Getting Baby Back To Breast - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 07-03-2010, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm nursing my 2 month old baby and finally got my domperidone in. Now, since using this, my baby is getting about 95% breastmilk, only one bottle of formula this week.

The problem is that she will only nurse for about five minutes on each side before getting extremely fussy and she wants the rest in a bottle. I'd like to get her back to the breast exclusively since it's taking all my time pumping it out for her then feeding it back to her in a bottle. I know I'm producing enough milk since I'm getting it from the pump, but I just don't know what to do. I've been trying the medela SNS that the LC gave me at the hospital and my daughter HATES it. She literally sees the thing coming and throws a fit. It took me 45 minutes to get in 1/2 ounce last night, we both had milk all over us, and I was about to have a come-apart. Any advice on what to do? I really want to make this bfeeding thing work, but she's been on bottles since 2 wks of age, and I'm not sure we can correct it now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-03-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

BTW, her weight gain is great, she weighs almost 12 pounds now and was 8 lbs. at birth...so that's not an issue.
#3 of 6 Old 07-03-2010, 06:32 PM

Have you tried nursing when baby is sleepy/relaxed? How about nursing in a warm bathtub? Have you tried doing breast compressions to help the milk keep flowing? All those things are what worked to get my oldest back to breast.

#4 of 6 Old 07-03-2010, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Make sure you're not letting her get really hungry before feedings, as that will only add frustration to the mix when she has to work harder for the milk. Watch for early hunger cues, and offer the breast in between feedings, even.

You're doing a great job!!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#5 of 6 Old 07-04-2010, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

I've been doing what you all mentioned, except I haven't tried the tub. Will try that tonight. I'm afraid to eliminate the bottle, scared that she won't get enough. Should she still be having six to eight wet diapers a day? Is that it? Thanks!
#6 of 6 Old 07-04-2010, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
In response to last post
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

There are resources there for helping baby get back to breast to I bet. I have no experience there personally but I am happy you are finding a way to breastfeed!

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Me-
Hubby-
12 yo dd1-
; 7 yo dd2-
, 7 yo dss1
dss2

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page