Newborn and Blister on Lip, Please Help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-19-2010, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2 week old has a small blister on the top middle of his lip. He got it a few days after birth and I assumed it was because we had not gotten the hang of a good latch at that point. I canceled my lactation appt because I thought we had the hang of BF'ing as I have a good milk supply and he is latching well (I assume since I have no pain and his mouth is open pretty wide). Now the blister is starting to get hard, like a callous on his lip. I don't know if this is normal as it is my first time BF'ing.... Any advice?!?

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

#2 of 13 Old 06-19-2010, 10:45 PM

congrats sweetie!!!

so are we thinking cold sore or just blister? is it interferring with the nursing?

if its not interferring i would probably leave it alone and hope it goes away....

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#3 of 13 Old 06-19-2010, 11:24 PM

my baby also developed the same thing. I'm pretty sure it just goes away on its own as it doesn't seem to bother her in the slightest. IIRC its just the lips getting used to the nursing.

Emy, mama to Kate (3/07) and Samantha (4/10)
#4 of 13 Old 06-19-2010, 11:49 PM

I agree - I wouldn't worry about it. My son had them really bad when he was first born - it looked like his lips were chapped. They would get hard, peel, then form again. Gradually they went away. He's 3 mo now and doesn't have them at all.
#5 of 13 Old 06-20-2010, 12:47 AM

my babies had the same thing. it sounds like a callus type thing. it would always peel off a couple of times then it would be fine. just skin getting used to be used.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#6 of 13 Old 06-20-2010, 12:49 AM

All three of my kids got a nursing callous in the middle of their upper lip. It would peel and reform, but eventually went away. Unless it seems to be causing him pain, or affecting his latch/your comfort I don't think it's a big deal.

And Congrats on your new little one!

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#7 of 13 Old 06-20-2010, 12:51 AM

Just make sure at each feed that you flair the top lip out just like the bottom so that it dosnt get sucked on. My dd had one and I checked every time to make sure it was out.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#8 of 13 Old 06-20-2010, 01:58 AM

My older DD had one like that and I asked at her dr appt about it. He said it would go away when she was done breastfeeding. You know, a few years later he was right, lol!
She always had it at least off and on.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#9 of 13 Old 06-20-2010, 02:00 AM
2xy

I don't remember if DS2 had a nursing blister, but DS1 had one. I never thought twice about it, to be honest. Nor did I mess with his lips while he was nursing. It went away by itself after a time.
#10 of 13 Old 06-20-2010, 05:02 AM

This is called a breastfeeding or nursing blister, it actually comes from a tight top lip frenulum if it's bad and interferring with nursing you can clip it, if not as a pp mentioned make sure to turn the top lip out when baby is latching on.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#11 of 13 Old 06-20-2010, 09:31 AM

My son had one on and off for the first several weeks too - didn't bother him or me at all and once his lips got used to nursing it stopped reappearing. My understanding is that it's very normal and really nothing to worry about - I doubt clipping is recommended in any but the rarest cases where it's actually a sign (amongst others) of something being up. As long as he's feeding/gaining fine and it's not bothering him I wouldn't worry about it.
#12 of 13 Old 06-21-2010, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses. It is not bothering him and his latch is good so I think I will just let it be. Good to know my child is not the only one with this issue

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

#13 of 13 Old 06-21-2010, 08:51 PM

It's totally normal and a sign of good feeding. It eventually goes away... no need to worry!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page