suddenly sore at 10 months? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2010, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is 10 months old and we've had a great nursing relationship from day 1. For about the past week, though, she seems to be nursing differently on one side. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it seems like she's grazing the nipple with her teeth a little. She's had teeth for a while now and this hasn't happened before. It's uncomfortable when she does it, and that side's getting a bit sore. I've tried breaking the latch and starting over, and sometimes it helps, but usually she goes back to it after a minute. I just don't get it....nothing's changed, and I haven't been sore while nursing her, ever. I also nursed my DS for 22 months and while we had a rocky start, I don't think I had any soreness with him after the first few months. Any suggestions? TIA.

Amy, wife to Paul 5/20/01, SAHM to Daniel 5/23/07, Claire 7/15/09, and Elaine 9/4/12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 03:04 PM

My first thought w/ sudden soreness and an older nursling is hormonal changes. Have you recently started menstruating (or think you're going to soon)? Your nipples can be more sensitive during ovulation and right before your period starts. Or, could you be pregnant? Even though it's only on one side, that side could be more sensitive for some reason. Maybe your nursling prefers it, so nurses more aggressively on that side, maybe it got "scraped" at some point and the hormonal changes are making it more sensitive. Taking a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement can help (it also helps if you have supply issues associated w/ menstruation).

The other thing I wonder about is thrush. Usually thrush is bilateral, but not always. Any redness/itching? Yeasty diaper rash for your DD? Vaginal yeast infection for you?

Definitely pay close attention to latch on that side for now. Encourage your DD to open wide and be careful with her teeth. Sometimes we get lazy with older nurslings and let them nurse in all kinds of strange positions, which could aggravate the soreness. Your DD is old enough to understand that she needs to be gentle and calm while nursing, at least until you heal (although you'll have to keep reminding her!).

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

Old 05-17-2010, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm....my cycle is still MIA, but of course it could return at any time. I've been charting for a couple months now and haven't noticed any recent changes, though. It's pretty unlikely that I'm pregnant, though I know that can cause sensitivity and had forgotten about that. No signs of yeast.

All that said, I think you're right about the "scraping." I took a closer look this morning and there was a tiny, barely noticeable spot where the skin was broken. She must have nicked me and I didn't notice at the time. It's like a stupid papercut - small, but ow! So I think now that maybe she isn't nursing differently, it's just that the spot is aggravated when she nurses. It was uncomfortable when my shirt was rubbing on it several hours after she nursed today, too.

Amy, wife to Paul 5/20/01, SAHM to Daniel 5/23/07, Claire 7/15/09, and Elaine 9/4/12

Old 05-17-2010, 11:19 PM

My first thought was pregnancy too. I know when I got pregnant (DS1 was 15m) my nipples were sore for a few weeks. Hopefully your nick will heal quickly though and that will be the end of it!

Amy~ Crunchy mummy to Dane (9-15-07) & Kai (9-14-09)

User Tag List