Question about nursing and running - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-24-2010, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
.... But not at the same time . Ds is almost a year and still is not 'eating'. So he gets all his nutrition from me, so I don't want to do something that could hurt my supply. We co sleep and he nurses a lot (I don't count for sanity purposes) and nurses about 4-5 times a day. I do work part time (1-3 half days a week) and pump while I'm away. My supply has been great (I've even been able to donate some). But now I finally have felt energized enough to start running again. I was an avid runner before ds, so I am excited to start again, but I've heard it can hurt your supply.... I'm not planning on running any marathons, but maybe 2-3 miles 2-4 times a week. I'm staying hydrated and making sure I'm eating enough calories (I run for the 'high' not weight loss).... I want to bf as long as possible, sooooo experienced running bf'ing mamas; do you notice a dip in your supply? And if so, how to you combat it?
Tia

Mother to C 6/5/09 and wife to wonderful hubby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-24-2010, 11:04 PM

Not personal experience, but my good friend ran and breastfed with no supply issues. She ran 5-10 km 3 times a week. She did have breast issues though - plugged ducts from a too tight running bra.
#3 of 7 Old 05-25-2010, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
Not personal experience, but my good friend ran and breastfed with no supply issues. She ran 5-10 km 3 times a week. She did have breast issues though - plugged ducts from a too tight running bra.
thanks! I'll keep that in mind! I'm much larger since I'm bfeeding and tempted to wear a very tight running bra...

Mother to C 6/5/09 and wife to wonderful hubby!
#4 of 7 Old 05-25-2010, 10:49 AM

I think you should be fine. I started working out pretty hard when DD was around 7-8 mo old and was pumping, and did notice a dip in output. So I cut back. The thing is, if you do notice a little bit of a difference, you can usually correct it before any damage is done. So if you think your LO is fussing at the breast more, or if you feel like he's just not getting enough, slow down. If not, keep going.

Good for you for getting back into running! It's going to feel so good!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#5 of 7 Old 05-25-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehockey18 View Post
I'm much larger since I'm bfeeding and tempted to wear a very tight running bra...
That is where my friend went wrong... but I have to say she didn't buy a new (supportive but well fitting) bra - just squeezed onto an old one.

Enjoy the running!
#6 of 7 Old 05-26-2010, 10:08 AM

I think as long as you ease back into running, it should be fine. I think the supply problems stem from too much weight loss too quickly typically.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#7 of 7 Old 05-26-2010, 11:22 AM

I did run a marathon and I'm training for another now.

Most women can safely run while breastfeeding and not see any difference in their supply. And since you pump some, you'll be able to physically see any dip in supply, vs a mom who doesn't pump and has to rely on baby's cues to indicate something may be wrong.

Definitely be wary of poor-fitting bras!! I was having trouble with plugged ducts and mastitis, and I finally went to a running store and got fitted for a new bra, and I paid a pretty penny for it too, but it worked, no more plugs!

Also beware that some babies don't like the taste of lactic acid and/or the salty taste of sweat, so you might want to time your run so you have a chance to shower and let the lactic acid dissipate before you feed him next. My sons never have cared, I nursed my second son at the finish line of the Air Force Marathon in 2008

Happy running!!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page