Low low dose of lithium - could it be safe? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-26-2010, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was at the naturopath again yesterday for my moods (grouchiness), and even though I don't have bi-polar, he gave me 20mg lithium to "elevate my mood".

Of course I asked about breastfeeding but he said "it's such a small dose, I'm not concerned".

He told me that people with bi-polar take 200 to 400 mg, and he's only giving me 20 mg.

I've read the threads in here but haven't found anything about this low low dose. Otherwise it seems that lithium, especially for someone who isn't even bipolar, is not recommended.

I have put a hold on Hale's Mothers Milk and Medications at the library but it'll be a few days until it's available. Powells doesn't even have any copies available that I can go look at.

Any advice would be so appreciated.
#2 of 3 Old 05-26-2010, 02:17 PM

if you go to amazon.com, you can search inside the 2006 edition of Hale on line. Hope that helps.

nak
#3 of 3 Old 05-26-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

thanks! it was there on page 490.
http://www.amazon.com/Medications-Mo...der_096362198X

But didn't have any information on a very low dose.

Regarding the effect on babies: I guess it's just coincidence that the baby slept more poorly yesterday, last night and today than he has in months.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page