At what age did you first...? (survey) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 03-19-2004, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
3 weeks old to the day, we left her with my mom for 45 minutes so we could have sex. Does that sound horrible? Dh and I deperately needed some alone romantic time. It had been months. I was distracted the whole time, wondering how she was...

Solids were started at about 5 months old...but very minimally until she was 7 mos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 44 Old 03-19-2004, 01:21 AM

My DD was left with my sister on her 4th day alive for several hours b/c I had to go to the emergency room ( unresolved delivery issues) She took the pumped from a bottle and I was terribly engorged. The hospital finally brought me a pump as they were releasing me
Then at 6 weeks I had to go back to work but I only went back part time. I ama waitress so I worked one 4 hour lunch shift and one 7 hour dinner shift. It was such torture I called in sick now and then and even filled shifts whenever I could. I hated going to work but it is where our health insurance comes from so go I must.
As far as solids DD was introduced to rice cereal around 6 mos but it constipated her. I didn't know enough then that just b/c my peditrician told me to do it didn't mena it was right. I have learned so much from this board that my next onen wont get solids until he/she shows a serious interest.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#33 of 44 Old 03-19-2004, 06:51 PM

DH & I had a date at the end of May 2003, to celebrate our anniversary. DS was born 2 months before that. He stayed with my parents. We have not been on a date since then! :LOL

Solids were introduced at 5 months, but he didn't start eating them on a regular basis until 6 months. I caved to pressure from a lot of nosey old ladies. It was homemade "guacamommy" (avocado & EBM). I have never fed him commercial baby cereals or jarred foods.

Edited to remove a very poorly written post script! Slap my hand!
#34 of 44 Old 03-20-2004, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son formula fed but attachment parented (long story). I first left him..hmmm.. well it was over a year. He started solids at 6 months. My daughter is breastfed. I haven't really left her for any length of time and she's 16.5 months. I have left her with my mom for an hour or so and she's been in the church nursery a couple of times for 30 minutes. Other than that she's with me all the time. She started solids at 11 months.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#35 of 44 Old 03-21-2004, 12:36 AM

I have one dd.

I first left her with dh when she was 2w2d old, for two hours while I started my classes for fall semester. We first left her with my mother at 2w6d old because we both had to be on campus at the same time!

She started solids around six or seven months. It's something of a blur, now, looking back three years later!

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#36 of 44 Old 03-21-2004, 12:48 AM

Baby 1 - (Mainstream mom) - 6 weeks to return to work / non-breastfed (but tried hard) introduced solids at 6 months.

Baby 2 - (totally AP) - left him for the first time with my mom at 9 months for an hour. Could not leave him for 2+ years b/c he nursed every 3 hours.

Introduced solids at 18 months.

Baby 3 - left him after 4 months with sitter or dad to go back to work part time. Still nursed full time (pumping / working from home). Introduced solids at about 9 months. He wanted FOOD!
#37 of 44 Old 03-21-2004, 02:35 AM

I left dd with my mom for about 2 hours when she was 4 months old.

We had a 6 month birthday party to introduce her to solid food but she didn't get into the swing for another few months (heck, she still prefers "a little something" and she's almost 2 1/2!)

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#38 of 44 Old 03-21-2004, 04:10 AM
RAF

dd #1) first left her, I don't know, probably around 20 months with dh just to go to the store. Started solids around 7 months.

dd #2) haven't left her yet (she is 11months) and started solids, homemade, around 4-5 months old (she is one, hungry baby!).
#39 of 44 Old 03-21-2004, 09:16 AM

Wow, I'm really surprised by some of the replies! Six months, 9 months, or longer before leaving a child even with his father?

We left our son with his grandmom for about an hour when he was 3 days old. We had to go to a closing on the house we had just sold and we really wanted that to be over with. I didn't want to take our son along because I knew everyone would fuss over him and he was too tiny to be exposed to all that.

I was away from him again when he was 4 weeks old because I needed surgery--he was with his dad and his aunt then.

Starting at 8 weeks I went back to work and our son has been with his dad during the day. I consider my husband to be an equal parent to me. The only thing he can't do is nurse, but I always leave lots of expressed milk. I feel concerned when I read other threads by mamas saying they can't ever leave their kids with the dad because the kids cry.

As for starting solids, Isaac is not quite six months and we have not started any.
#40 of 44 Old 03-21-2004, 10:30 PM

Baby # 1 : I first left her @ 6 weeks to go back to work part-time. I hated leaving her, but she only stayed with my mom or MIL. She never had a drop of formula and nursed until 20 months. We introduced solids at 6 months, but she didn't even eat them daily until more like 9 months. I remember the ped saying she was allowed three "meals" per day and thinking "she only eats one if that!". :

Baby #2: I first left him @ 4 weeks to go work out (I'm gone 45 minutes). I leave while he is still asleep in bed with dh and am back right about the time he wakes up to nurse again. I occassionally left/leave him with dh to run to the grocery store. I first introduced him to new tastes at 7 months, but he is just now really eating solids at 11mo... and not whole meals or anything, but enjoying bites of our food now that he has teeth.

Neither of my kids have cared much for baby cereal or pureed/jarred food.

I have no problem whatsoever leaving my kids with dh. He does quite well with them and there's no one I trust more to take care of them. I work out three times a week and am gone 45 minutes and the exercise clears my mind and gets me ready for my day.
#41 of 44 Old 03-21-2004, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by daria
Wow, I'm really surprised by some of the replies! Six months, 9 months, or longer before leaving a child even with his father?

I feel concerned when I read other threads by mamas saying they can't ever leave their kids with the dad because the kids cry.
Daria,

The original question for this post was simply when you first physically separated from your baby. The issue here is not if someone feels or does not feel comfortable leaving their baby with the father. It is simply at what age did you feel comfortable leaving your baby. I was just curious to see how it might be different for more alternative mothers as opposed to more mainstream mothers.

I didn't put it here for us to judge eachother. Just simply to conduct a kind of survey I suppose. I don't "feel concerned" when reading your post, so please don't feel concerned while reading mine and the others. This is for curious minds and informational purposes only. I want everyone to feel comfortable responding, whether they first left their child at a day old, or the child is five and they still haven't left it.
#42 of 44 Old 03-22-2004, 11:44 AM

nak

DD ~~ I left her with Dh around 10 months to return to work on night a week. I pumped, but she wanted nothing to do with that....I quit work after 4 weeks.....Dh is not a baby guy at all and did not like me leaving her with him for that long (6-9hrs).

As for solids....I didn't start any with her until she was 9 months old....she wasn't interested until then.

DS ~~ He is 8 months old and I left him last week for an hour and a bit to get my hair cut.....Dh and my brother had him even though he has said "that one doesn't get left" :LOL Like I said....Dh is NOT a baby guy.
He started solids a month ago....he seems to like to taste things, but never "eats".....

We do the mushed up real food, not jarred or cereal.....His fav seems to be my plum I was eating a couple days ago....

I wasn't overly comfortable with Dd going with anyone besides Dh or I until she was 15 months....then she'd go to a friends house and play....
Ds....too many people keep trying to give him crappy food....so until he's older, I won't leave him with anyone else either (bil tried to give him frosting the other day!! )

Jen
#43 of 44 Old 03-22-2004, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MamaAllNatural
The issue here is not if someone feels or does not feel comfortable leaving their baby with the father. It is simply at what age did you feel comfortable leaving your baby. I was just curious to see how it might be different for more alternative mothers as opposed to more mainstream mothers.
I've been reading this thread, and wasn't sure if I wanted to respond. The way the question was phrased seemed to somehow imply that a 'natural' momma would not leave her child at an early age, like a mainstream momma would. In the post above, that feeling seems to be reiterated .

now, for my reponses: I went back to work full-time when dd was less than 3 months old. (or actually, more than full-time) I started working part-time this summer, when dd was 20 months.

Doesn't mean I was comfortable with it. It was the right thing for my family.

dh has been with her the rest of the time. I think the first time we left her with my family is when she was about a year old. Just didn't feel like we could have a good time doing something away from her. She's getting to 2.5, and has only been with us, or my parents or sisters. She is actually going to spend half the day on wednesday with a friend of mine, who has a daughter the same age - so that's a big milestone for us.

She first started having solids around 7 months. I pumped at work for over a year (sometimes 4 times a day) to make sure she had enough in the freezer when I was at work. She still nurses a lot when I'm home.

anyway, sorry for this long and kind of rambly response. I guess I just felt like maybe I shouldn't reply to this thread.. But I definitely don't consider myself a mainstream momma, even though I "left" her at 12 weeks to go back to work.
#44 of 44 Old 03-22-2004, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Chi Chi mama,

I'm glad you replied. The reason I was curious is because I was at some parenting.com type place and it had a poll of when you first left your baby. I had a feeling it would be different here and it is. It was completely out of curiosity. Or maybe also because some people think I'm a freak that I haven't left my 7 month old baby before.:LOL So also I did want to know that I wasn't the only one in the world.

The food part is just because the mainstream media pushes so hard for early introduction to solids. I wanted to see when mamas that are not mainstream feed their babies. I definately think natural mamas wait a lot longer to introduce solids. I hope it's been as interesting to read this to everyone else as it has been to me. Please, don't be afraid! Reply!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page