Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

4 kids under 10
#2 of 14 Old 05-25-2010, 10:45 PM

I had blood pressure problems at the very end of my pregnancy and postpartum. I also had supply issues where we had to supplement because I wasn't making even half an ounce of milk at a time. My bp is now more normal and we're about 95% breast milk. I've been doing weight watchers which has been working for me. I've lost weight but slowly enough that I'm not seeing any effect in supply. They take into account the extra calories you need for nursing and focus a lot on eating fruits, veggies, lean protein, etc. as well as being active. You don't have to go to meetings since they have an online forum and such. I thought I would hate the meetings but they aren't bad if you can find a good leader. I hope that helps.
#3 of 14 Old 05-25-2010, 11:33 PM

I have friends that do WW while nursing, these are the same that would use it not-nursing also. For myself, WW is just not my thing.

It sounds counter-intuitive, but the most important thing for me to remember is to eat ENOUGH. If I cut back too much, my body will not let me lose weight, even though I have plenty to lose. also I try to do some moderate activity every day. The weight is coming off slowly, but the number on the scale is going DOWN! yay! I am 6 months PP now and have breastfed the whole time, and I have lost 28 lbs - which is 3 more than I gained while pregnant. I have a long way to go yet before a truly "healthy" weight, but I think slow and steady will win it.

I only notice a slight drop in supply during my period, which is completely normal. it returned at 4 months PP. I think just as important as calories is drinking enough fluids. You can always consider adding fenugreek or a mother's milk tea to help boost supply.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#4 of 14 Old 05-26-2010, 02:11 AM

I'm just coming off the tail end of a yucky stomach bug, and I haven't eaten much of anything for a few days, but my milk supply has been fine throughout the sickness. WW was recommended to me by several people too. Also, exercising 1hr/day. The people who recommend it usually do stroller walks a few times a day. When my baby was smaller, I could park him in the bouncy or jumper and do a video or Wii, but he won't stand for it anymore.
#5 of 14 Old 05-26-2010, 02:21 AM

Have you considered trying the primal blueprint, paleo style lifestyle? Google primal blueprint for more info.
#6 of 14 Old 05-26-2010, 03:14 AM

Have you tried acupuncture for your BP? I don't have chronic hypertension, but it did take a few months for my BP to get back to my normal after preeclampsia. Within 3 sessions of acupuncture, my blood pressure went from 120s/80s to my normal of 100s/60s, and has stayed there even though I haven't been back in a couple of months.

Acupuncture can also help with weight loss, or so I've heard. It hasn't worked for me, but I have been stress eating like crazy for months, and haven't gained while bf'ing.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#7 of 14 Old 05-26-2010, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

4 kids under 10
#8 of 14 Old 05-26-2010, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

4 kids under 10
#9 of 14 Old 05-26-2010, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Some good advice, thanks!!

4 kids under 10
#10 of 14 Old 05-26-2010, 09:07 AM

the livestrong.com website has very detailed advice... I am pretty sure you will be OK with "reasonable" weight loss while nursing. I am not sure exactly what the target per week would be, though.
#11 of 14 Old 05-26-2010, 09:45 AM

Usually you are ok with losing 1-2 pounds a week. I would just slowly decrease your calories in and slowly increase your exercise to be safe with your supply.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#12 of 14 Old 05-26-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
Oh, I don't think I was clear. I have done it all--IBCLCs, supplements, Dom, pumping, skin-to-skin, alternative medicine, SNS, thyroid testing, etc. I just want to clear up that my supply problems are pretty extreme and not something I can fix with supplements so that everyone understands what I mean and can answer weight loss questions knowing that it's pretty extreme.
Right there with you.
I really don't think moderate exercise and sensible calorie restriction will hurt your supply. Everything I've read is that a woman would have to really malnourished before it affects supply.
I wasn't trying to lose weight but ended up getting to 20 pounds under pre-pregnancy weight by my LO's first birthday just because I was walking so much and eating better than usual while on maternity leave. If anything, my supply improved over that time.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#13 of 14 Old 05-26-2010, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I dont' have supply issues, but my weight has been going up, not down, the past few weeks. *sigh* I'd like to be down 15 lbs or so, at least. 20 would be ideal...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#14 of 14 Old 05-27-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmomma View Post
Have you considered trying the primal blueprint, paleo style lifestyle? Google primal blueprint for more info.
yes! a very healthy diet, great for weight loss, with no calorie restriction

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page