Do you cover up while breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 90 Old 07-01-2010, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in England and am visiting my family in America. I'm surprised to see everyone covering up while nursing. They even sell special cover up cloths! Is it the done thing here? Or maybe these people have distractable babies?

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
#2 of 90 Old 07-01-2010, 07:50 PM

i cover up when I nurse, but I'm new to NIP and am trying to get comfortable with it. I also live in Texas, where people tend to be more conservative. I think in other parts of the country it would be no big deal at all, but here nursing is not that prolific.

New mom to Benjamin! 4.8.10.
#3 of 90 Old 07-01-2010, 07:56 PM

I never covered up while nursing and also never noticed anyone staring or anything. I guess I just never wanted to bother lugging around a cover with the other million baby things that were in my bag! It just always seemed unnecessary

Jessica ~ SAHM to Julianne (5-19-07) & Jocelyn (8-10-08) #3 12-25-10
Wife to my best friend and love of my life
#4 of 90 Old 07-01-2010, 08:09 PM

Nope. Never.
#5 of 90 Old 07-01-2010, 08:34 PM

at first yeah. Then I realized using those monster covers just attract more attention to what your doing. no one can even tell unless their really looking, but I also am an under the shirt lift rather than an over the shirt, so that I think makes a difference. Unless in a carrier...

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#6 of 90 Old 07-01-2010, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
No, never have. I try to have my shirt cover the post-partum belly & rolls on my side, but I've never tried to cover my breast & nurslings.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#7 of 90 Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 PM

I've never used a cover, but I do have nursing shirts. Other than my sister, I've only ever seen mamas NIP with a cover around here, but that could just be because they are more noticeable.

Amy, wife to Paul 5/20/01, SAHM to Daniel 5/23/07, Claire 7/15/09, and Elaine 9/4/12

#8 of 90 Old 07-01-2010, 11:07 PM

Never ever ever.
#9 of 90 Old 07-01-2010, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not so much to cover up because I think I need to cover what I'm doing but more 'cause I'm self-conscious about my weight so I try to keep my skin covered.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#10 of 90 Old 07-01-2010, 11:13 PM

I'm not longer breastfeeding (my youngest weaned last year), but I never covered up. My two sons would not have had any part of it (and I tried a few times with DS1, because he was a very distractable nurser and preferred to nurse with no one around - but he would just scream and rip it off). DD probably wouldn't have cared, but I never bothered to. I've actually seen very few people nursing covered up.
#11 of 90 Old 07-01-2010, 11:13 PM

I covered with my newborns because I was still getting the hang of things. then I just cover it would make me feel more comfortable (if I'm wearing a not-very-bfing-friendly shirt for example). That's about 10% of the time I suppose.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#12 of 90 Old 07-01-2010, 11:22 PM

no, never. no one even knows im nursing most the time and ill walk around and nurse while shopping
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#13 of 90 Old 07-01-2010, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
when ds1 was a newborn (i was just 17yo myself) i covered up some, but after the first month or so i stopped covering. never covered with ds2.

i did make sure to keep my flabby gut covered, though, but the boob could hang out all it wanted for all i cared.

Bring back the old MDC
#14 of 90 Old 07-01-2010, 11:26 PM

I tried once when DD was very young, but it was such a PITA that I never did again. I needed extra hands to manage baby, boob, clothing and cover. Since the cover was the only optional part of that equation, it got ditched. I've only had one negative comment and I nursed everywhere all over the Southeast. (generally considered a pretty conservative area)

My personal theory is that the moms who NIP w/o covers are so matter of fact about it combines with the fact that almost no one expects to see a woman nursing (gasp) with out a cover (shock and horror) that the average person never sees the uncovered NIP-ing that's taking place right under their noses. Therefore people think covers are necessary, because surly NIP w/o one would cause a stir. They only see covered mamas nursing since a cover is a big sign shouting "NURSING HAPPENING HERE"

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#15 of 90 Old 07-01-2010, 11:32 PM

yes, I live in a small city that is conservatie and most ppl have covers, ev en at the mom and baby groups. I am one of the few who do not and I feel like the oddball, I do get stares. In my pervioous town on the opposite coast it was much mroe accepted.

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#16 of 90 Old 07-02-2010, 12:12 AM

I do not cover up....well I have with like the tail of my ring sling when I was nursing dd to sleep, but that was so she wasn't distracted and would go to sleep when she was much younger. Honestly most people here do, but I want to show moms that hey you can nurse discreetly without a giant cover thingy, and nursing is not something to be ashamed of!

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#17 of 90 Old 07-02-2010, 12:23 AM

It depends.

I do have a cover. I use it if we're somewhere potentially distracting (a mall, a lively party, an outdoors event) because it's otherwise impossible to get DS to stay on task! But I don't normally wear it. Especially if it's hot outside!
#18 of 90 Old 07-02-2010, 12:32 AM

Nope. No way.
#19 of 90 Old 07-02-2010, 12:43 AM

I'm pretty conservative/modest and don't want anyone seeing my breast except my husband (or a lactation consultant lol)

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#20 of 90 Old 07-02-2010, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
No, never. And I've never even gotten a look as far as I know.
#21 of 90 Old 07-02-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
I'm pretty conservative/modest and don't want anyone seeing my breast except my husband (or a lactation consultant lol)
I agree - and I DON'T cover. Ever.
#22 of 90 Old 07-02-2010, 01:08 AM

i've covered a few times to get a latch going in extremely crowded places, but after they latched, i just uncovered and pulled my shirt to cover skin. i say, if it makes YOU comfortable, cover or not. i usually don't cover to latch after they are a few weeks old because by then latching isn't an issue and they hate the cover. it's more distraction than just popping them on. oh, and if someone sees my boob, they are too damn close

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#23 of 90 Old 07-02-2010, 01:15 AM

never have, never will. i live in the states, fwiw, in new mexico.
#24 of 90 Old 07-02-2010, 01:31 AM

I wear a shirt that covers my belly. I can't stand having my flabby belly exposed.

I don't use a nursing cover. In the early days I needed to see. Now there is no chance DD would cooperate. I tried a couple of times with a blanket when DD hit the distraction phase and she absolutely refused to use it.

DD mostly covers my breast even though it is large. If people catch a glimpse here and there it just isn't the end of the world.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#25 of 90 Old 07-02-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulawoman View Post
yes, I live in a small city that is conservatie and most ppl have covers, ev en at the mom and baby groups.
Even people at the LLL cover here. You ladies inspire me though!

New mom to Benjamin! 4.8.10.
#26 of 90 Old 07-02-2010, 07:27 AM

No never, personally I think to cover up - unless the baby actually needs it to concentrate on the job in hand - still gives the impression that breastfeeding isn't normal and breasts are sexual objects, but then we're in europe and breasts aren't 'seen' in the same way as they are in the USA.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#27 of 90 Old 07-02-2010, 09:44 AM

Nope. Even if I wanted to, my breasts are large and require lots of support, especially in the early stages of breastfeeding. I couldn't manipulate the baby, the breast, and a cover.

But, I still wouldn't want to. I want to help normalize breastfeeding.

I have seen 2 women at LLL meetings (separate meetings) cover-up.

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

#28 of 90 Old 07-02-2010, 10:07 AM

Never.

But - I think covering is often a regional thing, a new-nursing thing and or a religious/conservative thing. Combine that with a consumer-driven culture that's sexualized breasts and you see a lot of covering.

I do have nursing clothing for when I feel the need to be really discreet. I just took my baby to a work outing and while I'm comfortable nursing in front of strangers and my friends, my male co-workers were another matter - that and it was questionable if the baby should have been there. But it was the baby or the breastpump and I thought the baby would be more fun.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#29 of 90 Old 07-02-2010, 10:29 AM

Depends.

I mostly wear nursing tanks. I have a few where covering would be redundant. They literally show NO skin (these, if anyone is interested).

Otherwise it sort of depends on where I am, who I'm with, who is around, and how I feel that day.

But I never completely cover. I usually sort of pull whatever carrier I'm using up over her body, up to maybe her chin. I'm not actually covering her head, or really hiding anything, but I imagine that it makes the people around me feel a bit better.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#30 of 90 Old 07-02-2010, 10:30 AM

I don't have a cover, but depending on what I'm wearing I try to cover up a little with a burp cloth or a blanket, but I only cover up my breast not my baby. He tends to get distracted while NIP, and puts my boob on display constantly. I try to be a little discreet. It's way too hot in Puerto Rico to cover babies, though I have seen moms do so. Nursing is natural. I don't know why people don't make a big deal how so many babies are being feed formula junk and celebrate/promote breastfeeding more(even extended breasfeeding- which makes some people uncomfortable or critical). Babies need to breastfeed often, no matter where they are! It's our right to feed our children the best!

Puerto Rican breastfeeding, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, baby food-making mama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page