Stopping BFing and Feeling Horrible - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-15-2010, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I am preparing to go back to work after my second maternity loeave (my son is now just over 5 months) and I am weaning him slowly onto formula. I can't pump...it just does not work for me. My hormones are going crazy and I am feeling so depressed...I haven't felt this bad since before I got pregnant again. I would nurse forever if I could, but unfortunately I have to put a roof over my kids' head and food on the table, and I just can't do that and nurse simultaneously.

I don't remember this happening last time quite so violently. I wanted to see if anyone has been there before and had any words of wisdom for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 06-15-2010, 07:16 PM

I don't have any advice just support

I have heard of mama's pumping while looking at pictures and visualizing and stuff...that won't work? I know I have trouble pumping if my mind isn't in the right place.

Sophia ~ 9/21 learning how to be crunchy mama. Uh oh, I just went over the crunch edge! ECing!! Planned ~ maybe next time : :
#3 of 13 Old 06-15-2010, 07:47 PM

can you pump once or twice per day? you wouldn't necessarily have to pump every 2 hours since he's 5 mos. i've known some moms who were successful at just nursing when they are home, but even pumping once/day might help conserve your supply. even if you only nurse when you are home, you could still maintain the bond.

good luck!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#4 of 13 Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 PM

You can always nurse while you are together and formula-feed while apart if pumping isn't an option. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 13 Old 06-15-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
You can always nurse while you are together and formula-feed while apart if pumping isn't an option. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
yes!

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#6 of 13 Old 06-15-2010, 11:12 PM

I agree, you don't need to wean entirely, not at all. Is there any way you can come home (or to daycare) to your baby for a lunch time nursing?

Is there any way that whoever is watching your baby while you are at work, can bring your baby to you at lunch and/or at breaks?

Have you tried a variety of different pumps and hand-expressing, as well? (I only ask because I know others have said they couldn't, only to find out that with a different pump or hand-expressing, they actually could get together a bottle daily)
#7 of 13 Old 06-15-2010, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i dont pump a lot (4-5 oz during 10 hour shift) but i pump at home and now tht she's on solids she doesnt need as much ebm while im away. people also use domperidone and herbs to boost supply. i work 40-80 hours a week so i know its possible to woh and bf
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#8 of 13 Old 06-16-2010, 09:27 AM

I could not pump at work after 5 mts so I formula'd at work and BF'd at home.

This time I may have to mix formula and BM as I can still pump but not a lot, but have no problem BFing at home. I have also learned (and you can find it on youtube, how to pump and bf simultaneously. I did this to build my freezer stash before working.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#9 of 13 Old 06-16-2010, 10:29 AM

Yes, it absolutely doesn't have to be all or nothing. You may even find that she doesn't drink much (formula) during the day (make sure your care provider's aren't overfeeding her) and will reverse-cycle at night.

Regarding the hormonal flux and depression... I'd suggest talking to your care provider (if you DO decide that meds might help you, using them through the transition and then weaning off as life (and hormones) normalize would be an option.)
Also, I've had great personal success with taking Fish Oil and B-Complex supplements.
It's been my observation (3.5yrs of nursing, two kids, and a local ap group of 180+ families) that ANYTIME there's a change in the breastfeeding pattern, there is potential for a hormonal adjustment. And depression etc often goes with that.

{{hug}}
#10 of 13 Old 06-17-2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
I tried doing that, except once my baby got on the bottle he didn't want to nurse anymore and he was 5 months.
#11 of 13 Old 06-17-2010, 01:43 PM

For my little guy, it did have to be all or nothing, because by mixing the two, it was screwing with his digestive system and making him a very unhappy baby.
But yes, I know exactly how hard it is to make this decision. I wasn't pumping NEAR enough at home to keep up with his demand and my work environment really isn't the best for pumping.

So, he got the best of me, if you will, for 9 weeks. All I can say is that he's happy, healthy and thriving going on 15 weeks.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#12 of 13 Old 06-17-2010, 06:42 PM

I second the suggestion of trying other pumps. I found that with my Advent Isis I could get more than an electric pump; others I've known had a completely different response to a different brand of electric pump.
And yes, try nursing him on your lunch break, and introducing solids (I know early intro of solids is controversial, but then so is formula) to make up for the lack of breast milk.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#13 of 13 Old 06-17-2010, 06:53 PM

I can't pump at work... I just hate it. I work all day without pumping, then pump when I get home. I do it in the quiet in my bedroom and look at pictures of my little guy. Doing it that way, I can get two bottles in 5 or 10 minutes, and I still have enough milk to nurse him after I pump.

If you could get enough pumped for one day, you could try out seeing if you can pump when you get home, and if that will give you enough for the next day.

My body has adjusted and I don't have any problem going as long as 8-10 hours without nusing or pumping, and it hasn't had a negative effect on my milk supply.

Parenting four little monkeys (11, 8, 6, and 4) with the love of my life. Making it up as I go.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page