Oversupply, Undernursing, and Teething - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2010, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

My little one is almost 12 months and is still 90% breastfed. She has been teething, sick, or both this past week and we seem to be having more trouble than usual with reluctance to nurse and resulting oversupply. She doesn't seem to want to eat anything-- breastmilk or otherwise-- and doesn't even really want to comfort nurse longer than 3-5 minutes at a time. She's always been a short-and-frequent nurser but the frequency is down the past few days. Now I'm engorged on one side, floppy on the other, and she's been throwing up. (Perhaps a result of the Tylenol?) Help! This is my second time breastfeeding but even second-timers get a little overwhelmed. Any advice for handling nursing anomalies while teething? Should I treat the engorgement or wait a day or so to see if it works itself out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If this is the second time around then you know that teething doesn't pass in a day or two, you need to pump or hand express because if the breast isn't stimulated then you're going to loose your supply - sorry to be direct but am in a bit of a rush but wanted to reply all the same, you can give cammomile granules and arnica for teething - for our kids it worked a treat - nurse with baby sitting up as the lying down nursing position can be more painful, and you can also tell baby that when she bites down it's painful. So for the timebeing you need to keep your suppy up and avoid getting a plugged duct or mastitis so to this end really do pump or express so that you give yourself the best chance possible, and try the homeopathics. Is her nose blocked? You can squirt breast milk into her nose to unblock it, - when you say she's sick is it vomiting from the painkillers? My nephews were terrible with that stuff hence looking into homeopathic teething granules.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .

User Tag List