5 months + PP and still leaking. . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

I am a little over 5 months PP and exclusively breastfeeding my DS. I am still leaking pretty heavily (as in, I have to wear breast pads every day all day and all night).

Every time DS feeds I soak the pads I have on and have to change them. Luckily the random in-between leaking has subsided but every time I feed him, I am like a garden hose. Usually both breast leak equally. One is not worse then the other. If I don't wear pads (which I keep trying/hoping will work) my entire shirt will be soaked in BF milk. Its embarrassing and causes for quiet a lot of laundry.

Is there anything I can do to slow down the leaking a little? The breastpads are getting old and I am dreading having to wear them for the hot summer months.

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 10:09 PM

No suggestions as to how to make it stop, but I can commiserate. I was still using breast pads until my daughter was 9? 12? months old. When I would nurse her on one side milk would shoot out the other... like, all the way across the room if I didn't have something covering the nipple.

I do think after awhile that one set of pads would last most of the day though. I don't remember having to change them often after the first few months. I used the super absorbent disposable Lansinoh ones.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
Old 05-17-2010, 11:16 PM

I am with you mama! DS2 is 8 months old and I still go through two or three sets of pads a day and wake up in a puddle. I still do the in between leaking too though. I did this with my first son until 11 months. It eventually stopped though.

If you haven't tried them, get some fleece backed bamboo nursing pads. They dry quick and you don't spend a fortune on the disposable ones. They have been a lifesaver for me!

Amy~ Crunchy mummy to Dane (9-15-07) & Kai (9-14-09)
Old 05-17-2010, 11:52 PM

My DD is 15 months old and I still need pads. It's a major PITA, but I feel lucky that I have enough milk to provide for her as she needs.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:35 AM

DS is 8 months old, and I still need to stuff a diaper down my shirt when I'm nursing!

Have you tried those Lilypads? I think that's what they're called... They stick on the boob, so you can wear lighter shirts/strapless thingies... I want to ry some out for the summer.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Im not sure I can get Lilypads in the EU but I heard they only worked if you have light leaking? is this true?

Old 05-18-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post
Im not sure I can get Lilypads in the EU but I heard they only worked if you have light leaking? is this true?
I don't know... You're probably right. I checked out reviews though, and it says that they don't catch the leak, they prevent it from happening by pressing down on the nipple. So it might at least slow your leak!
Old 05-18-2010, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

hmm yeah. I wonder.. . usually compression isn't enough for me I just garden hose.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparker View Post
No suggestions as to how to make it stop, but I can commiserate. I was still using breast pads until my daughter was 9? 12? months old. When I would nurse her on one side milk would shoot out the other... like, all the way across the room if I didn't have something covering the nipple.

I do think after awhile that one set of pads would last most of the day though. I don't remember having to change them often after the first few months. I used the super absorbent disposable Lansinoh ones.
I had to use pads until DS was...18 months old? At least that long. It did finally get to a point where I needed to replace them only twice a day, and then once a day.

It wasn't until just a few months ago that I started to go braless at night again, as I needed the pressure of the bra to stop leaking on the non-nursed side. DS is 31 mos.

I used Lasinoh as well. I just leaked through any re-usable ones I tried.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:55 PM

Anyone tried therse?? http://www.mymilkies.com/

Amy~ Crunchy mummy to Dane (9-15-07) & Kai (9-14-09)

User Tag List