Do you cover up while breastfeeding? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 90 Old 07-06-2010, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess I am the weirdo here. I always use a cover, even in front of family. DS likes to have a sip, then look at me and squeal. Repeat repeat repeat.

I am not embarrassed of breastfeeding. Before I was nursing, I kept my breasts covered. To me, they are private parts. Just because they are now being used for their intended purpose doesn't make them any less private. Just my personal feeling on things.

I have a close friend that has nursed 3 babies well past infancy and never used a cover. That baffles me. I would absolutely go into full blown panic attack mode if I thought people could see my boob hanging out.
#62 of 90 Old 07-06-2010, 02:20 PM

Gimme: that is a good point - I don't let my boobs just hang out everywhere. Partly because they are private, and partly because that's just physically uncomfortable.

However, I have no problem seeing another mom completely uncovered. Covering or uncovered, it is not shameful to BF, and I think furthers the spreading of normalcy.

If I am sitting with another breastfeeding mama, I tend to follow what she does; if she covers, I do, if she's not covered, neither do I, because I don't want her to think (if she's covered) that I'm nursing uncovered to show off, or that I think she should also be brave enough to. and If she is uncovered, I wouldn't cover because it might make it seem that I think she ought to be covered. That and if she is comfortable in front of me, I want to respect that and show I am likewise comfortable.

Don't know if that rambling made any sense . . . but I tried!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#63 of 90 Old 07-06-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post
Gimme: that is a good point - I don't let my boobs just hang out everywhere. Partly because they are private, and partly because that's just physically uncomfortable.

However, I have no problem seeing another mom completely uncovered. Covering or uncovered, it is not shameful to BF, and I think furthers the spreading of normalcy.

If I am sitting with another breastfeeding mama, I tend to follow what she does; if she covers, I do, if she's not covered, neither do I, because I don't want her to think (if she's covered) that I'm nursing uncovered to show off, or that I think she should also be brave enough to. and If she is uncovered, I wouldn't cover because it might make it seem that I think she ought to be covered. That and if she is comfortable in front of me, I want to respect that and show I am likewise comfortable.

Don't know if that rambling made any sense . . . but I tried!
I think if I was with another nursing mom, I would follow her lead. Depends on who it was. But pretty much my mom is the only one that I won't cover in front of.

I think because of the way my son nurses, it just seems impossible to be discreet. But if your babe stays latched it is probably easier. Mine just wants to look around and squeal. It's almost like he's screaming "LOOK OVER HERE! I'm nursing and it's AWESOME!!"
#64 of 90 Old 07-06-2010, 04:04 PM

I don't use a cover, but I would never judge a mama who does. What matters to me is that a baby gets breastmilk, whether it is under a cover or not, by breast or bottle. Whatever works for you and your baby and makes you both comfortable.
#65 of 90 Old 07-06-2010, 04:19 PM

I don't use a cover, but have covered with a blanket if it is very cold, very sunny, or if I think it might help the baby focus on the task at hand or fall asleep. Where I live very few women nurse in public, and most that do cover up. I am not particularly modest about my body, and I like to promote breastfeeding in public by doing it whenever I like.
#66 of 90 Old 07-06-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
Because it seems appropriate here.

This is a video I made when DD was 10 months old showing how we NIP'd. I'm pretty conservative and don't really want the general public seeing my breasts or flabby belly and I still choose not to cover. They aren't mutually exclusive. That said, if a mama is more comfortable nursing with a cover, then she should do what makes her comfortable with no shame.
Tee-hee! Great idea, but I have to hold my baby up to reach my breasts. My breasts aren't big enough for him to nurse while lying on my lap unless I bend way over, which is uncomfortable.
#67 of 90 Old 07-06-2010, 04:42 PM

No cover here. As others have said, I think a cover just draws more attention.

When my babes are at the distractable stage I tend to keep my free hand close by to pull my shirt down to avoid too much unintended nipple flashing. And I find a nursing tank is a must. Would much rather have someone see my nipple than my belly

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#68 of 90 Old 07-06-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme Pineapple View Post
I guess I am the weirdo here. I always use a cover, even in front of family. DS likes to have a sip, then look at me and squeal. Repeat repeat repeat.

I am not embarrassed of breastfeeding. Before I was nursing, I kept my breasts covered. To me, they are private parts. Just because they are now being used for their intended purpose doesn't make them any less private. Just my personal feeling on things.

I have a close friend that has nursed 3 babies well past infancy and never used a cover. That baffles me. I would absolutely go into full blown panic attack mode if I thought people could see my boob hanging out.
Same here. I just don't see how it's done discreetly without a cover. I mean, apparently it can be, but I could never grasp the idea of BF'ing without a cover. It kept DS#2 focused and I can also focus on my other DS as well.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#69 of 90 Old 07-06-2010, 11:44 PM

Funny, I have friends from England. My friend wanted to me to meet her family and they were in town for a couple weeks. I wanted to be a part of the conversation, but LO was small and would nurse forever. So, because her husband was sitting next to me, I got out my cover and started to nurse. She asked me, "What is that?" "Why would you use a cover?"

That moment was so great for me because I am modest, and felt I had to use a cover in public. But, through just her comments, I learned that breastfeeding itself is not seen as immodest in a country with similar living standards as America. So, its just our American culture that makes us feel like its immodest to breastfeed a baby coverless.

Pretty much from then on, I never used the cover. It was always awkward and my LO didn't like it either. Yeah, I have seen people be unhappy about me breastfeeding in public, but I feel like I must because if nobody breastfeeds in public then less people are exposed to breastfeeding and less people will breastfeed.

Though I say this and most of the time I've had to find an out of the way spot just because my LO is to busy and way to distracted to nurse in public, cover or not. He's 1 year old now.
#70 of 90 Old 07-06-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
Same here. I just don't see how it's done discreetly without a cover. I mean, apparently it can be, but I could never grasp the idea of BF'ing without a cover. It kept DS#2 focused and I can also focus on my other DS as well.
I think some women can definitely nurse discretely without using a cover. I was not one of them, but I still didn't use a cover . Nothing discrete about it when I was breastfeeding. But, since I sort of think it's weird that breasts are considered private things in our culture, the lack of ability to nurse discretely never stopped me.
#71 of 90 Old 07-07-2010, 12:15 AM

No cover. And I nurse toddlers wherever and whenever too Ds is 2 now and still nurses everywhere.

And andlee- I've nursed in public in Waco Some restaurant... we were passing through....

-Angela
#72 of 90 Old 07-08-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karika View Post
never. a cover up only adds to the thought that breastfeeding is something to be ashamed of or hidden. It is feeding a child and the more people see it as normal, the better the future of human life.

I disagree with the bold. Using a cover doesn't always mean that. Sometimes a distractible baby can't be nursed in public without one. Sometimes I used one in the early months when I had stripper/firehose boobs to keep from accidentially squirting someone nearby.

In answer to the OP, I did occasionally use one for the reasons I stated above. Most of the time I didn't. I think that if you feel the need to use one, there's no shame in it. I'd rather see a mother nurse a baby with a cover than not nurse at all due to shyness or whatever.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#73 of 90 Old 07-08-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinhead View Post
I disagree with the bold. Using a cover doesn't always mean that. Sometimes a distractible baby can't be nursed in public without one. Sometimes I used one in the early months when I had stripper/firehose boobs to keep from accidentially squirting someone nearby.

In answer to the OP, I did occasionally use one for the reasons I stated above. Most of the time I didn't. I think that if you feel the need to use one, there's no shame in it. I'd rather see a mother nurse a baby with a cover than not nurse at all due to shyness or whatever.

i agree. it's about comfort for baby and mother. there is no shame in breastfeeding and covering isn't always about a mother feeling shy.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#74 of 90 Old 07-08-2010, 06:34 PM

I used a cover in the office when nursing, since it just did not feel right nursing in the open in front of all my male colleagues. And I do take great care to cover up the back fat/side fat/tummy fat that might be showing when I am nursing. I usually carry a wrap (baby carrier) with me, so would just drape that around the offending fat areas before nursing. The boob, not so much.

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
#75 of 90 Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 PM

Good quest. OP.
I use a receiving blanket when nurisng in public.
Unless were at the beach or something like that.

I might not use a cover if my clothes were more nursing friendly, but I'm usually wearing something that would display myself way more than I would like.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#76 of 90 Old 07-10-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme Pineapple View Post
Mine just wants to look around and squeal. It's almost like he's screaming "LOOK OVER HERE! I'm nursing and it's AWESOME!!"
LOL This is my DS!

I dont cover though. Partly bc I hate the idea that I 'should', and partly bc it would just make DS mad if he couldnt see.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#77 of 90 Old 07-10-2010, 08:09 PM

I never covered, but I know many, many women here who cover to nurse even in semi-private spaces and even if it's just women around.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#78 of 90 Old 07-11-2010, 02:55 AM

I was at the library today and DS started fussing. I hadn't brought his diaper bag in, thought about this thread and didn't cover. It was liberating, but I didn't like my boob hanging out I think it's because they're so much bigger now than pre-pregnancy, and seem way out there.

New mom to Benjamin! 4.8.10.
#79 of 90 Old 07-11-2010, 10:21 PM

I did when my baby was itty bitty for a while because my mom was thoroughly freaked that I wanted to just nurse. Now I do not cover up, but I do try to be discreet and it is much easier now. I have never had a bad comment, just some weird stares, nothing too bad at all! I was so prepared with comebacks for the nasty comments, too! lol. Don't worry about it, the majority of people do not mind one bit.
#80 of 90 Old 07-11-2010, 10:54 PM

I cover when nursing in public. Now that my DD is over 12 months I rarely nurse in public because I can give her solids instead, and it bugs my DH. I honestly don't have an issue with others uncovering and am so happy when I see other women nursing in public and I will nurse uncovered if there are only women around but as someone who keeps hair, knees, elbows, etc covered in front of men breasts definitely need to be covered no matter what their use.

I will breastfeed in public which a lot of women (religous and not) where I live won't. Most women here seem to bring bottles everywhere, with either formula or pumped milk, which makes me sad.

Wig wearing mommy to (06/12/09) 
#81 of 90 Old 07-11-2010, 11:02 PM

I don't cover up in front of family (my parents, sis, bro-in-law) or my close friends, but I generally do in public or with people I don't know as well. Even though I live in a city where people are very open-minded and breastfeeding is widespread and very accepted, I still feel like it's my personal choice and I don't want to expose very private part of myself in front of people who may be uncomfortable.

I honestly don't think anyone would ever say anything, and I'd probably be really upset if they did, but I feel better keeping DD and my private moment private. That said, though, I'm never uncomfortable when DD wriggles around and pops a boob out for all to see now and then. So I guess it's not so much feeling shy as feeling the breastfeeding experience should be shared only with the people closest to me.

Woman, Wife, Mom to beautiful DD (10/14/09), Copywriter, occasionally tearing my hair out but usually pretty happy about it all
#82 of 90 Old 07-11-2010, 11:58 PM

No, absolutely never, under any circumstances.
#83 of 90 Old 07-12-2010, 12:15 AM

Nope! I feel comfortable nursing in public and received many positive comments over the past two and a half years. Only once did something odd happen - dp's dad handed a blanket to me when I was nursing dd at their house a couple of months ago...this is after he has seen me nursing in various locations for like, two years already, but I assumed he thought we were cold or something, and covered my legs with the blanket and thanked him for being thoughtful. I'm pretty discreet though anyway. I always wear a tanktop under my shirt, so my shirt goes up and the top of the tanktop goes down, and the exposed breast is covered by dd...it's really not a big deal and not much to see. I would feel awkward about having my giant stomach hang out, thus the tanktops!

Katie
#84 of 90 Old 07-12-2010, 01:42 AM

I use a cover unless I am with only close lady friends or my husband or mum, but I am also pretty modest in general. I feel strongly that breasts are private, no matter their use, and my lo likes to squirm and has actve hands while nursing, so just using my shirt for coverage doesn't work. My friends also use covers in public, though one decided to bottle feed in public, and nurse only at home.
#85 of 90 Old 07-12-2010, 04:23 AM

Nope. I'm VERY modest normally, but not at all when it comes to breastfeeding.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#86 of 90 Old 07-12-2010, 10:06 AM

i don't cover up, but i can't really NIP, as i do have a distracted little one.. covering up wouldn't help the distraction factor, either. the one time i tried that, the cover was pulled off and waved around in the air.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#87 of 90 Old 07-12-2010, 10:27 AM

Nope. I've never gotten bad comments, but some of my friends do seem embarrassed by it and don't stick around. Thats ok, b/c then I can play games with my LO while he nurses!
#88 of 90 Old 07-12-2010, 04:27 PM

Never have. I wear a tank under a shirt most of the time and so you don't see anything. but even when I dont have 2 layers i don't. The US is nuts with that stuff though. Not the people who cover due to their own modesty and comfort levels or squirmy lo ( I do not mean to offend anyone who covers) but the fact that other people actually think it is something that needs to be done if you dare to nurse in public.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#89 of 90 Old 07-12-2010, 04:43 PM

I never did unless I was in church ... and even then just used a Maya wrap to block side view but left the top open. Poor babe has to breathe!

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#90 of 90 Old 07-12-2010, 05:10 PM

NO.
when I first moved to AZ there were 2 big local issues - a woman at a pool was asked to leave for nursing, and a woman was harrassed on a Phoenix-bound flight for the same thing. I swore that if I had kids, I would BF in public because people had to get used to it.

When I nurse, I am usually pretty discrete just from personal preference - I favor a nursing tank under a T shirt, so most of me is still covered. But I will not use a nursing cover. I have one and hate it. It feels so wrong.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page