of them are essentially a tank with a top over them, so I'd rather wear a tank under my own shirts.

As far as nursing tanks go, Target has cheap ones that are less supportive, and Bravado makes ones that are more supportive. I personally think the Glamourmoms tanks are overpriced and not very supportive.
#4 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 05:49 PM

I always do a tank top that's a bit loose (so you can pull it down and still have belly coverage) and either a shrug sweater over it or another shirt over it. It's just as cool as one layer as long as you don't get tight-fitting tanks. I own maybe 2 nursing shirts and I'm going on year 3 of nursing - and I think the nursing selection at Motherhood STINKS. Mostly frumpy, unflattering clothes that make it obvious you're only wearing that shirt because you're nursing a baby. JMO.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#5 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 06:19 PM

haha, sme! i was coming to talk about the cute nursing tops i got at motherhood yesterday! (well, technically destination maternity, but it's MM brand and from the MM that just closed down the hall)

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#6 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 07:03 PM

Do they finally have cute stuff?? I honestly haven't been in to look at nursing stuff since DS was born. Maybe it was just that season's line, but I was soooo turned off.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#7 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

wow, I'm glad I posted before I went out and spent money! Like I said, I have nursed for over 7 months without any nursing tops, but I thought that with wearing "less" clothing in the summer I might need more coverage. But it sounds like I might not! I will definitely check out motherhood and try out a top before I go buying tons that I might not like anyway! Oh, and, I definitely was not about to spend $50+ on a Glamourmoms tank top! Yikes!

#8 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 08:23 PM

for at home I really dont bother with wearing a "nursing" top per se, I pretty much just lift up my shirt

But for the times when im out and about and not sure how I would feel nursing I have bought a few motherhood shirts. I personally prefer the ones that look like they are t-shirts (double layer) because you cant tell they are nursing shirts.
#9 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 09:05 PM

I'm going to move this to the main Breastfeeding forum.

No worries!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#10 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 09:32 PM

Old Navy has nursing t-shirts and tanks on its website in the Maternity section... just a few basic styles but quite affordable. I have a couple I borrowed from my sister that are from Motherwear and I like them better than the Motherhood/DM ones, but they're definitely pricier. Personally, I like the ones that are empire-style the best. I feel like I can be the most discreet in them. I've got one that's like two shirts, and honestly, the under-layer rides up and I end up sharing my flabby 8 week post-partum belly with the world. Ugh.

Like Luv, though, I tend to wear regular shirts when I'm at home, and I start to transition to regular shirts more often as my nursling gets older and we NIP less often. Well, at least that's what I did with DD1. Nursing tops have gotten nicer since then, though!

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#11 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
OK, so let me start by saying I am from Texas and in the summer it is way too hot for any layers (think 104 w/ 99% humidity), so when I was at home I wore a Target nursing cami, with shorts. When I went out I wore a nursing bra with a top and just pulled the top up. It is just too hot to worry about what is showing.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#12 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 PM

Here's the issue I'm having- my nursing bras don't open the same way as my nursing shirts. Therefore I end up having to pull fabric in too many different directions! If my boobs were bigger then I could just pull the boob out, but they're not (especially the right one), so it's sort of a pain to get all the fabric out of the way. I think it annoys DD, too.

#13 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
Here's the issue I'm having- my nursing bras don't open the same way as my nursing shirts. Therefore I end up having to pull fabric in too many different directions! If my boobs were bigger then I could just pull the boob out, but they're not (especially the right one), so it's sort of a pain to get all the fabric out of the way. I think it annoys DD, too.
Yes! I hated that. I actually don't use nursing bras or nursing tops (after spending an obscene amount of $ on them ) - I use a stretchy one-layer cheapo fabric bra over my Lilypadz with the tank top over it. That way, everything just stretches down under my boob (which is big enough to hold the fabric out of the way ), I take the Lilypad off, and pop baby on. The cardigan or top that I'm wearing over the tank still covers my chest so I feel decent, and belly is covered as well.

#14 of 27 Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 AM

I use a tank under everything - the cotton ones are breathable enough that even in hot weather, it doesn't seem like too much clothes. FWIW - I am in SC and our summer weather is no better - it has already been over 90 degrees, and it is only May!

What nursing tops I do own, came from Motherwear. I am a plus-size mama and Motherhood Maternity has an awful selection in plus size (that is to say, they HAVE things bigger than an XL, but not many, and not many cute things!)

that said, since I am a plus size mama, I really don't like showing off my belly, so try to always wear a cami or tank. If not, well, I still nurse with a cover regardless, though DS is getting impatient with it!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#15 of 27 Old 05-10-2010, 10:46 AM

For those of us who have bellies we want to hide, I just came across this recently. I don't know anything about it, though. I can't decide if I'd be interested or not. The thing I like is that I can wear it with a real bra. The nursing tank fulfills the same requirement, but I don't feel like it gives me enough support for regular use.

http://www.modestmiddles.com/

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#16 of 27 Old 05-10-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

I found these online too and was wondering about them. Anyone ever tried them?

#17 of 27 Old 05-10-2010, 01:15 PM

I have actually cut the top part of one of my camis to be just like the modest middle. I find it is my fav for wearing while out, but don't think I would pay that price for it. And honestly the hotter it gets, that is still 2 layers and layers are hot period. In the heat I prefer something that I can pull down from the top or unbotton from the top that is a reg shirt. I use a spit-up cloth to drape over the top, and to be ready to cover the nipple if she hears something curious and pops off I do lift my shirt at home or at my parents or something, but in a waiting room etc, I feel I would draw to much attention lifting my shirt!
#18 of 27 Old 05-10-2010, 08:49 PM

I got one nursing top from Motherhood Maternity, and hated it. Opening the nursing part made my whole boob plop out. It was much more discreet to just wear a regular nursing bra with any cute top, and lift my shirt from the bottom. Also, I often used pretty scarves instead of a nursing cover or baby blanket- just for a little extra coverage.
#19 of 27 Old 05-10-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj_rn View Post
OK, so let me start by saying I am from Texas and in the summer it is way too hot for any layers (think 104 w/ 99% humidity), so when I was at home I wore a Target nursing cami, with shorts. When I went out I wore a nursing bra with a top and just pulled the top up. It is just too hot to worry about what is showing.
Me too (Houston), so I know what you mean! I got some really lightweight button down tops like this from Kohls (got them for like $14 on sale) and wear my Target nursing camis under them instead of the cami it comes with. Works well for me.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#20 of 27 Old 05-10-2010, 10:14 PM

I'm going to be wearing this http://www.undercovermama.com/ til I'm done nursing. Love it! I've tried MANY nursing shirts, tanks (not enough support or long enough) over the last 8 1/2 yrs and this is the best
#21 of 27 Old 05-10-2010, 10:20 PM

I also like the empire opening type tops-especially since lo is usually in a wrap or MT. You can also find directions online for making your own nursing tops... here's a link http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/shirt.html

japanese weekend nursing tops are my favorite but of course are spendy-so I hunt them down on ebay

Amy - mama to dd 2/2007 and ds who arrived 2/2010 my VBAC
                  Comfy Cozy Diapers
Newborn Rentals, Military Discount, Free Layaway

14 Day Guarantee - Return diapers if you don't like them

Follow us on Facebook & Twitter

#22 of 27 Old 05-11-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaw/two View Post
I'm going to be wearing this http://www.undercovermama.com/ til I'm done nursing. Love it! I've tried MANY nursing shirts, tanks (not enough support or long enough) over the last 8 1/2 yrs and this is the best
WHAT AN AWESOME PRODUCT!!

Of course, it would mean I'd have to find a nursing bra that I didn't hate, but still a really cool product. I wonder - does it work on a normal stretchy fabric bra too?

#23 of 27 Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 AM

hmm, I'd been wanting to hear from someone who actually used one. Glad to hear it worked well. I'm considering buying one now.

#24 of 27 Old 05-11-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
WHAT AN AWESOME PRODUCT!!

Of course, it would mean I'd have to find a nursing bra that I didn't hate, but still a really cool product. I wonder - does it work on a normal stretchy fabric bra too?
I have ALOT of bra's and I haven't found one yet that it doesn't work on, it even works with regular bras!
#25 of 27 Old 05-12-2010, 12:47 AM

I haven't read through all the replies so I may be repeating others but I never cared for nursing wear. I just wear a tank top layered underneath another shirt. When I was in FL recently and it was hot I just wore the tank tops that I could easily pull down or t-shirts that I could easily pull up. If you are somewhere that you would feel too exposed using these options, bring along a light, but wide, scarf or wrap to cover up or a light hoodie that you can pull over during the nursing session.

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#26 of 27 Old 05-12-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaw/two View Post
I've sooo been wanting to order two of these. But since the budget is tight, I was wondering if anyone has DIY'd their own, maybe cutting the spaghetti straps off a stretchy cami and sewing on some of those little clips? Too labor intensive?

I have two really stretchy camis from Kohls, and I just pull them down below my boob, then lift my shirt. I'd like the Undercover Mamas, but don't want DH to or or when he sees the credit card bill.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#27 of 27 Old 09-22-2011, 09:21 PM

I got a few hand-me-down nursing tops with Gap Maternity/Nursing tags on them. I then did an online search and they listed some online. They are great. I haven't been able to find any anywhere else, although Target and Old Navy list them online as well, but not in stores. 

I think the undercover mama looks great!! 

Expecting first child1sttri.gif with DP in August 2011joy.gif eager to be a breastfeeding, winner.jpg baby-wearing femalesling.GIF mama! delayedvax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page