Does this sound like mastitis? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-13-2010, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
So both my kids have chicken pox. Yesterday the whole day I felt.. very desperate for a nap (dh eventually came home early and I took a very long one! WHEW!) by mid afternoon I felt kinda like I had a fever, except without the fever part. I also was achey.. lower back and hips, mostly. So I expected that I just needed a nap and would feel better. Woke up.. nope! Feel just as bad! AS the night progressed I developed a fever. I just sorta assumed that even though I have immunity to CP, I was exposed and my immune system is just doing its thing, hence the fever. At the highest (that I checked, at least) it was 101.3. Now its around 99.9 and I don't feel as bad, just a little weak and headachey. Anyway, just in the last couple hours it occured to me.. duh, my boob freaking hurts! Its not unbearable to nurse but it is uncomfortable enough that I've put my 3 y/o off several times. I don't feel any lump or anything that feels like a plugged duct. dh says it looks red. I've always heard of mastitis as being pure agony, like getting run over by a truck and so much as brushing your arm against it is like blinding pain. Its not THAT bad. but definitely sore to the touch.

Could it be mastitis? Do I need to do anything specifically to treat it or will it just run its course?

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#2 of 4 Old 05-13-2010, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never had mastitis, but your symptoms seem to fit the description. I've heard that breastfeeding women sometimes get mastitis when other members of their family get viral infections.

The recommended treatment is rest, fluids, massage the breast, apply heat, and nurse. It's important not to decrease the frequency of nursing if it is either mastitis or a plugged duct. If pain or a high fever persist or worsen your healthcare provider may need to prescribe an antibiotic.

The kellymom page has lots of info if you haven't checked it out already: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

Whether or not it's mastitis, I hope you feel better soon.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#3 of 4 Old 05-13-2010, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That sounds like when I had mastitis ( Like you said, different from other experienced).
You need to keep nursing, A LOT! Lot's of rest and fluids. Extra vitamin C is also good. I chose to take raw garlic as a natural antibiotic. You can cut the clove into a few smaller pieces and swallow is like a pill. I think I did three cloves a day. You can also take ibueprofen to help with the pain and swelling.
Hope you are feeling better soon!

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#4 of 4 Old 05-13-2010, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Interesting about viral infections in other family members being a cause! When dd had (presumably, never went to a doc to confirm) rotovirus, I had similar symptoms.

Still nursing like crazy! The baby likes to use that side as a pacifier. I've gone through 2 quarts of recharge in less than 24 hours so I'm good on fluids. I'll take some C and garlic too. Thanks!!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page