Is it possible that my milk is lacking hindmilk, even after I've worked through a suspected foremilk/hindmilk imbalance? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2010, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've worked with a LC on a possible foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, which didn't help things, so I've recently been DF and SF (off and on for weeks, but very serious about it--even removed anything with "possible" or trace amounts---for 2 weeks) and am seeing no improvements. I was encouraged by one yellow, normal diaper last week, but have since been back to nothing but greenish, watery, sometimes mucousy diapers, without many seeds.

So the lack of seeds in DS' poop has me thinking (and bear with me if this is a totally out-there thought), could the "right" amount of hindmilk simply be absent in my breast milk? And can the fat a nursing mother eats in her diet affect her milk?

When I was working with the LC, she suggested that I pump or hand express a bit of milk before latching baby on. When I did that, the milk I pumped that was suspected to be so full of foremilk was actually pretty creamy. So she didn't think that was the source of the problem, and rather moved on to altering my diet, but we're so far not seeing any improvements.

Now I'm back to suspecting the whole foremilk/hindmilk balance. I'm concerned about the gassiness of DS, the green/watery/mucousy diapers, but this lack of seediness has me wondering.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 05:13 PM

Your milk is not lacking hindmilk.

When I went off dairy and soy, DD's poops stopped having "seeds" in them. They were otherwise normal poops, and her other symptoms disappeared, so I was satisfied with the results and continued being dairy-free and soy-free.

Is the LC you are seeing an IBCLC? Why did she suggest that you pump a little before feeding - are you dealing with forceful letdown?

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 06-24-2010, 05:18 PM

The mucous sounds like intestinal distress, DD's poop was never seedy (we had dairy/soy/egg issues as well) but she gained really well, so I'm sure she was getting enough fat. Do you happen to have any gluten intolerances in the family? That is the other big one that might be worth it to try, did you notice any difference off of the dairy and soy? If you didn't, you could try going back on dairy and soy and cutting out gluten for a couple of days and see if that makes a difference.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
Old 06-24-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
are you dealing with forceful letdown?
this.

nak
Old 06-24-2010, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

I did have OAL during the first few weeks (he's 4 mo now) but I really don't think it's a problem any longer. DS doesn't seem to choke or sputter at the breast like he did in the early days, and there isn't a lot of milk leaking out of his mouth while he's nursing. Also, I used to take him off the breast when I felt like it was just too much for him, and let the overflow into a rag, but that isn't necessary any more.

So to answer the question, no, I don't think OAL is an issue. But perhaps I'm missing some other signs/symptoms that indicate that it is?

Also, I always understood the seeds to be a good sign that babe was getting enough hindmilk, but not always true? As you other mamas have noted, your babes didn't have seeds but were obviously growing well and satisfied after feedings?
Old 06-24-2010, 06:49 PM

Mine is 9 weeks and has never had seeds. I fought OALD and over supply and soy/dairy sensitivity. Now he has orange/yellow breastmilk poops, but never a seed. He is growing right on track too.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:16 PM

My baby was 18 pounds at 4.5 months adjusted age even after months of no seeds. Don't focus on the seeds, because while they are "normal", it's not a problem when the seeds aren't there.

You may still have OALD that has been handled well by your son. Can you try block feeding for a couple of days and see what his stools look like then?

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 06-26-2010, 03:08 AM

Yeah, DD never had a problem gaining with no seeds, and I was inspecting her poos a lot because of her allergies. She was 20lbs at 4mo, 24lbs at 6mo and 32lbs at 12mo (she was 99% EBF to 11mo.)

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
Old 06-30-2010, 08:48 PM

I am dealing with some of the same issues except now some blood has been present in very small amounts.

My LC that I have been talking to now suspects it may be foremilk/hindmilk imbalance still. She wants me to pump againg thru first let down. I am so confused by all this.

OP, I would like to know how things are going for you and what has helped you.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:50 AM

My babe never had seedy poop. And *gasp* his poop was green, not yellow. He was happy, he gained weight like a champ, and he was thriving.
I really think too much stress is put on how the baby's poop looks. Look at your baby. Is your baby growing? Is your baby content? Those are the things that matter, not the color and texture of the poop.

User Tag List