At what age did you first...? (survey) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 03-12-2004, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curious to see how much of a difference there is between mainstream mamas and more natural mamas. I wanted to find out at which age you a)first left your baby (i.e. for a date, dinner, running errands, etc.) and b) first introduced solid foods. This is of course only for my own personal curiosity but I'd really love if you'd all participate. Thanks!

I'll go first (of course!):

Baby # 1 : I first left him @ 3 months and first introduced solids @ 5 months

Baby #2: I first left her @ 8 months & introduced solids @ almost a year

Baby #3: Still haven't left him (he's 6 1/2 months old) and don't plan on doing it for quite a while & I plan on waiting til closer to a year for solids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 44 Old 03-12-2004, 01:54 PM

#1 i left her around 18 months when i started working part time,introduced solids at 12 months

#2 left him around 24 months and solids at 8 months(he showed way more interest in food then #1)

#3 started around 20 months so i could go to the gym for an hour a day and introduced solids around 9 months.

I have always been super attached to my kids and i am stay at home with a very busy dad who isn't around much.With solids i let the kids tell me when they are ready.
#3 of 44 Old 03-12-2004, 01:54 PM

When she was about 6 months old we left her with mil for about 20 minutes. She never took bottles so we didn't leave her for long. The first time she stayed with with anyone for a longer amount of time, about 1.5 hours, was when she was 14 months old on our anniversary.
We started solids a few days before she turned 6 months.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#4 of 44 Old 03-12-2004, 02:00 PM

Well, I only have one so far:

When he was 6 months old, I left him with my mom while dh and I went out for a quick 1 hour dinner. I was 5 minutes from our house. Previous to that I had left him with dh for 20 minutes or so while I ran to the store or something like that.

I let him try rice cereal mixed with breastmilk when he was about 6 months old. At first he liked it, and then refused all solids. He didn't want any again until 8.5 months (also when his first tooth appeared), and they weren't a real part of his diet until 1yo.
#5 of 44 Old 03-12-2004, 02:11 PM

We have one dd

First time we left her was at 11 months for half hour then at 18 months for the length of a theatre movie. We are just now starting to take longer breaks away such as 4 or 5 hours. She is now 28 months.

First time I fed her solids was at 10 months, just a sample of yam, she didn't really start eating aggressively until she was about 18 months....Booby milk til then and still.
#6 of 44 Old 03-12-2004, 02:44 PM

DD#1 I left for a couple hours at 3 months, I think she got solids for the first time (rice cereal) at 4-5 months.

DD#2 I left for the first time at 5 months, solids at 6 months.

DS#1(or 3?) I left for the first time at 6 months, solids at 6 months.

DS#2 I still haven't left. He's about to turn 9 months old. I am going back to school at the end of this month and I am able to take all but my biology class online so 2 days a week I have to be away from home. I'm nervous. I've just started giving him bits of solids to get him used to something other than mommy milk so maybe he'll be ok while I'm gone.
#7 of 44 Old 03-12-2004, 03:09 PM

I first left my babe at 18 months, with my mom while I got a haircut. In fact the hairdresser, whom I knew from high school didn't believe I had a babe because I didn't have his picture in my wallet!! I try to explain that I take him everywhere! It was kind of funny!

He's 22 months now and only been left a handful of times with either my Mom or dh.

Solids at 6 months because of dh's insistence, but ds wasn't ready and it was more like 8 months before he really wanted food, that was also when he got his first tooth.

Interesting to read this thread.
#8 of 44 Old 03-12-2004, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

WildCrafter, it's funny that you brought up the pictures in the wallet. I have my wallet jam packed with pictures of my kids but have never actually had the opportunity to show them to anyone because my kids are always with me!:LOL

Thanks so much for posting ladies. I hope more will continue to do the same. I find it interesting to read too. I'd say our average of the "when"s is at least triple that of the average American mother.

Do you all find a certain pressure from friends, family and so called "experts" to leave the baby at a really young age? I know that even with baby #2 who I first left at eight months, I was just down the street for a couple of hours but it still didn't feel "right" to me and I didn't leave her again for a long time. It was my birthday and everyone was telling me that me and my husband "needed" to go out and have fun. You can't really have fun when you're worried about the baby anyway though!:

With my current baby (who is 6 1/2 months) I don't feel ready to leave him at all yet and I'm not going to let anyone pressure me this time. I'll leave him when we're both good and ready!
#9 of 44 Old 03-12-2004, 04:24 PM

what do you count as leaving the baby? w/ dp or someone else?

I first left ds alone w/ dh when he was 10 days old, for 3 hrs while I had a root canal . Then not again until he was 3 mos old and I went back to work very part time. He would stay w/ dh for 2-4 hours once a week.

I started leaving him w/ my mom for 3-6 hours once a week when he was about 15 mos. Oh, I left him w/ my dad for 1 1/2 hours once when he was about 10 mos.... I still hate leaving him w/ anyone other than dh.

We did solids at around 6 or 7 mos
#10 of 44 Old 03-12-2004, 04:25 PM

This thread is making me feel much better!! I have only left ds with dh twice and not til he was 9 months old, only gone one nursing interval. I didn't even run to the store 5 min away til ds was almost a year. I still have never left him in the care of anyone other than dh. I'm trying now to find a sitter who will come watch him while I do a couple hours of work on the computer at home.
My mom said to me once when he was about 6 months, 'You need to get out once in a while.' At that point I still had no desire to leave him for any length of time at all. It's only in the last month that I can finally say I do feel that I need to get away now and then without him. He's 15 months old.
I still wouldn't leave him overnight, he nurses too much at night to go for that!

I offered him a taste of solids at 5 months and he wasn't impressed, after a few weeks he'd had enough and didn't gain real interest in solids again til he was able to pick up food on his own at around 10 months.
#11 of 44 Old 03-12-2004, 06:46 PM

just a few days ago, and she just turned one today. we did leave her for a very short period (less than 1/2 hour) with grandma when she was about 5 months old...but the only real extended time was a few days ago. we left her with grandma for 3 hours while we went and saw a movie. it was nice...but weird!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#12 of 44 Old 03-12-2004, 07:45 PM

With both girls I left them for the first time around 6 months. Both times we were within 5 miles of my mom's house with our cell phone.

My first had her first taste of solids at 4 months but didn't "really" eat them until closer to 8 or 9 months.

My second grabbed a banana out of my hand at 5 1/2 months and occasionally nibbled on solids until 9 or 10 months when it became a regular thing.
#13 of 44 Old 03-12-2004, 07:46 PM

#14 of 44 Old 03-12-2004, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Gus'sMama, I do mean just leaving the baby with anyone besides yourself. Sorry to hear about your root canal BTDT. Hated it! (and the guy who did it was mean to me on top of it!)

VelcroMama, I'm glad this thread is making you feel better. I feel the same as you with my baby - If I don't have to leave him and I don't want to leave him, why should I? So, (with him being my third and last) I'm not going to until I'm good and ready. Besides, having a five year old and a three year old I know a time comes when you actually REALLY WANT to get away from them! So, I figure let's just let a good thing last while it can.
:LOL
#15 of 44 Old 03-12-2004, 09:10 PM

I don't really remember with my older two, but with my younger two I know I did wait a little bit longer (6 months or so). I never gave them baby food either, they had whatever we had. I did try the rice cereal with my older son, but he didn't like it. I never gave it to my younger son.

Sadly my first spent her second week of life with her paternal grandmother because I was too sick to care for her. I don't remember how old my second child was when I first left her. My two sons were almost never left with anyone for very long when they were infants because the first time I tried with my older son he screamed the whole time I was gone because he was hungry and wouldn't take a bottle of BM, and with my younger son he never had a bottle.
#16 of 44 Old 03-14-2004, 03:00 PM

I first left dd #1 at past a year old... she pretty much went everywhere with us. I had to take small separations with my dd #2 since about 6 months due to various situations...

I first introduced solid foods with DD #1 at 6 months, she hated it, and started up again at 9 months when she showed interest. With my second DD I started at about 7 months and she was much mroe enthusiastic about it so I just let it go with the flow...
#17 of 44 Old 03-15-2004, 03:04 PM

The first time I left Eli he was about 7 weeks old. Mike and I went to see The Two Towers and went straight back to him. ("Would you like to get something to eat?" "No, grab a sub at Wawa and hurry up, I want to nurse!") I actually pumped twice during the movie, once when Eli would have nursed and once when a baby started crying in the film and my milk let down. :LOL

He first had solid food at 5.5 months, and that was with me doing everything I could to hold him off. Finally I gave him a turkey bone which I dipped in my chicken soup so it would have a flavor. He loved it .

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#18 of 44 Old 03-15-2004, 03:33 PM

Dd is 10 months and she has gone everywhere I have. I do leave her occassionally to check the mail which is about a 5 minute walk but that's the extent of it. She started solids at 6 months beacuse she was very interested but she rarely had them more than 1 or 2 times a week. We are only just now getting to where she eats dinner with us every night. Her interest has definately grown now that she can feed herself.
#19 of 44 Old 03-15-2004, 08:07 PM

We only have one little one so far. She's 20 months.

DD was over 12 months before she was separated from me. DH took her out to the grocery store for an hour. Since then, she has stayed w/ DH for a couple of hours on occasion and w/ my mom for a couple of hours. She's never freaked out w/ those separations. I strongly feel that was b/c we waited to leave her and only left her w/ ppl she saw all the time and was completely comfortable w/. She does still rush right into my arms when I return, though.

We introduced solids at 6 months. DH was just too excited to try it. She got a taste of banana and seemed interested. After that thouhgh, until about 11 months, she refused more than a tiny taste of solid foods. After 11 months, she rapidly went from eating some "baby food" to finger foods and self feeding. Now she'll eating anything that isn't nailed down and can't run away. :LOL
#20 of 44 Old 03-16-2004, 05:52 PM

a)first left your baby (i.e. for a date, dinner, running errands, etc.)
#1 & #2 started back at the health club at 6 weeks, brought them with and checked them in the nursery. Went back to work at 3 1/2 months

b) first introduced solid foods.

4 months gave a taste and then waited until closer to 5 1/2 months with #1

#2 waited 6 months and she really didn't eat anything until 10 1/2 months
#21 of 44 Old 03-16-2004, 08:06 PM

I left dd at around 6 months with my mom while my husband and I went to dinner. About 2 hours.

I started her on solids a little past 6 months.
#22 of 44 Old 03-16-2004, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lets see, probably around 6 months. I know with Lilyka it was reallly early. MAybey 8 weeks or so. We had to go to a baby's funeral and it didn't seem right to flaunt our healthy newborn and it didn't seem right not to go.

I started solids with all them at 5 months. With my first it was just pressure and with the other two they both went on medication at that time and a little aple sauce just seemed like the easiest mode of transprtaion. Lily was very ready for solids (she would help herself to whatever she could get her hands on ) and Ava seemed pretty ready too. They were all showing signs of readiness.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#23 of 44 Old 03-16-2004, 09:22 PM

I only have one child so far...

I first left DS when he was 6 weeks old, but not by choice. I had to have emergency surgery and really wanted DH to be there with me so DS stayed with my parents for the night.

DS started solids at 4 mos. I let him decided when he wanted to start solids and at 4 mos he was around 18 lbs and breastmilk didn't seem to be filling him up anymore. He was really showing an interest in food so I let him try it out and voila! He's been a little piggy ever since!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#24 of 44 Old 03-17-2004, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dd is now 18 months and we still haven't left her. She started eating solids around 9.5 months.

sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#25 of 44 Old 03-17-2004, 10:22 AM

1st left DD at 2 weeks. I was in school, and not going would've meant losing my grant and getting no master's (which I'm going to need for my someday job). She easily took bottles of EBM, was with my mom and DH, and mostly slept. It was a few hours a week (about 4.5).

As for solids, we tried at 6 months, but not much. We really started at a year.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#26 of 44 Old 03-17-2004, 08:34 PM

Well - I should preface that I did not come into the "AP" way of parenting until DS was over a year old so I will probably sound like 'on of those' moms....but....

I left DS when he was about 5-6 days old to go to the movies with my DH - I HATED it the entire time, but DS actually slept the whole time we were gone... He was introduced to solids at around 3.5 months - but not again until about 5 months when her really liked it and ate it ever since then.

DD was a little bit of a different story - I left her at around 3-4 months old with DH to go out with friends...He is a very hands on and loving father and did great with her - although she REALLY wanted to nurse and was upset I wasn't there. She was introduced to solids at around 6-7 months but didn't really eat solid food until she was about 11-12 months old....

I feel I am VERY attached to my children - but at the same time I have not issues *at all* with leaving them with their father (my DH) so I can take some time alone. IMO he is just as good as being with me (except for the lack of breasts) so I have never felt uneasy about leaving them with him. I also have no problems leaving them with my IL's who are VERY involved with our family and very much on target with how we parent - aside from my DH and I no ones loves our children more then them.

As much as I love taking my kids places and doing things as a family - I also LOVE and CHERISH my time alone with Dh or my montly Mom's Night Outs.....I see nothing wrong with taking a few hours here and there to focus on just yourself!

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
#27 of 44 Old 03-17-2004, 09:00 PM

Quote:
As much as I love taking my kids places and doing things as a family - I also LOVE and CHERISH my time alone with Dh or my montly Mom's Night Outs.....I see nothing wrong with taking a few hours here and there to focus on just yourself
I think part of being an AP is taking care of oneself . . .just not at the expense of one's children. Sounds like you found a good way of making sure everyone's needs are met!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#28 of 44 Old 03-18-2004, 04:44 AM

I first left my baby at 6 weeks. [She was actually just across the street at my sister's to give us some alone time.] I didn't leave her again until she was 5 months but that was because I had to be hospitalized with gallbladder problems. [Definately no choice of mine!] She's almost 7 months now, and slowly I've been letting her taste food but all of her meals are breastmilk. She's never eaten more than a table spoon of anything else at one time.

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#29 of 44 Old 03-18-2004, 06:23 AM

Quote:
I'm just curious to see how much of a difference there is between mainstream mamas and more natural mamas. I wanted to find out at which age you a)first left your baby (i.e. for a date, dinner, running errands, etc.) and b) first introduced solid foods. This is of course only for my own personal curiosity but I'd really love if you'd all participate.
a) 1 1/2 months (to attend my brother's wedding. i left him for 2 1/2 days with his daddy )

b) 4 months. he cut his tooth right at 4 months also, but we mainly introduced them because he was always *so* voracious he was eating constantly.

were those the only questions you could think of?

*~* edited because i'm so tired i'm not paying attention to what i'm writing. (added the QUOTE's)
#30 of 44 Old 03-18-2004, 11:45 PM

First left with someone else, besides me or DH ... about 1 year?
First gave solid foods ... 6 months old; first gave three meals of solid food a day consistently, 18 months.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page