breastfeeding malnourished mama? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-19-2010, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a breastfeeding mom of 3 (5,3, and 18mo)-I only nurse the babe- and have been feeling pretty rough the past 2 months or so. It seems I cannot get enough to eat! I am always hungry. And I am feeling very heavy headed, foggy brained, tired, and anxious, consequently. I'm not sure what's causing what. My naturopath has me on vitex and chromium supplements. I am suspecting the vitex is not agreeing with me and have stopped taking that recently.
Anyway, I am just wondering if there are other mom's out there nursing and running around after multiple kids and having trouble keeping up with their own health, diet, well-being...
I am feeling so discouraged and anxious. It really does make me feel better to hear about other women who have experienced this same thing. Sometimes I get so caught up in my own world and I can really freak myself out.
If you have gone through a similar patch and have come out the other side, please fill me in. I would love advice on diet, habits, mind sets, etc... to help get me through.
Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 05-20-2010, 02:46 AM

have you had your thyroig checked? not unusual to have thyroid issues postpartum.

nak
#3 of 4 Old 05-20-2010, 10:41 AM

being ravenous is pretty normal I think, but also might be low iron, are you getting enough sleep? there are lots of things that can make you feel that way, I have been on Vitex, but not while nursing, and I had no issues. When I was taking a non-food based iron supplement, it made me feel like crap. taking a food-based one is much better. We don't have any naturopaths in our area, so I am not sure what testing they might do; if he can, can he run thyroid and iron levels? and possibly vitamin D?

hope you feel better! or at least figure out how to get on better path to wellness. I eat ALOT somedays, it seems as if I am never full; other days I am just "normal" hungry. Follow your body's cues - if you are hungry, eat! and don't feel guilty so long as you are eating mostly good things.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#4 of 4 Old 05-20-2010, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

I have had all these things checked and they are all within normal range. The more I think about it, the more I think that I am experiencing anxiety and all the crazy things that go along with it... that, and I think my body is trying to readjust to NOT being pregnant for the first time in 5 years and all my hormones are all over the place. Thanks for your thoughts. I don't know anything for sure. We'll see...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page